It's finally happened...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's finally happened...

Well I was finally asked if I "had a saddle for that thing". :f I was getting into my truck and Ansel was in the back seat, and this guy parked next to me leaned out his window and asked me that. How clever and original of him LOL.

Amanda and Ansel

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/atieman/Hello.jpg
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    -Roger Caras

RE: It's finally happened...

LOL. It gets worse the bigger they get. I can't count the numerous ridiculous comments I get when I take Brutus out. I sometimes walk him in my aunt's neighborhood in the evenings and my aunt is amazed that Brutus actually stops traffic (Danes aren't very common here and the ones you do see usually aren't behaved enough to be walked in public or approached by people). lol People will stop and ask all sorts of goofy questions.

Wait till they ask :how much does that thing eat?" or "Geez..what do you feed that monster?". When they do tell them "One small child every couple days keeps him full and happy". Never fails to get a great look of shock and confusion. hehehehe ;a)

Comment

I have a feeling Ansel might draw the same kind of attention, as I know there are a few danes around here, but I've never really seen them out in public. I told that guy, "No, he's still not full grown and I don't want to have to put out the money for 2. I'll have him fitted when he's finished growing". LOL

Amanda and Ansel

-Roger Caras

Comment

Good one! :e)
        sigpicLexi...Forever in my heart. 2005 - 2011

Comment

Great come back. When asked how much Sarge or Layla eat, I say "why, are you missing a child?" Usually keeps them quiet after that.
          "The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -- Anonymous

Jocelyn & Layla.....
          in memory of Sargeant Pepper, Gracie, Thea, and our little Buddy dog. Gone but never forgotten.

Comment

You know, do they honestly think that they are the first person to ask that question? Seriously it isn't (or to me doesn't seem) original at all. :f

Amanda and Ansel

-Roger Caras

Comment

lol if I dont get the saddle question or the food question...then I always get "Are you sure thats a great dane? Its ears aren't pointy" Most people just asume Jewel is an albino weimarainer or lab.

I rememeber one time getting asked "Did you know she would get big when you got her?" I just replied, "Well the breeder told me she'd get to be about the size of a chiuaua (sp?), but I think I fed her too much"
              ~ Alyssa and Jewel ~
              http://www.dogster.com/?191369

Comment

LOL great reply! You know that always tells me that those people do no research before they get an animal.

Amanda and Ansel

-Roger Caras

Comment

I always get, "Who's walking who?" What bugs me is that it is when my dog is walking nicely at my side. Can't they see we are taking a NICE walk together!!!! I'm not getting dragged down the road.

I think the shock factor of seeing such beautiful dogs makes some people turn dumb!

Comment

That has to be it!! LOL

Amanda and Ansel

-Roger Caras

Comment

In addition to the saddle and food comments, we used to always hear adults say to their small kids - "look at that dog... why, he's bigger than you are..." We always wanted to turn and say, "Forget the kid... he's bigger than YOU" since Harley was 180 lbs.

Also, since Harley was a harlequin, a lot of people also said brilliant things like "Is that a dog or a cow?"

If anyone's interested, check out "Me Talk Pretty" by David Sedaris It has some great passages about his dad walking his great dane.
                      Kresge86
                      Owned by Ardbeg (dane) and Dell (crazy Boxer mix). Missing Lola, Harley & Zak.

Comment

Ahhh come on guys, let us be honest here. Why did you get a Great Dane, so you could walk down the street and NOT be noticed? Did you really expect no one to comment on your nondescript, all too common GIANT breed? Yeah, I'll sneak out in public with a dog over three times as big as most other dogs and everyone will ignore us.
                        Personally I love all the usual comments because I know these people just want to meet my boys and eventually ask some serious questions. Whenever in public I consider myself, Snort and Fog, as ambassadors for the breed. The public' s silly questions are just their attempt to acknowledge your unusual dog and you can use this opening to the advantage of our breed.
                        I cheerfully laugh and ask them if they would like to meet my boys. I answer their usual questions, let their kids hug the big dogs, let them take tons of pictures with their cell phones and do my best to educate others on the needs and joys of the Great Dane. Soon these curious people express an interest in owning one of these gentle giants and then I hand them one of my homemade business cards giving them all the current information for our local Great Dane rescue. Our liaison efforts have helped unite many good homes with many deserving homeless Danes.
                        When I get tired of the saddle, how much do they eat, and who is walking who questions, then I will get a dog who can travel the world in wonderful incognito.:+

Comment

Edited to fix my smiley.

I'm not saying I didn't expect anyone to notice. What I was commenting on was the lack of creativity or directness. It's the same when people find out I speak Spanish.... "Ah cervesa!" As if the word for beer is the end all be all for Spanish vocabulary. (That or the ever popular "Hola amigo" :f ) I also wasn't rude when I replied to the gentleman, I said it in a joking tone. I was rather meaning that it would be nice for someone to be creative in a comment. Or if you want to know about my dog, ask me. }(

Amanda and Ansel

-Roger Caras

Comment

> I was rather meaning that it would be nice for someone to be creative in a comment.

Yeah, I hear you. Sometimes you just have to remember that half the world is below average. Occasionally I'm in the upper half and sometimes I'm not. And Amanda, you would really be disappointed if I tried to talk to you in Spanish. Is "Taco" a Spanish word? ;a)

Comment

LOL It sure is! You could always just stick to the words you find in Mexican restaurant menus. By the way I love the names you gave your dogs! They crack me up and are really cute. How did you come up with them?

Amanda and Ansel

-Roger Caras

Comment

Working...
                              X