No announcement yet.

Gentle Giants?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think any breed should be classified as "gentle".

Gentleness comes from a learned surrounding imo.

If a dog isn't raised in an evironment that constitutes "gentleness" usually it is not going to BE gentle (not always, some dogs are just born with excellent genes or a disposition that can tolerate anything that is thrown at it, but imo this is the excetion dog, in most cases), and sometimes even if they are raised in a gentle environment genetics can fall into place and the dog can still not be "gentle".

I don't think it's fair to condem a dog (breed) to such a standardized term .. one that is geared towards setting them up (as a whole and as an individual) for complete and utter failure.

It is simply put, a stereo-type .. and stereo-types are like assumptions; they can get you (and others) into trouble REALLY quickly.
    sigpic
    A backyard breeder (BYB) is someone who has been deemed not a reputable breeder.

A "Responsible Breeder" supports their buyers, supports their own dogs, and supports the lives of any fututre puppies by having (and keeping up with) all the appropriate health testing suggested by the GDCA.

Comment

Originally posted by lwrees72 View Post
      Holy crap, I found a thread I can agree with David on. All of mine have always been gentle. The guardian side only comes out when pushed to the edge. They are gentle first and have been since birth.
      I was thinking the same thing! LMAO!!!
      ~Amy~

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmagick View Post
        It does greatly depend on how you define gentle. I know others disagree, but I do think danes are (in general) a sensitive breed, very aware of the surroundings...so in a sense, yes, gentle. I think this is also a pitfall too though as I think they are more prone to fear and anxiety because of this (not saying all are....but many many that I have met have a bit more than other breeds). They seem to really pick up on the surrounding energy as it were....of course, again, not saying this is across the board true for every dane.

Physically, well,I still have a deep bruise on my foot from almost a month ago

Couch potato....well, I use it all the time. Ivy definitely is
        Oh man, I sooo agree! Ragnar is an emotional magnifier, and I've had to work a lot on calming myself down so that I can be strong for him. I really noticed it when we started obedience, and if I was having a bad day Ragnar would become a train wreck and mentally check out. The more frustrated I became, the more stubborn and skittish he became. He has made me a better person and I'm grateful for it .

He comes to work with me every day, and I constantly have to dispel the "gentle giant" myth to my customers. We do tons of obedience work and socialization to help him become a responsible citizen, but he still has his mad zoomie fit at home every night after work. He's also broken my nose (in obedience class!) and took my husband out with a linebacker-sized mid-air body tackle while playing one day.

Whenever I get people cooing about how "gentle" he is, I remind them that there's a lot of hard work we've put in to help him be that way (and the job's not done yet!)
        sigpic

"Bat Dog" AKA Ragnar (Proud Owner of 2 Humans)

Comment

Originally posted by ouesi View Post
          For those of you saying Danes are a gentle breed, is there a breed you would consider "not gentle"?
          In my previous career I worked for a company that designed dog outdoor equipment, and for a vet. I can't tell you how many times I got snapped at (or bit!) by a Chihuahua, Dachshund or Lab. Pit Bulls, Dobermans, and Rottweilers on the other hand? Worked with tons and they were always wonderful. Sometimes it's the typical "family dog" breeds that can be the sketchiest, and I think it's a little bit of "nature" and a lot of lack of "nurture."

I think many people who own a powerful breed realize this, and work harder to help them be better socialized. They know the consequences if their dog gets in a fight or looks at someone the wrong way. (Ours are always the first to get the finger pointed at them.)

Sadly, the Labs in my area are the sketchiest, and I think a lot of people get them and think they don't have to do any socialization "cause it's a Lab."
          sigpic

"Bat Dog" AKA Ragnar (Proud Owner of 2 Humans)

Comment

pea was tossed out into a back yard at the age of 6 months and for the next 2-1/2 years, pretty much ignored except for food/water. when she came in to rescue, she was timid and afraid of quite literally everything. she had no idea she was allowed to drink from a bowl in the house, would only drink from a bucket outside as that is all she ever knew. her foster family never once saw her eat. her food had to be put in a different room from the other dogs and the door closed before she would eat. she was in rescue for about 6 weeks before she came here.

it only took a few days for her to join the other dogs at meal times and to take her turn at couch time with mom. ever so gradually, as she came out of her shell, it was apparent that she had a gentle temperament and she continues to show that every single day. i am the furthest thing from a dog trainer there is so i can only assume that she is just naturally a "gentle giant".

it pains me to think of the time she spent alone, probably craving human attention. whoever her previous owners were, they are sure missing out on a wonderfully lovable dog!
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

For those of you saying Danes are a gentle breed, is there a breed you would consider "not gentle"?
              I definitely consider most Danes to be gentle. My Saint Bernard/Great Pyrenees/Akbash mix is not what I would call gentle (except as regards my 3 year old, who the dog clearly thinks of as his little lamb to watch over) in any way.

This, although the Dane is likely to step on my feet, and the Akbash mix has never once, in his 3 years of life, stepped on anyone's foot. He is more aware of his surroundings and not at all clumsy, whereas the Dane is more clumsy and doesn't seem to always know where she starts and ends lol.

The Akbash mix is never, ever aggressive, I hope that I am not giving that impression.

Comment

Danes aren't Saint Bernards, they aren't Neufoundlands, they're Deutsche Doggen, descended from the molosser dogs bred to fight, hunt and guard.
                That is historically true, but IIRC, they were generally not bred to fight, hunt or guard in the States. In fact, the breeding community purposefully attempted to bread out those traits.

Are there any breeders in the US that specifically breed GD's for hunting or guard work?
                sigpic

Comment

Gentle giant, in terms of how patient and tolerant my Danes are with my eight year old son? Definitely. 100% aggression-free? Not so much. Each one of my babies has a unique personality. My adult female never meets a stranger and she gets along well with most dogs, but for some reason she doesn't like the small breeds. If she's approached by a small breed dog she gives a low growl and puts her hackles up. My 6mo male pup has fear aggression issues toward strange people, but not other dogs. My 6mo female pup loves people, but hates dogs outside of her "pack mates". Of course, my Rat Terrier is a cantankerous shrew and hates everybody and everything lol.

I'm blessed that my Danes aren't jumpers, but they are leash pullers despite leash training. They just get so excited and want to investigate everything. They're also leaners, and Dior and Daisy love to trot up to strangers and bury their snoots in people's crotches. Not to sniff, but just to lean way into them.

I'm really concerned about the new "Marmaduke" movie. In fact, when we were walking the dogs at the park the other evening several children pointed at Dior and exclaimed, "look! It's a Marmaduke doggy!", since she's a fawn. I predict there will be lots of people rushing to pet stores to buy puppy mill bred Great Dane puppies with nary a clue as to how high maintenance the breed can be. In fact, a lady my sister works with at the vet clinic ended up with a Brindle male Dane, because the owners got him for their kids and had no idea he'd "get so huge". So, they stuck him on a runner in their yard for over a year and he became aggressive due to neglect and they dumped him off at the clinic. Fortunately he wasn't beyond the point where he couldn't be rehabilitated.

Comment

Danes aren't Saint Bernards
                    No, they're not the same. But I've always been under the impression that a Saint is part of/descended from the early (Roman/Tibetan Mastiff) molosser dogs?

MJ, Natey boy, Miss Teya and Cora

Comment

Working...
                    X