nudging things when annoyed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nudging things when annoyed?

lol okay so this is random, but I wanted to see if anyone elses dane did this or just Lyla. If I am giving my other dog attention, or not paying attention to her (ie: on the computer, phone, closed the door of my room) she will nudge EVERYTHING with her nose, more like shove. She LOVES to push the dining chairs around and make all sorts of noise that way, or shove boxes of mail, or shove my other dogs crate door so it slaps closed and open again.. etc.

Does anyone elses dane do this??? I have NEVER seen any other dog do it, and it proves just how smart she is- throwing a tantrum when she isn't getting what she wants like a little kid! I never give her attention for it but she still does it all the time!

edit: and just as i posted this she nudged my laptop and closed the screen on my hands. lol
    Last edited by Lyla-n-Me; 04-28-2010, 09:14 PM.

Zoe does this, too. She's not quite big enough to push much around yet, but I have also notice this behavior when she's really tired, which is my signal that it's time to go to the crate for bed where she curls up immediately. I think she gets annoyed when she's on the couch with me and wanting to sleep, but she can't get comfortable like she can in her crate, so she paws and talks to me as if to say "fix this!"
    RIP precious Zoe
    Join us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/EricaThompsonPhotography

Comment

Scarlett can be pushy like that...she'll nudge my elbows, or throw a tantrum if she wants what we're eating for dinner. If she's looking for attention, I don't reward her with attention for this behaviour. But if I do recognise that she actually needs to get outside and do something, then I wait a minute until I see her focus on something else, lay down, etc. and then say okay, let's go outside.
      Katie & Scarlett
      sigpic

Comment

pea is a nudger but she doesn't nudge *things*, she nudges ME. even if she just wants to go outside, instead of going to the door, she will bring a stuffy to me and nudge me with it. oftentimes, she has to go into the other room to GET a stuffy to nudge me with.
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Mags is the queen nudger, I'm sure. She will nudge my hands when I'm typing on the keyboard. She roots under my arm and hands when she wants pets...which she does NOT get...until she lies down. Then I call her back up and pet/hug/smooch her. She gets her stuffies and nudges me with them, like if I don't pet her when she nudges me with her nose, I'm more likely to if she does it with a stuffie.
          The most amusing thing she does though is nudges the door shut with her nose. Not all the way shut but close enough that it bounces back open toward her. She'll do this over and over again. Sometimes it DOES shut all the way. Then I can hear the squeak of her nose rubbing the edge of the door, trying to bounce it back open. Eventually she will whine a bit and then lay down in resignation, waiting for me to realize she's not laying beside me and come find her and bust her out. Such a weird girl sometimes!

Comment

Too funny - Mags is making up games of skill & chance with the door

My girl will sometimes very very gently poke her nose between my elbow and body, if she wants to see what I'm doing, but she doesn't nudge. Instead, she'll come up behind me as I'm sitting at the computer and put her head on my shoulder. Then the head gets heavier and heavier. She'll do the same thing to my legs if she really needs me to get out of bed. It took a while to convince her that deer in the yard did not constitute a real need, even if they were ignoring her.
            sigpicLisa
            Missing Mira (7/15/03-12/17/13)

Comment

hahaha! so it is a dane trait! Lyla is always nudging us when she has to go out in the morning, or if we are sitting on the couch (perfect level for this) she will come and just butt her head into your hands. I always ask her to sit before I pet her from this, she's very pushy for attention, and demands it all the time!
              She also nudges me away from my other dog if she can, we've been working on her sitting and staying a 5ft or so distance while I pet tegan, so she can see that I love both of them and me petting him doesn't effect if she will get as much attention.
              I heard danes are people dogs, but she steps it up to a level far beyond what I expected. she's not happy unless all eyes and hands are on her. She LOVES to be pet by strangers on walks, too, which is hard to deal with sometimes cause she doesn't understand very few people are comfortable with a 110lb stranger's dog coming up to them and it isn't as exciting to them as it is for her. heehee

Comment

Pepper does this too, mostly when she is unsure of something. Like yesterday I set down a glass of sparkling water and she (I think) was confused by the noise coming from it, so she came over and nudged it. luckily I caught it before it spilled... Also, I brought home a box of some misc. kitchen supplies and she came over to it and nudged it. I have seen her do it with her toys.
                sigpic
                Jessica & Pepper
                I don't just have a great dane, I have a dane who is great

Comment

Cassie doesn't really nudge, she shoves her way in if she wants attention. If I am hugging my husband she'll just shove her way in between us. If she doesn't shove her way in, she'll lean up against us or sit on us if she wants attention or something else.

Comment

Roxy is a nudger too! She will do this when she wants attention (hands, arms, butt, ect..) She will also do this to her food bag when she wants to eat. the funny thing is if she wants a treat and I don't give her the one she wants she will take her nose and push it back towards me. She willkeep doing this until she gets the right one.
                    sigpic
                    Roxy & Ace

Comment

Gunner nudges. Not alot though. If he wants something or is curious about something he will nudge it. He will nudge the tote I store his food in if he's hungry. As I say, if you he isn't sure what something is, he will nudge it and back away and etc.
                      sigpicAngela and Gunner

Comment

Harley does it too. Esp if i am playin with another dog, he nudges them out of the way or tries too.
                        sigpicHarley

Comment

Jade will lay her head (chin) on my shoulder when she wants lovin's. When Murphy wants to go outside and I am on the computer he will put his paw on my knee and swivel the chair around as if to say, 'hey, let me outside!'. In fact he did that just a few minutes ago so I guess I better let him out.

Martha
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X