Digging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digging

I know this is probably a dumb question but what can I do to stop my Dane from digging? She's digging up the whole backyard and can dig a huge hole in a matter of minutes! I hate to keep her inside all the time because she has been cooped up enough all winter (well, at least since I rescued her - before that she was chained outside in the cold). I know that dogs dig ... but I never had this problem with any of my others. Is it a Dane thing, a puppy thing or just a dog thing that I really can't do anything about? Anyone have any ideas? I do bring her inside as soon as I see her doing it but that doesn't seem to deter the digging but I guess maybe with persistence....

Digging

I know this is probably a dumb question but what can I do to stop my Dane from digging? She's digging up the whole backyard and can dig a huge hole in a matter of minutes! I hate to keep her inside all the time because she has been cooped up enough all winter (well, at least since I rescued her - before that she was chained outside in the cold). I know that dogs dig ... but I never had this problem with any of my others. Is it a Dane thing, a puppy thing or just a dog thing that I really can't do anything about? Anyone have any ideas? I do bring her inside as soon as I see her doing it but that doesn't seem to deter the digging but I guess maybe with persistence....

Comment

RE: Digging

You really have to supervise and correct the behavior (say eh eh, no, spray with a waterbottle or shake a can with pennies), much like training them not to chew in the house. As they improve, you give a little more freedom. When they stop digging after being corrected, praise and offer a better activity such as a toy, and praise them for that if they use it.

If certain areas are a problem try covering or blocking it off. Some have success putting poop in the hole (ew!) and if it is next to a fence you can cement it.

I think Danes really love digging. I grew up with Standard poodles and mixes, and really never had digging issues. My Danes love to dig if they find a little loose dirt and just seem to be in heaven. Of course back then I lived in AZ and now in WA, so maybe the dirt was too hard.

Anyways, people have made doggy sandboxes and you can find some info online about doing it. It could become a cat litterbox though so watch for that and I'm sure there are other cleanliness/safety issues to consider. You would still need to train to dig there and nowhere else!

Comment

You really have to supervise and correct the behavior (say eh eh, no, spray with a waterbottle or shake a can with pennies), much like training them not to chew in the house. As they improve, you give a little more freedom. When they stop digging after being corrected, praise and offer a better activity such as a toy, and praise them for that if they use it.

If certain areas are a problem try covering or blocking it off. Some have success putting poop in the hole (ew!) and if it is next to a fence you can cement it.

I think Danes really love digging. I grew up with Standard poodles and mixes, and really never had digging issues. My Danes love to dig if they find a little loose dirt and just seem to be in heaven. Of course back then I lived in AZ and now in WA, so maybe the dirt was too hard.

Anyways, people have made doggy sandboxes and you can find some info online about doing it. It could become a cat litterbox though so watch for that and I'm sure there are other cleanliness/safety issues to consider. You would still need to train to dig there and nowhere else!

Comment

Thanks! I like the idea of a sandbox. I was wondering if it would help if I gave her one place that she was allowed to dig. Maybe her own hole in the corner of the yard. I would have to keep filling it back in though or it would take over the yard! The problem is that we end up with this huge hole and no dirt to fill it back in because it is thrown all over the yard. I guess I will have to supervise her closely until she learns. No digging under the fence or anything - just right smack in the middle of the yard.

Comment

Thanks! I like the idea of a sandbox. I was wondering if it would help if I gave her one place that she was allowed to dig. Maybe her own hole in the corner of the yard. I would have to keep filling it back in though or it would take over the yard! The problem is that we end up with this huge hole and no dirt to fill it back in because it is thrown all over the yard. I guess I will have to supervise her closely until she learns. No digging under the fence or anything - just right smack in the middle of the yard.

Comment

We have a sandpile. When we got Sarge he started digging in the yard. DH suggested maybe getting some sand and putting it down and showing him that digging there was ok....so we got a truckload of sand. 1 ton of it was only like 15.00. We pulled up in the backyard with it and I ran inside to get Sarge. Immediately he hopped up into the back of the truck and proceeded to literally unload 1/2 of it by himself. We just stood back as the sand flew. Once it was on the ground, we realized that it wasnt that much, so we went back for a second load. So we actually have a 2 ton sandpile, but Id rather spend 30.00 than keep replacing the top soil and grass. Sarge hasnt dug another hole in the yard since then. One other suggestion is more play time with your pup one on one. They love to dig, but sometimes its because they are just bored. Maybe make sure he has plenty of toys available all the time too. Just a few ideas. Good luck!!!
              "The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -- Anonymous

Jocelyn & Layla.....
              in memory of Sargeant Pepper, Gracie, Thea, and our little Buddy dog. Gone but never forgotten.

