Soon to be new dane mommy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soon to be new dane mommy

Hi everyone I am soon to be the new mommy of a beautiful baby fawn Great Dane and have never been happier or more excited about something. I feel in love with the breed as a little girl and now after many many years of waiting to bring this breed into my life I will be brining him home on March 18th. This is a responsibility that have not taken lightly and have probably spent the last ten years reading about the Dane but I still feel that I'm not completely ready for him for some reason. There are so many different ways to raid and feed and over all care for a Dane and given the short life expectancy I want to do everything right or as much as possible to have him with me so any advice would be great. Oh and also I went to a Petsmart yesterday and I met a Great Dane breeder and she told me that boys were pretty much "stupid" and they don't live as long as females I was very discussed by this and everything I have read and searched has never mentioned this. If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it thanks
    Last edited by Elizabeth&Scooby; 03-02-2013, 11:23 AM. Reason: Add picture
    Elizabeth&Scooby

Here he is
    Attached Files
    Elizabeth&Scooby

Comment

Welcome Elizabeth and Scooby!!! I know how excited you are to bring your boy home!!!! He is adorable!!! I definitely wouldn't describe the boys as stupid! And I also don't think their lifespan depends on whether they are a boy or a girl. Many different factors go into how long they live and I am sure it doesn't have anything to do with if they are male or female. Either sex of a Great Dane can be stubborn and want to do things their way. So obedience classes are strongly recommended. In my opinion Great Danes in general are extremely smart but they can pick and choose what they want to do. My first Dane was very lazy and had a short attention span but she was still very smart. She learned sentences not just words. My current Dane is very smart as well and I am surprised daily with how much she knows. She is 9 months old and if I put her collar on she runs over and grabs her leash in her mouth because she knows that when I put it on we are going outside. She also somehow knows when it is time to eat even though she can't read a clock. She comes to me with a certain look and just stares at me and when I wonder what she wants I just look at the clock and sure enough it's time for her to eat. I haven't had alot of experience with males but I did foster a male before and he came to me with no training what so ever. I taught him how to do many commands in only a few days! He was super smart! And very loving!! They all are. Thats my favorite part about the breed. They are so sweet and those Dane leans are wonderful!!
      One of the most important things to pay attention to in owning a Dane is feeding them a very high quality food. Since their lifespan can be short you absolutely must feed them a very high quality food to give them the best chance at living a long life.
      I also highly suggest crate training your puppy as soon as you bring him home. It can be difficult at first but there are so many times that you will need to crate him to keep him safe. Danes are very curious Dogs and they tend to get into everything like most puppies but the difference is since they are larger and taller they can reach many more things than smaller Dogs can. If you have to leave the house you will need to crate him. Danes have a tendency to eat things. Like swallow things whole! My first Dane's sister swallowed a whole 10" stuffed monkey and had to have a $2,000 surgery to save her life! So make sure you crate when you leave or can't watch your puppy. And make sure you get into the habit of putting everything out of his reach. He will grow very fast so adjust accordingly to what he can reach. My Dane recently became able to reach just about anything on the tables and counters so we can't leave anything out. They really will eat anything!!! And be careful which toys and treats you decide to give. They can destroy things fast and try to swallow things that are too small. It can be a challenge to find things that are suitable for Danes to chew on that they don't try to swallow or destroy.
      And the last thing I have to add is to familiarize yourself with bloat. You need to know the signs and symptoms so that you are prepared to deal with this occurrence if it should happen. Learn what you can do to try and prevent it as well. I have a print out of the signs and symptoms handy in case I need it.
      Good luck with your new puppy Scooby!! I know it can be overwhelming. Danes are definitely a breed that requires more thought and education but they are totally worth it. Once you have one you will be hooked for life!!!
      Looking forward to seeing more pics of your pup and feel free to ask any and all questions you may have during your transition into new mommy danehood.
      sigpic
      There Is Nothing Like A Dane!!!!!!
      Cheech~Chihuahua~5/26/98-4/23/10
      Valentina~Merle Dane~11/1/03-2/3/12
      Emalee~12 1/2 yrs Red Doberman
      Takoa~2 1/2 yrs ~Harlequin Dane
      Sunshine~11 3/4 yr Orange Tabby

Comment

Congrats on being a Dane mommy. Scooby is adorable!
        Intelligence has nothing to do with lifespan whatsoever, not just in Danes but all breeds and even humans. The "breeder" that told you that is probably just another idiot BYB
        I have had both males and females and I prefer males. I do not want any more females. Now, let me say this first, the sex does not guarantee a certain temperament, attitude, or behavior. Each dog is an individual. However, after years of owning most sexes it is my opinion that they generally are different. Females tend to be smarter, more curious, stubborn and a little bitchy. While male are goofy, playful, lazy, and big babies. Females are usually more independent and males want constant attention and love. Sometimes females are more protective as well however, as I said before it depends on each individual dog.
        sigpic

Comment

I would say you're going to meet a lot of self proclaimed ''experts'' on Danes over the years, don't listen to everything they say! There's no correlation as far as I know between intelligence and lifespan... Lifespan has more to do with if you went with a good health testing breeder, and how the Dane is looked after throughout its life
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome! Your Scooby is so cute! I'm looking forward to hear all of your adventures with your new pup as I will be getting my first dane around April1st. We can swap stories. I love fawns but then again I love them all! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X