Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good breeders still bread Danes for hunting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good breeders still bread Danes for hunting?

This is spin off from another thread. In that thread, the OP wrote:

"Danes aren't Saint Bernards, they aren't Neufoundlands, they're Deutsche Doggen, descended from the molosser dogs bred to fight, hunt and guard."

That got me wondering if any decent (non-BYB) breeders still breed GD's for hunting or protection work? Anyone know?
    sigpic

This would be interesting to follow, but somehow I doubt that there are. I don't see a huge demand for that kind of dane. Too bad really (insert sarcasm)... I had a poorly bred Harleqin that would have made *perfect* "guard dog" type danes. He was very protective and loyal but he was also territorial and aggressive This made for a huge liability. Needless to say, he was neutered.
    Last edited by WeLoveOur7Dogs; 07-08-2010, 10:53 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chp View Post
      bred to fight, hunt and guard."

That got me wondering if any decent (non-BYB) breeders still breed GD's for hunting or protection work? Anyone know?
      I sincerely hope not in the USA. Homeowners insurance companies aren't fond of dogs bred for guarding/protection. There is already at least one home insurer I can think of that will not accept Danes. If they are bred further for these purposes, I'd be concerned the rest would follow and then it would be harder to own a Dane. I don't want that. If I want to eat pork, the grocery store is right down the street. I don't need my dog to go fetch a boar for me. Thats my 2 cents. Other opinions may differ.

I actually think protective/guarding can be taught and some Danes are naturally aggressive. The one my friend had 30 years ago either tolerated your presence or wanted to attack you. Last year, I was visiting where there was a very large Dane that I wanted to go pet. I was warned by the owner not to get near him. I ignored the warning and approached the dog. He turned around and gave me a look that made it very clear that my next step towards him would be regretable. I heeded the warning and backed away. I finally did get to pet the back half after he was shut halfway into a sliding glass door with two people holding him. That Dane would have been a stellar guard dog. If anyone broke into that house, it would probably be the last thing they ever did.
      Last edited by mydanekimba; 07-07-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

short answer- no

long answer- the only breeder i've run across that actively hunts their danes & breeds for the purpose was one i stumbled on from Australia about 7 years ago. the only american hunter i know that has tried & used more than one dane will only crossbreed & then only if the dane is exceptional (to date he has only bred off 1 of the eight danes hes used for hog hunting). he crosses specifically to supress health issues. he breeds only for himself & only places excess pups w/ other hunters. he doesn't breed from the crosses (at least not yet) because that would open the dorr for health issues to resurface. i know one of the two breedings he's done has been to a staghound & i think the other was to a dogo. although the dog was a harl, all pups produced were black w/ white points in the case of the heavy dogs they looked very much like mantle danes.

Comment

I know of someone who uses danes to hunt boar...
          Cassie

Comment

I don't know of any breeders who still breed specifically for these traits, but danes are inherently protective and are still a part of the working group, so wouldn't any dane breeder be producing dogs who are such? Danes used to be much more aggressive but that has been bred out over time.

Anybody who is purposely producing danes with bad temperaments would be an irresponsible and unethical breeder. A good breeder is someone who produces dogs for a specific job (service work, therapy work, field work, obedience, agility, Schutzhund, K9, etc.), and improves his/her dogs with every litter (and of course, follows all the rules of ethical breeding). Regardless of what these dogs are bred for, they must be temperamentally sound. I personally believe that if someone purchases a dog from lines where the dogs are bred to work, the owner should then expect to get their dog involved with similar activities. Dogs with highly developed drives get bored easily, so you do have to satisfy that side of them to achieve an overall balanced dog.

A dog doesn't have to be aggressive to be protective. Protection can be nothing more than a dog positioning his body between his handler and the (perceived) threat. But the dog should always be taught to defer to the handler - regardless of what breed it is. A dog (DOG, not specifically DANE) who overreacts or is sure to attack or kill anyone who steps a toe out of line is IMO a dog that is extremely fearful and needs careful handling from an experienced owner (like the dane mydanekimba describes - that is NOT a stellar guard dog IMO, that is a liability).

As for a hunting dog...I see no problems with owning a hunting dog either (many do! - labs, anyone?). In fact...Scarlett would make a GREAT hunting dog, but unfortunately for her, she lives in the city and I only allow her to play out fantasies of catching cats and squirrels in her head.
            Katie & Scarlett
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
              (like the dane mydanekimba describes - that is NOT a stellar guard dog IMO, that is a liability).
              Actually, although it IS a HUGE liability to have a dog like that - It IS a stellar guard dog. When the handler isn't there to defer to, you want a "guard dog" to guard. Most times a dog that defers to the handler wouldn't know what to do in a "real" situation where he should bite. In my neighborhood, I truly miss Ripley. I never worried about our home and we never locked our door. I don't think anyone would have made it inside the front door!