Comment

We have a sandpile. When we got Sarge he started digging in the yard. DH suggested maybe getting some sand and putting it down and showing him that digging there was ok....so we got a truckload of sand. 1 ton of it was only like 15.00. We pulled up in the backyard with it and I ran inside to get Sarge. Immediately he hopped up into the back of the truck and proceeded to literally unload 1/2 of it by himself. We just stood back as the sand flew. Once it was on the ground, we realized that it wasnt that much, so we went back for a second load. So we actually have a 2 ton sandpile, but Id rather spend 30.00 than keep replacing the top soil and grass. Sarge hasnt dug another hole in the yard since then. One other suggestion is more play time with your pup one on one. They love to dig, but sometimes its because they are just bored. Maybe make sure he has plenty of toys available all the time too. Just a few ideas. Good luck!!!
                "The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -- Anonymous

Jocelyn & Layla.....
                in memory of Sargeant Pepper, Gracie, Thea, and our little Buddy dog. Gone but never forgotten.

Comment

Thanks Jocelyn. Doesn't the sand end up all over the yard though? I would love to do that but I can just see my whole backyard becoming a beach - without the water

Comment

Thanks Jocelyn. Doesn't the sand end up all over the yard though? I would love to do that but I can just see my whole backyard becoming a beach - without the water

Comment

My Lab dug up the yard until he was 2. There was nothing I could do about it, so I just waited for him to outgrow this phase. He did. My Dane is about 13 months now and my yard looks like a blown mine field. If she would only dig where I need to plant it would be fabulous, but of course that is wishful thinking. She will outgrow it I am sure, so in the meantime, I try to fill up the holes and exercise patience. She isn't bored, she is just a puppy and that is what puppies do.

Where does the mud go? There is never enough to re-fill the holes. I like the idea of a load of topsoil, then maybe she can spread it for me. haha

Honestly, I do not think you can stop the hole digging. They stop on their own.

Comment

My Lab dug up the yard until he was 2. There was nothing I could do about it, so I just waited for him to outgrow this phase. He did. My Dane is about 13 months now and my yard looks like a blown mine field. If she would only dig where I need to plant it would be fabulous, but of course that is wishful thinking. She will outgrow it I am sure, so in the meantime, I try to fill up the holes and exercise patience. She isn't bored, she is just a puppy and that is what puppies do.

Where does the mud go? There is never enough to re-fill the holes. I like the idea of a load of topsoil, then maybe she can spread it for me. haha

Honestly, I do not think you can stop the hole digging. They stop on their own.

Comment

Nope. Our sandpile has pretty much stayed in the same place. I mean, every now and then he gets a little off the pile, but for the most part, it is pretty contained. The only thing I suggest, and Ive never had to use it, but I keep eyewash on hand just in case. Im telling you, its a great alternative to the dug up yard and flower beds. As he has gotten older, (hes 5 now), he doenst dig in the sand near as much as he used to. Every now and then he gets a wild hair and wants to. It worked for us and hopefully will for you too. Just a suggestion, we went to our local concrete, gravel, brick, and sand company to get the sand. Dont try to buy bags of play sand. It will cost you a small fortune. Buy it by the truckload. Which is usually by the ton.

Jocelyn & Layla.....

Comment

Nope. Our sandpile has pretty much stayed in the same place. I mean, every now and then he gets a little off the pile, but for the most part, it is pretty contained. The only thing I suggest, and Ive never had to use it, but I keep eyewash on hand just in case. Im telling you, its a great alternative to the dug up yard and flower beds. As he has gotten older, (hes 5 now), he doenst dig in the sand near as much as he used to. Every now and then he gets a wild hair and wants to. It worked for us and hopefully will for you too. Just a suggestion, we went to our local concrete, gravel, brick, and sand company to get the sand. Dont try to buy bags of play sand. It will cost you a small fortune. Buy it by the truckload. Which is usually by the ton.

Jocelyn & Layla.....

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate the advice. I'm very happy to know that she might outgrow it and until then, I think I'll make a really big sandbox. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X