Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting dane day after tomorrow...anything i need to know??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting dane day after tomorrow...anything i need to know??

Hello everyone,
    Im new here and have been doing alot of reading on danes for quite a few months now.. Gotta love the internet with there infinte of information. Ive been to a ton of different sites. Ive never actually owned a dane, but I was raised with one that was my grandmothers and I have always wanted one. I love those gentle giants, but I just wanted to know if you had any extra advice from personal experience on anything I should need to know or even do. Even if i have read it already. It would be great to know some of the things you have expeirenced with your danes. My pup will be 8wks old when we get him. I am going to be looking into obeidence training and gonna start training on my own as soon as he gets here. Gonna be doing NILF with him. I also have to children 4 and 6. So any of you with any expeirence with young children and danes. I would to recieve any advice you have on that subject. I just want to make sure i didnt miss anything and have everything ready when he gets here. I havent gotten him a collar yet as im not sure exactly how big his neck is..ha ha. a friend of mine knows the breeder and worked it out with her so that i could get him for free. hes a blue dane. heres a few pics.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...v/MVC-001F.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...v/MVC-002F.jpg

thanks for any advice or info you should have...

getting dane day after tomorrow...anything i need to know??

Hello everyone,
    Im new here and have been doing alot of reading on danes for quite a few months now.. Gotta love the internet with there infinte of information. Ive been to a ton of different sites. Ive never actually owned a dane, but I was raised with one that was my grandmothers and I have always wanted one. I love those gentle giants, but I just wanted to know if you had any extra advice from personal experience on anything I should need to know or even do. Even if i have read it already. It would be great to know some of the things you have expeirenced with your danes. My pup will be 8wks old when we get him. I am going to be looking into obeidence training and gonna start training on my own as soon as he gets here. Gonna be doing NILF with him. I also have to children 4 and 6. So any of you with any expeirence with young children and danes. I would to recieve any advice you have on that subject. I just want to make sure i didnt miss anything and have everything ready when he gets here. I havent gotten him a collar yet as im not sure exactly how big his neck is..ha ha. a friend of mine knows the breeder and worked it out with her so that i could get him for free. hes a blue dane. heres a few pics.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...v/MVC-001F.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...v/MVC-002F.jpg

thanks for any advice or info you should have...

Comment

RE: getting dane day after tomorrow...anything i need to know??

Cute puppy but he's carrying too much weight. You need to keep pups on the thin side until at least one year of age. Feed an adult kibble of around 21% protein. Feed three times a day for now. You want to just barely be able to see his ribs.

Comment

Cute puppy but he's carrying too much weight. You need to keep pups on the thin side until at least one year of age. Feed an adult kibble of around 21% protein. Feed three times a day for now. You want to just barely be able to see his ribs.

Comment

.http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/uniden_2007/HPIM1469-1.jpg[/IMG]

I also agree with the weight this pup is carrying, he should be alot thinner, so go with the advice from the previous post! He's a beauty though, and looks like he's gonna be a big guy. So with that sais I would advise against any jumping of any sort, and watch that whipping stick AKA ( the tail) it can really hurt! especialy small children. Good luck with him and enjoy! }(
          sigpicLexi...Forever in my heart. 2005 - 2011

Comment

.http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/uniden_2007/HPIM1469-1.jpg[/IMG]

I also agree with the weight this pup is carrying, he should be alot thinner, so go with the advice from the previous post! He's a beauty though, and looks like he's gonna be a big guy. So with that sais I would advise against any jumping of any sort, and watch that whipping stick AKA ( the tail) it can really hurt! especialy small children. Good luck with him and enjoy! }(
            sigpicLexi...Forever in my heart. 2005 - 2011

Comment

Ok thank you.. Im getting the breeders email from my friend so i can find out exactly what she is feeding him. so i can do the transfer over to what i will be feeding him... thanks for the advice. I really appericate it..

Comment

Ok thank you.. Im getting the breeders email from my friend so i can find out exactly what she is feeding him. so i can do the transfer over to what i will be feeding him... thanks for the advice. I really appericate it..

Comment

Congrats on your new little guy. One thing I'd recommend with a pup and young kids, teach the pup to have a gentle mouth and the kids to be careful, puppy teeth are sharp. One thing we did, we had a large supply of toys for the pup around the house, when he'd get excited and start with the puppy nipping, I taught my boys to grab one of the toys and get him to grab that instead of them to help avoid the teeth. It worked really well for us and, to this day, when he gets excited, he goes and grabs a toy and carries it around, which is much more preferable than him grabbing you. Also, the other thing I tell everyone, don't let the cute little guy get away with anything he'll not be allowed to do when bigger. It's much easier to just do it from the get-go than to correct a bad habit later on. With the age of your kids, I'd also allow them to have time working with you on your training, it's good for them and the pup. Enjoy your new little one.