I realize that this type of temperment is not only incorrect, it is a dangerous thing to try and make more of. The average person couldn't handle a dog like that.
              sigpic

Comment

I agree that a big snarling dog would scare anyone way, thus being an effective "guard dog." But it must be really sad living in that dog's head. The dane mydanekimba described probably doesn't know that he's protecting the home because that's his "job" - he's really just protecting himself. That's how I see it anyway. Poor doggy!

I think a truly "stellar" guard dog knows his job and shouldn't have to resort to full blown aggression in the blink of an eye. I know I wouldn't cross a pacing dog that is staring me down with his teeth bared. A dog that barks and throws himself against the fence is impressive and intimidating, but it doesn't scare me the way a silently staring dog does.

I know I don't want anyone breaking into my house...but I don't want to come home to my dog feasting on dead bodies either!
                Katie & Scarlett
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlett's Mum View Post
                  . A dog that barks and throws himself against the fence is impressive and intimidating, but it doesn't scare me the way a silently staring dog does.

I know I don't want anyone breaking into my house...but I don't want to come home to my dog feasting on dead bodies either!
                  I agree, the silent just staring you down dogs are the most dangerous. Mine do bark, but back down when they are asked to, or when they recognize the person coming in the door... Not sure what would happen if an uninvited person came in..
                  sigpic

Comment

Not to mention that most people don't know that an alert bark is just that, an alert, not necessarily agressive. Especially when its a deep chested rattle the shingles dane bark.

If any car I don't know comes up our driveway, and the kids and I are home alone, I let the dogs out first
                    That keeps whoever it is IN the car until I come out and call the dogs. Works for us. We don't get too many people out here anyway who I don't know - onstar can't even find us!

Mel was much smaller than a dane, but he sure was the epitome of the "silent stare" dog.
                    I came in from one of the back pastures one day to find a "visitor" at the house. Mel must have had a hike to make it to the house when the truck pulled up because the guy had managed to get out of the truck, but by the time I made it on scene, the guy was standing on the hood of his truck!
                    Mel was just "watching" him, no barking, but was apparently clear enough that the big old country boy NOT getting down until I put Mel in the house.
                    I shouldn't laugh, but OMG....
                    Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
                    - Anatole France

Comment

So are their non-BYB breeders that breed hunting Danes anymore?

It seems the answer is "no" - at least in the US.
                      sigpic

Comment

You really didn't get your answer did you?
                        well... my Louis is the the FLUSHING part of my birddog pack...
                        My Setters point like hell, unbelievably awesome pointers (I have a freezer filled with upland game breasts to prove it!). and now we have Louis, the FLUSHER... he breaks right in on their point and flushes the heck out of whatever there is to point!
                        I think the Setters would like to bite their little brother Louis.
                        hee hee hee.....
                        SOOOO unbeknownst to my breeder, she bred a great hunting dog. think my Setters would point boar?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chp View Post
                          So are their non-BYB breeders that breed hunting Danes anymore?

It seems the answer is "no" - at least in the US.
                          I know I already responded with my opinions but let me add one more. If I was a Dane breeder, which of course I am not, and someone came to me asking for a puppy to raise for boar hunting, I would not let them get a puppy from me. A wild boar is a very dangerous animal and I would not allow a puppy to any owner who would put it in harm's way. Again, I am not a breeder and don't ever want to be one. I'll leave the breeding to the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by mydanekimba View Post
                            I know I already responded with my opinions but let me add one more. If I was a Dane breeder, which of course I am not, and someone came to me asking for a puppy to raise for boar hunting, I would not let them get a puppy from me. A wild boar is a very dangerous animal and I would not allow a puppy to any owner who would put it in harm's way. Again, I am not a breeder and don't ever want to be one. I'll leave the breeding to the pros.
                            surprisingly many BYBs feel the same way about not allowing their puppies to hunt wild boar. the guy i know down in TX has gotten them mostly off of craigslist when people "needed" to rehome. his current harl, he got because a divorce "required" the rehoming of the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Pops2 View Post
                              surprisingly many BYBs feel the same way about not allowing their puppies to hunt wild boar. the guy i know down in TX has gotten them mostly off of craigslist when people "needed" to rehome. his current harl, he got because a divorce "required" the rehoming of the dog.
                              And the CL folks don't care what you do with the dog once it's out of their home. Probably intact too.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X