Danes and Horses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danes and Horses

Hi, I am a new user and wondered if anyone here has Danes and Horses. If so do you trail ride with them? We are thinking about getting a Dane but I do alot of trail riding and want to make sure it would be a good match BEFORE we purchase. Do they have enough stamina for this? Please...any info will help.

RE: Danes and Horses

>Hi, I am a new user and wondered if anyone here has Danes and
    >Horses. If so do you trail ride with them? We are thinking
    >about getting a Dane but I do alot of trail riding and want to
    >make sure it would be a good match BEFORE we purchase. Do they
    >have enough stamina for this? Please...any info will help.

The monster has been around horses (mostly rescues from senior to foals, with a few blind horses) since the day I got him. (I picked him up and then had to go feed.) He's one of the best barn dogs Iíve had and he's not even 6 months.

Since he's a puppy I don't exercise him a lot but I usually only take me out on the trails when I ride one of the blind horses as our treks are much shorter, and Iíve never had a problem. He keeps up fine and already knows better than to get under foot. It depends on how much trail riding you're going to be doing.

If you're riding the John Wayne trail and want a dog to follow you for hours or days on end, you would probably be better off with a blue healer. But if you're only going out after work or on the weekends for a couple hours I think a Dane would be fine.

Comment

We take Jasper and Baron on trail rides with us all the time. It's good exercise for them, and they can also warn you if there are any dangers up ahead before you will ever see them (other dogs, bears, etc).

Ashley & The Crew
      See my babies:
      Jasper:http://www.dogster.com/?64247
      Baron:http://www.dogster.com/?97587

"It's better to light one candle, than to curse the darkness."

Comment

My experiences with horses and danes is different.My horses don't like anything in thier pasture.They put the run on dogs,deer,pheasants.one of my danes got in the pasture once,i thought she was a goner.luckily the hooves missed.THey do visit over the fence by nuzzeling each other.I guess it depends on the horse.Rhonda

Comment

Thank you all so much for the help. We have decided to get a pup. Now I just have to find the right one.

Comment

Best of luck in your search.You wait danes are addicting.Rhonda

Comment

That's great! Good luck, and the best advice I can give is to really socialize your new pup with the horses as much as possible when he/she is young...so when it comes time for bringing him with you on trail rides, they we be completely comfortable being around each other. You'll also want to wait awhile before you start bringing him/her with you on rides, because too much forced or really strenuous exercise at a young age can be hard on their growing bones and joints.

Comment

Working...
              X