Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much did your dane grow after 1 year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much did your dane grow after 1 year?

So Gunner is going to be 8 months in a couple weeks. He's at the higher end of weight/height. I'm curious how much they grow in their second year.
    What was your danes weight/height at 1 year and how much at 2 years.
    sigpicAngela and Gunnerhttp://www.danesonline.com/forums/co...ilies/wave.gif

I don't have dane stats...but I have mastiff and saint bernard stats.

So not that it helps but they are extra large breed dogs too. So I shall put them for fun.

Bernie (saint) at 1.5yrs was 30" maybe 31" at 160lbs now at 3 years old he is 33"at 213lbs last I heard.

Oxford (mastiff) 1 year old 32"ish and 150-160lbs. Now he has just turned two and is 34"ish at about 200lbs.

My friends dane put on 4" after he turned a year old he is 2 now and sitting at 39" I think that is kind of a rare amount of growth after a year. I could be wrong though. I'm curious and happy you asked this question!

Sorry for the saint and mastiff stats. I know it was off topic. I just didn't have much else to give ya info wise.
    sigpic Little boy!

Comment

Luca grew after his first year another 6 cm and he gained a bunch of mass and head size all the way until he was finished with 3. He gained about 40 lbs. in the next two years in muscle mass.
      sigpic
      With best regards,
      Jeannette Luca & Leo and now Lilly & Sophie

Comment

I haven't measured, but about a month or two ago at 15/16 months, I was pretty convinced Breez was done growing up (as in height). Then about a week ago, I looked over and she was visibly taller than Lunar (they were the same). I thought my eyes were playing tricks, but nope, she has grown a good inch.

I think it depends on genetics too. We have no clue about Breez's lines, but if Gunner is from a breeder, they may be able to tell you how their lines mature.
        Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened.
        - Anatole France

Comment

Louis wil be 2 on Saturday..
          he hasn't grown much taller this past year, he's about 36", but he has certainly filled out. He is thicker, his head is larger, and he has longer slingers....
          (In the pic below he was probably closer to a year, his shoulder is above the kitchen counter now.)
          sigpic

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. Donko turns 1 on Saturday and I feel like he's plataeued as far as getting taller... I think he's got another inch in him though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobe&Dane View Post
              I was wondering the same thing. Donko turns 1 on Saturday and I feel like he's plataeued as far as getting taller... I think he's got another inch in him though.

That boy is no where near done LOL!!!! I'd say he would be his tallest around 18months-2.5 years. Then he will fill out from there.
              ~Laura~

Dori: 7 years (TDI, CGC), Toby: RIP SWEET BOY (CGC), Cami: 7 years (TDI, CGC)

sigpic

Comment

Scarlett hit 33" at about 9mos and stayed there forever...she is almost 20mos now and has finally reached 34" (barely). At 9mos she was 33" and 115lbs and now she's 34" at about 135lbs. She is weird. I guess she's done now. Not sure if she will put on more weight...she still kinda has the puppy ganglies when she runs/walks.
                Katie & Scarlett
                sigpic

Comment

Great post! I was thinking that my Gus has plateaued. He is 10 months old and seems really short. I also just noticed today a dip in his back. I'm a little concerned about that.

Comment

Originally posted by luvmygus View Post
                    Great post! I was thinking that my Gus has plateaued. He is 10 months old and seems really short. I also just noticed today a dip in his back. I'm a little concerned about that.
                    He's probably going through a growth spurt. When their back legs grow faster than their front legs, they'll look uneven. Their front legs will catch up.
                    Last edited by Ward; 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM.
                    Charlotte, Zack (Blue Harlequin GD), and Grey (Russian Blue mix Cat)

sigpic
                    Follow Zack's blog: http://wisdombyzack.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks Ward! I knew I could count on good support here Having a Dane puppy feels just like when our daughter was a baby. I was constantly worrying if everything that was happening was supposed to be

Comment

Originally posted by luvmygus View Post
                        Thanks Ward! I knew I could count on good support here Having a Dane puppy feels just like when our daughter was a baby. I was constantly worrying if everything that was happening was supposed to be
                        I know the feeling. These guys have us constantly worrying. That's why DOL is great.
                        Charlotte, Zack (Blue Harlequin GD), and Grey (Russian Blue mix Cat)

sigpic
                        Follow Zack's blog: http://wisdombyzack.wordpress.com/

Comment

I found this super helpful too. Shadow has plateaued since she was like 8 months old. She's super small at like 29" and on a good day 100 pounds.. Her parents are pretty big and according to the breeders were both slow growers so we keep hoping for a bit more growth into her second year. We'll see.. until then we just call her our pocket dane.
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't remember exact measurements but I know Maia was at least 32" at a year, probably more like 33-34". At 2 years she was around 36" and gained another inch after that. Then we cut the Miracle Grow out of her diet...
                            Julie
                            Duds and Miles 5- and 6-year-old fawns, Smudge (terrier mix); Bobke, Fig, Olive, Albert (cats); Einstein (African Grey), Rocky (Amazon Parrot).
                            RIP Willow 12/95 - 04/04, Maia 03/05 - 10/11, Maverick 11/07-10/14, Spencer 05/06-12/14
                            Upper Midwest Great Dane Rescue Volunteer www.thegreatdanerescue.com
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone.
                              Jessi
                              Mommy to 1 GD Dottie, two skin kids.

Comment

Working...
                              X