Is my puppy too small?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
    What Samantha said- he can be registered because he is purebred Dane. This is why "AKC registered" doesn't always mean "responsible breeder".
    Ok, I understand now. My son will show him in 4-H and that's it. Color won't matter to them. I love his color and think he is beautiful, but it is still in the back of my mind that it is not an accepted color.

He's such a good pup, seems smart, has had no accidents in the house etc. I just hope all works out as I have not had the greatest luck with dogs.

Does anyone happen to know what colors produce a piebald great dane? I asssume this is also not accepted but would like to know for myself. I have attached his pic.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mishenko View Post
      Ok, I understand now. My son will show him in 4-H and that's it. Color won't matter to them. I love his color and think he is beautiful, but it is still in the back of my mind that it is not an accepted color.

He's such a good pup, seems smart, has had no accidents in the house etc. I just hope all works out as I have not had the greatest luck with dogs.

Does anyone happen to know what colors produce a piebald great dane? I asssume this is also not accepted but would like to know for myself. I have attached his pic.
      Piebalds are produced from harlequin/mantle litters. They're a normal product of those color breedings, just not for showing. My pup is a merle piebald.
      sigpic
      Fergus
      SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
      Eisen Shark
      C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

A piebald is a mismarked mantle.

Comment

Just FYI merle is just a pattern gene, all colors are possible. Your pup looks either brindle merle or a fawn merle.
          Ideally a color pure breed harlequins and mantles would only throw the grey and black merles. GDCA does not go into detail beyond the ideal color pairings.
          Piebalds, merles, whites, merlequins, and mismarked blacks are considered normal non show colors expected to pop up in litters.
          Your piebald boy is considered a normal mismark.
          Your newest pup is from an irresponsible color pairing, colors are suppose to be paired to increase the number of showable pups and pups of breed standard color.
          Most brindle dogs also carry fawn, so not only did they add brindle but likely fawn to most of the pups in the litter, and sire added additional white to any solid dog.
          Anyhow I wanted to add another member purchased two merle pups a boy and a girl, at 8 weeks they were 15 or 18 pounds, whatever it was they were equal in size. As adults the girl was 30 inches tall and the boy was 38 inches tall neither were heavy as adults, but clearly puppy size means very little.

Comment

Originally posted by angeldane View Post
            Just FYI merle is just a pattern gene, all colors are possible. Your pup looks either brindle merle or a fawn merle.
            Ideally a color pure breed harlequins and mantles would only throw the grey and black merles. GDCA does not go into detail beyond the ideal color pairings.
            Piebalds, merles, whites, merlequins, and mismarked blacks are considered normal non show colors expected to pop up in litters.
            Your piebald boy is considered a normal mismark.
            Your newest pup is from an irresponsible color pairing, colors are suppose to be paired to increase the number of showable pups and pups of breed standard color.
            Most brindle dogs also carry fawn, so not only did they add brindle but likely fawn to most of the pups in the litter, and sire added additional white to any solid dog.
            Anyhow I wanted to add another member purchased two merle pups a boy and a girl, at 8 weeks they were 15 or 18 pounds, whatever it was they were equal in size. As adults the girl was 30 inches tall and the boy was 38 inches tall neither were heavy as adults, but clearly puppy size means very little.
            Our new pup's mom was brindle and you can see the brindle in the background when he is in the sun. He has spots like his dad though which appear to be like an outer layer.

It will be interesting to see how he grows. He was about 10 pounds at 6 weeks and when I weighed him a few days ago for the post he was a little over 17 just past 8 weeks. That seems like a significant weight gain anyhow. He's eating good now and I think the food that I am feeding is much better than what he was on, plus he is getting atleast a cup more than what they were giving him. You can still see his ribs when he is playing.

Comment

I know this post is really old but I was wondering how your pup turned out. We purchased a puppy that was 9lb at 8 weeks and I was curious to see what size your dog was as an adult.

Comment

Working...
              X