This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 wk old danes

Skipping over the whole issue of someone who dosnt know how to care for puppies shouldnt have them...
    At the beginning I'll feed 4 X a day. They always seem to wear more than the eat at the start I take a big flat pan and line it with puppy kibble. Cover it in hot water and let it soak until the kibble is mushy and just warm, not hot. The first week I will add some esbilac for taste and half a can of canned food. Mix well and serve on a big sheet or several towels as puppies are very messy. As they get better at eating I take out the esbilac then decrease the water so that the kibble is soft on the outside and crunchy on the inside. The first bag I will usualy use a puppy food but after that one is up they are usualy eating well enough to switch to adult food. Volume of food depends on the puppies If they are cleaning the pan and going looking for more (or mom!) then give more next meal. If the pan is half full and everyone is sleeping , toss it out (or feed to mom) and make less next time. As long as they are pretty mobile be sure to have fresh water available at all times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/RipleyCH.jpg
    Nicole
    Giddy, Ripley, Crazy Mazie and Captain Morgan
    Nicole

RE: 4 wk old danes

Skipping over the whole issue of someone who dosnt know how to care for puppies shouldnt have them...
    At the beginning I'll feed 4 X a day. They always seem to wear more than the eat at the start I take a big flat pan and line it with puppy kibble. Cover it in hot water and let it soak until the kibble is mushy and just warm, not hot. The first week I will add some esbilac for taste and half a can of canned food. Mix well and serve on a big sheet or several towels as puppies are very messy. As they get better at eating I take out the esbilac then decrease the water so that the kibble is soft on the outside and crunchy on the inside. The first bag I will usualy use a puppy food but after that one is up they are usualy eating well enough to switch to adult food. Volume of food depends on the puppies If they are cleaning the pan and going looking for more (or mom!) then give more next meal. If the pan is half full and everyone is sleeping , toss it out (or feed to mom) and make less next time. As long as they are pretty mobile be sure to have fresh water available at all times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/RipleyCH.jpg
    Nicole
    Nicole

Comment

http://xceldanes.com/Flagdee.JPG

A post like this pi**es me off...what do you take this site to be. A let's help stupid people who did a really stupid thing?? x( x(

These pups are now 4 weeks old {counting the 9 week gestation} which means your "friend" had 13 weeks to figure out what to do with what sounds like me an unwanted litter. MORE pups to add to the over surplus in pounds and rescues.

Go to the library and get a book..IF your "friend" can read and look up SPAYING.

Disgusted Dee.
      sigpic

Comment

http://xceldanes.com/Flagdee.JPG

A post like this pi**es me off...what do you take this site to be. A let's help stupid people who did a really stupid thing?? x( x(

These pups are now 4 weeks old {counting the 9 week gestation} which means your "friend" had 13 weeks to figure out what to do with what sounds like me an unwanted litter. MORE pups to add to the over surplus in pounds and rescues.

Go to the library and get a book..IF your "friend" can read and look up SPAYING.

Disgusted Dee.
        sigpic

Comment

Dee,
          If you see my pics, I have adopted a female (FIXED) dane and stated that upon my second "intro" to the site, which I don't expect you to have read, but it's there....and you did.... because you wrote the following:

(quote) "Welcome back Michele and Maddie. You really can't live without them..no matter how much it hurts to loose them. And a rescue too...Good for you. Dee" (End quote)

- and I guarantee you ... it's not me. I've been on this site having owned a male dane prior to my female... as you read in my "re-intro" and the reason I came here was for GOOD advice to help these puppies... because I DO NOT BREED! So the "quoting of 'friend' - really is just that 'a friend' and not me!" - I've never even seen ANY animal give birth!
          I DO NOT CONDON her breeding - because of the pounds and rescue situation (THUS WHY I ADOPTED!) - But I don't feel that it's fair to let the puppies not have the correct feeding = So I came here seeking advice from people who actually knew what was proper! - When I received my male dane, he was obviously already weaned (at 12 weeks) and eating food. My rescue female is 4 - and obviously eating... food for years.
          *BTW: I have three dogs (Great dane, yorkipoo and a coonhound... and they are all rescues... my male was the only dog I ever bought*

Comment

Dee,
            If you see my pics, I have adopted a female (FIXED) dane and stated that upon my second "intro" to the site, which I don't expect you to have read, but it's there....and you did.... because you wrote the following:

(quote) "Welcome back Michele and Maddie. You really can't live without them..no matter how much it hurts to loose them. And a rescue too...Good for you. Dee" (End quote)

