Need help with mosquito control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with mosquito control

Any helpful hints would be appreciated. We are having the worst mosquito season ever here. Besides mosquito repellant, any ideas for keeping the mosquitos from blanketing the house when the dogs come in at night? We aren't turning on the outside lights, but even the faint light from inside is causing them to form a wall on the patio doors, so when the dogs come in the mosquitos rush in. We had to vacuum the ceiling last night after the dogs came in.
    sigpic
    Deb

Duke and Ivy

We too are having a HORRIBLE mosquito problem right now. We had Orkin (am I allowed to say that?) out to treat the house for other critters and asked about the mosquitos. He said that they can come and treat the house for them! I honestly had no idea. He said they like to "get up under things", like the eaves of the roof and the under side of the leaves on trees. He said they treat those areas and bait any standing water. That takes care of it supposedly! I will be calling them tomorrow...it really creeps me out the way they swarm into the house when we open the door!
    sigpic
    Cara, Wife to Tony, Mom to...
    2 great kids, Anthony Jr. (12) and Olivia (5)
    Molly, my first Dane (2)
    Aspen, my deafie rescue girl (4)
    Crosby, my wobbly rescue boy *RIP* at 20 months.

Comment

Last night my husband was going to fog the patio and around the door, just to get the dogs out and in for the night. But it ended up being very windy so he couldn't (you can get a fogger at Ace Hardware and the repellant, have no idea what kind of biohazard it is though). If it wouldn't scare the pants off the dogs, I would consider the leaf blower blown from inside to outside or side to side at the door as they are coming in..
      sigpic
      Deb

Duke and Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeetlemom View Post
        If it wouldn't scare the pants off the dogs, I would consider the leaf blower blown from inside to outside or side to side at the door as they are coming in..
        Excellent idea!! That would work for the thousands of june bugs and moths that try to come in with the mosquitos too!
        sigpic
        Cara, Wife to Tony, Mom to...
        2 great kids, Anthony Jr. (12) and Olivia (5)
        Molly, my first Dane (2)
        Aspen, my deafie rescue girl (4)
        Crosby, my wobbly rescue boy *RIP* at 20 months.

Comment

I have a bug screen for my back door. It's just like a curtain, but screen mesh to keep out the bugs. I got it on Amazon for about $50 and it works really well. Only bad thing is that the velcro they give you to attach it sucks. Best bet is a couple nails to keep it in place.
          sigpicIs it dinnertime yet?

Comment

I HATE mosquitos...

Hi there!

I have just moved from a part of Canada where we hardly have ANY mosquitos, to a place where there are THOUSANDS! MILLIONS maybe... both I am my four Danes are being eaten alive... so I have discovered a couple of products recently that I would like to share...

Mosquito Barrier - www.mosquitobarrier.com - this is a garlic juice liquid that you add to water/vegetable oil and spray over your lawn and any standing water. It is not harmful to anmials but biting insects avoid like crazy! Garlic smell lasts briefly to the human nose but keeps bugs away for weeks! check out testimonials from municipalities and golf courses!

Thermacell - www.thermacell.com - they make butane powered lanterns and applicances with a mosquito repellant that really seems to work! I have a couple of lanterns going anytime the dogs are coming in and out of the house so they have a 'safe zone' to hang out in!

Skeeter Vac - www.mosquitocontroltrap.com - propane powered with attractants that simulate living things, then traps mosquitos inside - covers an acre of area

Supershield Green - http://www.absorbine.com/products/fl...rashield-green - this is a product for horses, but works wonderfully on dogs too - no chemicals, just natural oils that bugs don't like, such as lavender, eucalyptus, lemon, pine - it's a coat conditioner too with aloe, witch hazel and lanolin!

hope this helps!
            cheers,
            Renata
            & Devynn, Timber, Echo, and Kindle

Comment

I have a Tiki torch going by our front door and that seams to help. I'm right by The Platte River, and a canal. We've had non stop rain since May. I've been happy with the torches. I got them from Dollar General for 4.00 each.
              Amy; Wife to Ben, Mother to Ricky (4) Gracie (3) Kamryn (3 months). Pet to (GD) Zeus, and (BHs) Blue and Stuff. Cat owner to Kitty.

