Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA testing?

What does DNA testing mean?

I know what the Thyroid and OFA testing is but I am not quite sure what Dna testing means?

RE: DNA testing?

DNA..is a test that verifies a dog is really the dog that is being represented. To keep people honest.

A stud dog that is widely used must be DNA'ed.

You must not watch much TV. LOL

Dee
    http://www.xceldanes.com/Fireworks.JPG
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah I guess that did seem like a stupid question, LOL! I know what DNA testing is in general I just was wondering more so what the purpose was in Dog Breeds.

Thanks

Comment

Right now, the AKC uses it for issues of paternity.

However, it can be used, as it is in the Canine Genome Project, for determining breeds. And future use will be for health. See Jo's post about the DNA data bank CHIC is starting.

mp

Comment

There are DNA profiles and there are DNA profiles.

Some DNA testing is mandatory, i.e. a much used stud dog or someone who has seven or more litters a year. AKC then requires DNA testing.

Then there is the voluntary testing done for identification. This is how one of my friends IDs her dogs. I prefer microchips myself. I have DNA profiles on my dogs for protection.

I don't understand the paternity thing though. What good is one generation of DNA testing? Who were the parents of the parents? I would think that five generations of DNA testing would be irrefutable proof of parentage and therefore the integrity of the pedigree would be upheld. If a pedigree is in question, I would demand at least three generations of testing.

As mp says, see my post about DNA and CHIC for yet another slant on the question...Jo
          Jo
          Hof Kurz Great Danes
          Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
          Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

Some seem to use this as an advertising angle, as if the dog has "passed" some wonderful test. <G>

Bev
            Bev
            Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
            sigpic

Comment

You know, I wonder if some refer to 'DNA testing' when they're talking about being PRA clear (the Optigen test). Does anybody think that might be some of it? In Irish Setters, folks refer to DNA clear or DNA tested to refer to a dog that is PRA clear. Different breeds, different terminology. At least that's the first thing that ran through my mind, anyway.

Pam

Comment

So in Irishes they're testing for a specific gene for PRA?

I don't think we have any genetic tests for Great Danes -- at least notyet.

CERF is by exam, as is cardio. Hips and other joints are by x-ray. Thyroid is a blood test that measures blood levels.

mp

Comment

>>>Some DNA testing is mandatory, i.e. a much used stud dog or someone who has seven or more litters a year. AKC then requires DNA testing.<<<

Also DNA is required for storing and shipping semen.

Sean

Comment

Working...
                  X