This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Droopy Eyelid's???? But so sweet!!

My Great Dane Asia has droopy eyelid's!!! I asked my vet and he basically said it is her 3RD lid and because it is white it is more noticable. Just wondering does you Dane have droopy lid's?
    I myself think she look's SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cute with droopy lid's...
    I do notice there are time's I see it more then other time's like when she just get's up. Have a great Monday to all!!!!!
    Asiasigpic

Yes, your dane is very cute. No, my dane has very tight eyes that do not droop.
    Chris, Wife to Dave, and Mom three human teenagers.
    Also mom to Tori (11 yo Lab), , Ayla (2 yo brindle dane), Milo (2 yo boxer), Killian (4 week old iw pup who is still with his breeder and mommy) 3 kittens, 2 horses, multiple reptiles, 7 fainting goats, 25 chickens, and 2 pot bellied pigs, all of whom make life great!
    RIP CARLIE 2/09-2/11 & REILLY 10/4/08-11/20/12, best friends together forever now.

sigpic

Comment

Dayzi Jane has VERY droopy eyelids. The vet said it's not a problem...just keep an eye out (no pun intended) for infections. We've never had an issue. And I do think it makes her cute! Just get ready to answer all the kids that ask: "What's wrong with her eyes?"...lol.

Attached Files

Comment

Droopy eyes are called haws. IME haws make the eyes more prone to collecting debris, irritation and infection.

From http://www.gdca.org/eyes.htm
        Haws and Mongolian eyes are serious faults.
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

Thors eyelids droop quite a bit, but Trinity's are very tight and non-droopy.

When we took Thor to his first vet visit after we adopted him our vet said that since he was so skinny his eyelids would droop more than usual because he lacked the fatty deposits behind his eyes (which made his eyes kind of sink into his head a bit), and when he gained some weight they would droop less. He was right on the money with that one. Now that Thor is getting closer to an ideal weight his lids are definitely tighter, there is still some droopage though...

but I think it just adds to his super adorable squishy flappy face...

Just be diligent about checking for infections and make sure that when she plays outside her eyes stay debris free and you should not run into to many problems!!
          Ashley, Chad, Trinity, Thor, and Guinness
          "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

http://greatdanegreatlife.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cooper has droopy eyelids. Not super droopy though. I'll post a pic later.
            Cooper at 4 months
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2Gr8Danes View Post
              Thors eyelids droop quite a bit, but Trinity's are very tight and non-droopy.

When we took Thor to his first vet visit after we adopted him our vet said that since he was so skinny his eyelids would droop more than usual because he lacked the fatty deposits behind his eyes (which made his eyes kind of sink into his head a bit), and when he gained some weight they would droop less. He was right on the money with that one. Now that Thor is getting closer to an ideal weight his lids are definitely tighter, there is still some droopage though...

but I think it just adds to his super adorable squishy flappy face...

Just be diligent about checking for infections and make sure that when she plays outside her eyes stay debris free and you should not run into to many problems!!

Interesting to know...my vet said nothing about weight having something to do with eyelids. My girl is pretty underweight---we're working hard to get her up to snuff...It'll be interesting to see if that does make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
                Droopy eyes are called haws. IME haws make the eyes more prone to collecting debris, irritation and infection.

From http://www.gdca.org/eyes.htm
                I like how it is suppose to be a serious fault yet it seems it must depend on the judges alot of very droopy eyed champions esp in Europe.

Comment

It's funny you mention about the weight....She was thinner and I think I did notice it more then...We have finally got her to a good weight and it maybe loooking less. Either way it is no big deal to me I think it add's character!!!! And yes it make's her so much more adorable. When you look at her from a distance.... since her marking's are very dark black around her eye's you don't notice it as much. Thank you for bringing up that point about the weight.
                  Asiasigpic

Comment

I have to second with Angle Dane as it being a fault but yet there are many successful Dane's with some droop. Her dad had a bit of a droopy lid and he had a impressive pedigree. So this being said she is my Champ droop or no droop. I just love her so much..But like you all suggested will use extra care on those eye's. Thank you again...
                    Asiasigpic

Comment

Originally posted by angeldane View Post
                      I like how it is suppose to be a serious fault yet it seems it must depend on the judges alot of very droopy eyed champions esp in Europe.
                      Well i guess it depends on who they are competing against?Yes there are much worse faults out there.

Comment

Originally posted by U4BOYZ View Post
                        Dayzi Jane has VERY droopy eyelids. The vet said it's not a problem...just keep an eye out (no pun intended) for infections. We've never had an issue. And I do think it makes her cute! Just get ready to answer all the kids that ask: "What's wrong with her eyes?"...lol.

Zeus' are the same way, to me Dayzi Jane's don't look so droopy as much as the third eyelid is prominent, either way, she is very she cute
                        And yes, they alway, have the dreaded " eye goo".
                        Last edited by LadyD; 07-26-2010, 11:29 AM.
                        sigpicDiane & Zeus

Comment

Originally posted by angeldane View Post
                          Well seeing as my quote was from the Great Dane Club of AMERICA, those European champions don't really apply now do they?

The FCI standards (for anyone interested) are listed here: http://www.fci.be/nomenclature.aspx
                          Haws are still listed under Faults, though without the word "serious".

Besides, responsible breeders know that just because their dog is a champion doesn't automatically mean they should be bred.

I have to say, your posts often leave me scatching my head... Shouldn't the goal be breeding for the best instead of seeing what you can get away with?
                          Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                          - Anatole France

Comment

Originally posted by U4BOYZ View Post

Roxy has haw eyes too and her eyes look very much the same as the above pic. Her third lid is not pigmented as well. I have never had any problems because of it though. Sometimes her eyes do get a little redder than others (hot, tired, stressed, ect...).
                            sigpic
                            Roxy & Ace

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
                              Well seeing as my quote was from the Great Dane Club of AMERICA, those European champions don't really apply now do they?

The FCI standards (for anyone interested) are listed here: http://www.fci.be/nomenclature.aspx
                              Haws are still listed under Faults, though without the word "serious".

Besides, responsible breeders know that just because their dog is a champion doesn't automatically mean they should be bred.

I have to say, your posts often leave me scatching my head... Shouldn't the goal be breeding for the best instead of seeing what you can get away with?
                              Nevermind you just looking for a fight I was just saying I see champs with droopy eyes and the standards are suppose to be nearly the same. Droopy eyes in no way make a dog unfit for breeding no dog is without faults and saggy eyes are better than cow hocks or HD.

Comment

Working...
                              X