Comment

thread revival

I've done some searching and I was wondering if anyone here knows about the citronella grass... I want natural help to keep the skeeters out of the yard... but don't want it to hurt my pups!!! I don't want to spray me and/or the dogs down with stuff all the time so I am looking at some landscaping options.

I've read about some citronella grass, lemon grass... and what nots... any thoughts on these?

Basil – Ocimum americanum – has essential oils that can be extracted and used as a spray to repel mosquitoes. It has also been an effective repellent when grown nearby.

Catnip – Nepeta cataria – is an effective mosquito repellent. One of its main active ingredients, nepetalactone, was found to be 10X stronger than even DEET in a recent study. It is a good non-toxic alternative to traditional chemical sprays. does this stone dogs like it does cats?? I don't think I can handle a "high" dog on catnip

Citronella Grass – Cymbopogon nardus – is a plant which, when crushed, releases an oil. This oil can be placed directly on the skin to act as a mosquito repellent, or mixed with other oils and liquids to make repellents.

Cedars – Thuja species – Many repellent products contain cedar oil as one of its active ingredients to repel mosquitoes as well as other insect pests. Thought about laying some of this around the trees (mulch).

Lemon Grass – Cymbopogon citrates – containing citronella, a natural oil that repels mosquitoes. Lemon grass is used in Southeast Asia to flavor things such as chicken. In India, it is used as an anti-inflammatory medicine. Lemongrass has a wonderful aroma so that it is often used in perfumes and other toiletries.
                sigpic
                Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
                Titan - GD
                Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
                Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
                Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

I also read planting lavender helps too!
                  sigpic
                  Paula
                  Mom to Zeus 10/6/2005
                  Jackson 12/8/2012

Comment

Went to the local nursery and they had NOTHING, squat, zilch... So looks like some online ordering!!!
                    sigpic
                    Mom of 3 dogs & 4 small humans
                    Titan - GD
                    Thor - GD RIP 12/28/13 6/1/14
                    Finnegan - Mini Schnauzer
                    Cookie - Mini Schnauzer

Comment

If you want some basil, go to Home Depot and get a couple packs of it. I don't use it, though, unless I keep it inside to use as a cooking herb, because it attracts bees like you wouldn't believe. It's a great growing companion for tomatoes, though! [emoji1]

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cedar and lemon grass. Those are my two top choices. They smell incredible and they act as natural repellents for a lot of pesky bugs, not just mosquitos. Also, imagine how Titan will smell after he goes for a good roll in the lemon grass.. All that super smelly oily stuff all over him! [emoji7] My parents had a few lemon grass bushes in their backyard planted directly into the ground, and the dogs destroyed them by rolling them to death [emoji23] fair trade though. They smelled great after!
                      -- Katelyn

sigpic
                      Apollo

Comment

Essential oils

Mix your essential oils with a vegetable oil base before applying on your dog, avoid noise and eyes.

Eucalyptus+lemon is most excellent for mosquitoes.

Lavender works wonders and is supposed to works against fleas and ticks too. (plus moths really hate the stuff I always keep some in my drawers)

Try putting you essential oil around your door jamb (spelling?) it'll be a good repellent.

Good luck!

Comment

DUKE loves basil!! I gotta keep him away from my herbs, Basil and oregano are like his puppy nip. Rub a basil leaf on a toy or bone and you would think I put meat in it.

And it does seem to keep the bugs away...
                          sigpic
                          Duke - 5/13/14

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
                          - Albert Einstein

Comment

OP, we are in your area and we have mosquito squad spray our yard every 3 weeks. It's the only way we can deal with the mosquitoes. I highly recommend it. We can enjoy our yard again and the dogs are much happier as well since they no longer have clouds of mosquitoes around them.
                            sigpic
                            6 year old brindle male GD
                            3 year old black female GD

Comment

Working...
                            X