- and I guarantee you ... it's not me. I've been on this site having owned a male dane prior to my female... as you read in my "re-intro" and the reason I came here was for GOOD advice to help these puppies... because I DO NOT BREED! So the "quoting of 'friend' - really is just that 'a friend' and not me!" - I've never even seen ANY animal give birth!
            I DO NOT CONDON her breeding - because of the pounds and rescue situation (THUS WHY I ADOPTED!) - But I don't feel that it's fair to let the puppies not have the correct feeding = So I came here seeking advice from people who actually knew what was proper! - When I received my male dane, he was obviously already weaned (at 12 weeks) and eating food. My rescue female is 4 - and obviously eating... food for years.
            *BTW: I have three dogs (Great dane, yorkipoo and a coonhound... and they are all rescues... my male was the only dog I ever bought*

Comment

Thank you very much for your help... it is greatly appreciated! (again, I completely agree about the breeding.... she shouldn't have)

Comment

Thank you very much for your help... it is greatly appreciated! (again, I completely agree about the breeding.... she shouldn't have)

Comment

That was kind of a harsh response from Dee. Michele was just trying to help these poor puppies. If she can't come here for advice, where can she go? We all know that many vets don't really have the best advice for large breed puppies and I'm sure she thought that she could get some sound advice from people with so much Great Dane experience. I wish that I had some for you but I have never had a puppy that young. Good luck Michele and thanks for trying to help them. I hope these puppies will be okay.

Comment

That was kind of a harsh response from Dee. Michele was just trying to help these poor puppies. If she can't come here for advice, where can she go? We all know that many vets don't really have the best advice for large breed puppies and I'm sure she thought that she could get some sound advice from people with so much Great Dane experience. I wish that I had some for you but I have never had a puppy that young. Good luck Michele and thanks for trying to help them. I hope these puppies will be okay.

Comment

Dee's response may have been harsh.. but I agree with what she said.

I admire the OP getting help and trying to gather information for her friend.. but this information should have been a priority before the first pup was born... everyone involved has had a lot of time to prepare.. even if the litter was an "oops".

In any case, the advice given is correct... I would suggest a rescue group be contacted, should these pups have any future at all. Owner selection is going to be extremely important.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ecodolicon.jpg

Comment

Dee's response may have been harsh.. but I agree with what she said.

I admire the OP getting help and trying to gather information for her friend.. but this information should have been a priority before the first pup was born... everyone involved has had a lot of time to prepare.. even if the litter was an "oops".

In any case, the advice given is correct... I would suggest a rescue group be contacted, should these pups have any future at all. Owner selection is going to be extremely important.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ecodolicon.jpg

Comment

Thank you so much!... Because honestly, I would not do this. If anyone actually "knew me" as a person on here... they would know that I'm truthful about what I say. I didn't think that I would get that horrible of a reaction... but then again... I am a nobody on these posts... so I guess it doesn't shock me. But thank you so much for your response. - More details... I work seasonal... just started back to work monday and found this out... and this friend is only a seasonal work friend, no contact with her all winter... so I came here when I found out... knowing that someone would know what to do. To my knowledge all of the puppies do have a home. The girls mother is taking one, her sister is taking one and her cousin is taking one... the other 4 apparently her "all the time" friends are taking. I considered taking in one or two if they didn't find a home for them all, but I just can't do it right now...but incase I do have word out to some people that I know are interested in danes. -She did also call the vet (one of the first questions I asked...) - However the receptionist gave her the answer of you simply feed them wet puppy food... (I gave her my vets name) - because that's not how my vet or receptionist would've answered!... So yeah, I guess I could've included all of these little added points, but to me... my main concern was the puppies. = Thanks again!

Comment

Thank you so much!... Because honestly, I would not do this. If anyone actually "knew me" as a person on here... they would know that I'm truthful about what I say. I didn't think that I would get that horrible of a reaction... but then again... I am a nobody on these posts... so I guess it doesn't shock me. But thank you so much for your response. - More details... I work seasonal... just started back to work monday and found this out... and this friend is only a seasonal work friend, no contact with her all winter... so I came here when I found out... knowing that someone would know what to do. To my knowledge all of the puppies do have a home. The girls mother is taking one, her sister is taking one and her cousin is taking one... the other 4 apparently her "all the time" friends are taking. I considered taking in one or two if they didn't find a home for them all, but I just can't do it right now...but incase I do have word out to some people that I know are interested in danes. -She did also call the vet (one of the first questions I asked...) - However the receptionist gave her the answer of you simply feed them wet puppy food... (I gave her my vets name) - because that's not how my vet or receptionist would've answered!... So yeah, I guess I could've included all of these little added points, but to me... my main concern was the puppies. = Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Michele, I'm sorry you've been on the receiving end of some undeserved rudeness here. I realize you are only trying to help someone out.

It's not that you aren't unknown here - you've been on DOL for a couple of years I believe - it's just the 'nature of the beast'.

I hope you'll stick around!!

Cindy
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X