Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions:)

Howdy,

Well after searching I figured it would be best to ask the experienced. My house is 1800 sq ft. My yard is 65-70 by 30-40 (havent actually measured it fully wood fenced standard neighborhood height. Is this a yard big enough for a dane? He will be inside with me and I having a custom doggy door built big enough for him so when he grows up and I can trust him he will be able to go inside and out. The neighbored has parks and I HAVE to walk my Aussie over an hour a day plus play times (Frisbee, ball, etc.) cause they are so active. Is this sufficient for danes, or to much?

Okay that was one question I read somewhere where puppies are not be left alone for longer then their months in hours as a puppy. I got my Aussie as a puppy in college so that wasnt a problem, however, I work standard hours 8-5 now. I really want a puppy and I can build a puppy enclosure where his doggy door is going to be. Is that sufficient? I would take a few days off work when I get him(It will be a while, just started looking for breeders) to get him accustomed to the house and everything.

Thanks for the info.

Future Dane Owner,
    Shaun

RE: Questions

You home and yard sound fine. A Dane pup should have any forced exercise so just allow the pup to run and play in the yard, but no walks or anything like that until they are older.

As far as how long you are gone during the day I would try and find someone I trust to come home during the day. Maybe you could come home at lunch or hire someone. 8-5 is too long to be leaving a baby home. And I would plan on taking a week or two if you are able to instead of a couple of days. Each breeder will have their own requirements and what they are willing to allow. Have you thought about rescue? Maybe an older puppy or adult that can be left that much?

Good luck in your search.

Meg
    Meg
    AeroDanes

Comment

When I took my puppy home I was in the same situation you are in. I hired a local pet sitter to come twice a day and let her out and play. Eventually I stopped having the pet sitter come and closed off the area around the dog door and she had access to her crate, the deck and a very small fenced enclosure. I had trouble reinforcing potty training with the doggy door, so I made sure she was crated during the day until she knew where to go. If your yard is suitable enough for an ausie its good enough for a dane, especially mine who would be a couch potato if I let them.

Comment

So even small walks to work on leash training is not recommended?

As for some one coming over and checking on them, my neighbor is a stay at home mom so I can see if she would be willing to come over. I dont know if I would feel comfortable or trusting enough for a random stranger to have access to my house. At least with my neighbor it would be a person who my Aussie and my future dane would know. How long did you use this sitter? I wouldnt mind paying some one if I could find one I trust.

I thought about rescue but I want a puppy that I can train and socialize and can learn to trust as the puppy can learn to trust me. I just can not take the chance of an aggressive mistreated dane. I know I have to watch any puppy around kids but with the training, socialization, and good breeding its less of a concern. With most dogs, mistreatment becomes mistrust.

I can easily take a week off when I get my dane pup, which I plan to slowly introduce him to me leaving and step out so the puppy can get acclimated to me being gone. I bought three baby gates(yeah already for his early years. I also am looking into Colossal crates but I can make a better looking one then the few I have found so might do that and get him a travel crate for my Tahoe.

I appreciate the answers so far

Shaun

Comment

I'd say by 3 months you could have someone just stopping in at lunch time and by 6-7 months the pup will probably be okay for the work day.

Most will say no walks at all for a while. I did very short, 1 block walks to leash train very early as I live in a city and good leash manners were imparitive.

Good for you for planning ahead. :e)

Comment

>So even small walks to work on leash training is not
            >recommended?

Walks for exercise is not recommended. Walks to work on leash training is absolutely recommended and should be mandatory. Just make sure socialize your pup as much as possible, and to keep those interactions positive. One good rule of thumb is that if the dog has already met the human/dog/cat/whatever, it does not count towards socialization anymore. One caveat is to not take him places like Petsmart where is a higher than average density of dogs (and IMO, clueless people).

> I dont know if I would feel comfortable or trusting
            >enough for a random stranger to have access to my house.

If your neighbor can't do it, get referrals from other dog people you know. The vet may be another option.

>I just can not take the chance of an aggressive
            >mistreated dane.

I don't have any problems with someone buying a puppy from a good, responsible breeder, but there are plenty of dogs out there that lose their homes through no fault of their own. Our rescue (not Dane) has had dogs come in perfectly housetrained, obedience trained, good with dogs, cats, people, etc. There are some that need minor tweaks, stuff a good obedience class would cure, and there are others that need more work. The most substantial advantage to choosing a well bred puppy IMO is that they're likely to be healthier all around than a random bred dog (which most shelter/rescue dogs are), and the breeder support you get is invaluable.

>With most dogs, mistreatment becomes
            >mistrust.

Of my two dogs, the one that was possibly mistreated is the one I'd bet on never putting its teeth on humans. There are dogs whose temperament is so solid that nothing life throws at them fazes them, and there are dogs whose basic temperament is so tweaky that nothing less than perfect handling will do.

It looks like you're putting a lot of thought into this decision. Make sure to thoroughly research breeders and choose one that is most likely to give you a healthy and well tempered companion.

Suja

Comment

Hey Shaun,
              Congratulations on getting a new Dane puppy. He/she will make you laugh every day. I wouldn't be real concerned that you will be gone during the day. Just make sure the puppy gets plenty of attention while you are home. He will probably sleep most of the day anyway. Potty training will possibly take a little longer but not much.

If you can take a week off, great. If not, it won't ruin the puppy.

We got our Skylar (Golden Retriever) when she was 6 weeks old and both of us worked full time jobs. Skylar turned out to be the best, most loving, smartest dog I have ever had. She was alone from 8am until 5:30pm 5 days a week. I still miss her a lot. Dogs can adapt to most any situation.

Yes, practice leash walking your pup and get plenty of socialization early before 16 weeks. Start training as soon as you get him/her home.

Bill Carnes
              www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
              Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
              Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
              Bill Carnes

Comment

I agree 100 % with everything "trainer" has mentioned. Our situation was identical to his. I would be unemployed right now if I took that kind of time off. Trainer know whats up. Very good advice.
                Hey one thing that I wish someone would have told us. Start trimming the nails when he /she is young and when it's appropriate. We didn't, BIG mistake. It's to the point that he hears the drawer open two rooms away ! And our vet hates trying to do it hehe

Comment

Congrats on deciding to become a dane owner and doing your homework!

Short walks for leash training and socialization are recomended as said. forced jogging or long walks...are not until the growth plates have closed.

Free excercise in a safe enclosed backyard is the best, playing fetch or some other game is beneficial to strengthening muscles and ligaments and keeping joints healthy. As long as you realize that a giant breed is different than most as far as growth, nutrition and excercise requirements(no forced til' older).

To the issue of leaving a pup for 8 hrs. crated its unwise, as first of all...a pup can't be expected to hold urine or BM's for that amount of time, so housebreaking would be much more difficult. Having a neighbor or someone you trust to come in to excercise the baby is a good idea. If not possible, I would utilize the doggie door and enclose the inside area and outside area(set up portable fencing like xpens) for safety.

Good luck and take your time!

Comment

Working...
                  X