Comment

Congrats on your new little guy. One thing I'd recommend with a pup and young kids, teach the pup to have a gentle mouth and the kids to be careful, puppy teeth are sharp. One thing we did, we had a large supply of toys for the pup around the house, when he'd get excited and start with the puppy nipping, I taught my boys to grab one of the toys and get him to grab that instead of them to help avoid the teeth. It worked really well for us and, to this day, when he gets excited, he goes and grabs a toy and carries it around, which is much more preferable than him grabbing you. Also, the other thing I tell everyone, don't let the cute little guy get away with anything he'll not be allowed to do when bigger. It's much easier to just do it from the get-go than to correct a bad habit later on. With the age of your kids, I'd also allow them to have time working with you on your training, it's good for them and the pup. Enjoy your new little one.

Comment

yeah, i have read that redirecting the mouthing to a toy then praise when they chew on it works very well. So thats what i planned on doing. I told the children no rough play with him.. altho im sure when my backs turned they will sneak it in...lol exspecailly the youngest. lol gonna have to do some major redirecting..lol cause we have a cat and until she gets use to him dont need him getting scratched as we havent been able to get her declawed yet. and yeah i dont plan on not letting him do now what he wont be allowed to do when older. pretty much like raising another child ha ha!! sheew 2 children and 1 furbaby!!! gonna be very very interesting.. haha... i told my youngest they were gonna have to keep there toys picked up as i have to teach him to potty outside. he said well mommy we can put the toy box infront of our room... ha ha! had to explain to him that it wont take long for him to jump right over there toys box... oh speaking of... any good advice on keeping him out of there room? prob just keep bringin him bk in the livingroom when he goes bk there.. i dont care that he is bk there with them.. i just dont want him to find something to chew on and get hurt...lol

Comment

yeah, i have read that redirecting the mouthing to a toy then praise when they chew on it works very well. So thats what i planned on doing. I told the children no rough play with him.. altho im sure when my backs turned they will sneak it in...lol exspecailly the youngest. lol gonna have to do some major redirecting..lol cause we have a cat and until she gets use to him dont need him getting scratched as we havent been able to get her declawed yet. and yeah i dont plan on not letting him do now what he wont be allowed to do when older. pretty much like raising another child ha ha!! sheew 2 children and 1 furbaby!!! gonna be very very interesting.. haha... i told my youngest they were gonna have to keep there toys picked up as i have to teach him to potty outside. he said well mommy we can put the toy box infront of our room... ha ha! had to explain to him that it wont take long for him to jump right over there toys box... oh speaking of... any good advice on keeping him out of there room? prob just keep bringin him bk in the livingroom when he goes bk there.. i dont care that he is bk there with them.. i just dont want him to find something to chew on and get hurt...lol

Comment

As far as teaching him to stay out of their room, it's pretty much black and white, either he's allowed or not, it's hard to teach them it's ok when this but not that. You can use a baby gate or just teach the kids to shut their doors to keep him out when they're not there. I've got 4 dogs and 2 cats. When I brought home the pup, I just let them work it out, but the cat had a way to get away to where the pup couldn't go so it could control the situation and they're all friends now. Just supervise but let them figure it out. I found with my kids that, the more they were involved in his training and taking care of him, the more responsible they were about taking care of their things so he didn't get into them.

Comment

As far as teaching him to stay out of their room, it's pretty much black and white, either he's allowed or not, it's hard to teach them it's ok when this but not that. You can use a baby gate or just teach the kids to shut their doors to keep him out when they're not there. I've got 4 dogs and 2 cats. When I brought home the pup, I just let them work it out, but the cat had a way to get away to where the pup couldn't go so it could control the situation and they're all friends now. Just supervise but let them figure it out. I found with my kids that, the more they were involved in his training and taking care of him, the more responsible they were about taking care of their things so he didn't get into them.

Comment

yeah i figured i would let them help me feed him. I read something that helps is to make him wait till we are all finished eating before feeding him. they can also help take him out to potty. Ive just got to work out doing actual training..cause they love giving them treats and making dogs do things like sit inorder to get the treat but they get all excited and up not saying the words clear enough i think.. When we go over to my moms her dog will sit for her treats when told to.. she does it for anyone, but the kids.. I think its cause they get all excited and dont say the word quite clear enough, but i think if i do some training where they do itand some just with me... Im also gonna do doggy zen with them training him. that way he will learn not to take stuff out of there hands. but my main concern is first and for most teaching him not to mouth/chew on us...lol

And yes the cat has places she can run to get away and if need be i can put her in my room. thats usually where she spends most of her day anyway. I have a medium size pet taxi that she use to lay in all the time. ive just got to figure out where to put her food...lol so the pup doesnt get to it and eat it. And im hoping he doesnt get interested in the litter box... ha ha but i think all will be ok with the cat and the dog. I know it will take some time and adjusting mainly from the cat. shes been around dogs before. so thats always a plus.
                              so this was so long... once i get started i just dont seem to stop..

Comment

Working...
                              X