Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence Jumper

Hi all,

Has anyone come up with a way to stop danes from jumping fences. I have a five- foot fence around my side yards and a six-footer at the back of my yard. Can't tell you how shocked I was to see my girl on the other side of the fence. We live on a fairly busy street so I was lucky to get her before she got hurt. The gates were definitely closed and there are no openings at the bottom so she must have gone over. I hate to have to chain her outside but I might have to.

RE: Fence Jumper

Although I'm not a fan of underground fencing, this is one time where it can be helpful. Install the underground fencing approximately 1 to 2 feet inside your regular fence. It keeps them from getting the running start they need to jump the fence.

Kathie Shea
    with Petey & Magoo the Dynamic Deaf Duo
    Aspen & Camilla
    President/PA & DE Coordinator
    Mid Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League
    www.magdrl.org
    www.padanerescue.com
    Kathie Shea
    GDCA Rescue Chair

Comment

"Can't tell you how shocked I was to see my girl on the other side of the fence."

I too was shocked to learn that my female dane pup could jump as high as she can. We have a 2nd-floor deck with stairs down to the backyard. Since we have a big gate at the bottom of the staircase, imagine my surprise when I kept finding lil' Lola on the deck when I'd left her in the yard to do business. Turns out she can hop over the gate like it's nothing. At the same time, this was a puppy that "could not" jump up into our SUV and we had to help her climb in everytime we drove her somewhere.
      Kresge86
      Owned by Ardbeg (dane) and Dell (crazy Boxer mix). Missing Lola, Harley & Zak.

Comment

if a solid fence isn't holding the dog, I wouldn't rely on an invisible fence added to it.

Personally I would get the dog a kennel with a top when she is by herself and the rest of the time she'd be supervised.

Chaining a dog, IMO is not an option.

Sandy

http://home.earthlink.net/~witzndanes/dec15logogo.jpg
        http://web.mac.com/Witzn
        http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

You can run electric cow/horse fence on your regular fence they usaly will stay away from the fence after they NO its their and on.

http://www.xceldanes.com/naptime_2.JPG
          Lisa
          www.xceldanes.com
          sigpicLisa
          www.xceldanes.com

Comment

You can plant bushes a few feet from the fence where she can't get close enough while running to jump.

Bill Carnes
            www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
            Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
            Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
            Bill Carnes

Comment

While my dane girl would never jump my fence (she would be too concerned with how she would get back to her food and couch lol) I also own sporting dogs who can scale a 6ft fence without blinking an eye.

The invisible fence works wonders, they wouldn't get near the fence for anything even if the collar is off lol. It has contained even the best fence jumpers.

I agree you could also run electric fence but then again you or your kids also couldn't touch the fence so I'd probably stay away from that if you have kids or are clumsy like me

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback. I will look into electric fencing but I like the idea of bushes, too. Thanks so much.

Comment

>>> I will look into electric fencing but I like the idea of bushes, too.<<<

I think you must observe how your Dane is getting over the Fence. before deciding what method to employ.

I have had some that could just leap like a deer over fences from a standstill.
                  Sean

Comment

Is she jumping the fence or climbing over? If possible, eliminate any middle rails that afford a foothold, hindering climbing over. My Danes can jump a 4' from a standstill. I am going to resort to thick evergreen shrubbery/hedges. Electric fencing: check your local ordinances to be certain you are not setting yourself up for a fine and a lawsuit.

Comment

Is she jumping the fence or climbing over? If possible, eliminate any middle rails that afford a foothold, hindering climbing over. My Danes can jump a 4' from a standstill. I am going to resort to thick evergreen shrubbery/hedges. Electric fencing: check your local ordinances to be certain you are not setting yourself up for a fine and a lawsuit.

Comment

Working...
                      X