Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gastropexi

Hello,
    My great dane is 8 months old. I want to make an appt. to have her spayed. Every time I have my mind made up weather or not to have the gastropexi done, I get a different opinion from someone. I'm not really sure if bloat is in her history or not. Do most people have their danes gastropexied ? The people I've run into with danes said it was not necessary to do as a precautionary. But why not ? I though it was very common for danes to get bloat. It is expensive and I don't have the extra money to spend, but if most people have it done, and it could save her life, then of coarse I would have it done. Please help ! I need some good advice.
    Thankyou !

I personally would have her pexied, especially since you don't know her history (if there have been cases of bloat in her lines). One thing to remember is that the gastropexy will not prevent bloat, but it is meant to prevent the deadly torsion. However, I have read that some dogs torsion so hard that they can tear the tack.

A dog that is pexied, still needs to be taken to the vet or ER clinic if they are showing signs of bloat, but the pexy will give you more time to get there. For me, getting Winston's pexy was worth it as it gives me a little peace of mind.

If you decide to go through with the surgery. Please find a surgeon that is familiar with giant breeds and has experience doing a prophylactic gastropexy. I also prefer surgeons that are boarded. There are also a couple different techniques that can be done, so check with the chosen surgeon and make sure that you are comfortable with the procedure they are using.
    Melisa, Bentley and Ella
    www.landmarkdanes.weebly.com

CH Divine Acres Livin' in the Fast Lane "Bentley"

Divine Acres Busy Being Fabulous "Ella"

sigpic

Comment

My guy Diesel is just a pup, but I will be getting it done when he is neutered (not for many months yet). I frequently worried about the possiblities of bloat and torsion in my large male golden retriever, and I hear about it happening much more frequently in danes. So even hubby (who typically cringes about what we spend on our animals) has said that we will be getting it done. It sure is hard though, hearing so many different opionions...
      sigpic
      Mom to Diesel and Ripley (dogs), Socks, Angel and Oscar (cats), and June Bug, Dixie, Daisy, Mary Ann, Peaches, Lilly, and Earl (chickens)

Comment

There are differing opinions on gastropexies, but I would (and have on mine) do the preventative pexies. As a breed, Danes are very prone to bloat.
        Bev
        Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          Hello,
          .... I get a different opinion from someone..... I need some good advice.
          Thankyou !

Here this is the definitive cost benefit study of Pexi. Basically if you don't pexi it will cost you 4x more in the long run (not to mention saving a life you love)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...97b47be1d80019
          Aadan 12 mo.!
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X