Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do danes act calm and have low energy while inside?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do danes act calm and have low energy while inside?

Hi everyone. I don't have a dane myself, but I hope to adopt one as soon as I possibly can. Since I haven't been around danes before, I don't know exactly how much energy they have. Because they are such big dogs, does that mean they are relatively calm while inside? I know about "zoomies," but do they run around and play and get hyper while inside? (it seems like a dog as big as a dane would be very destructive if hyper while inside) Thanks in advance for any comments or helpful information you may have!
    Alex

Conor 9/1/09 - 10/31/13

Mason 10/1/09 -

sigpic

RE: Do danes act calm and have low energy while inside?

I have a 5 year old rescue that is a couch potatoe, and a 1 year old that is a total spaz, and has been his whole life. He's like a bull in a china shop when he's inside.

It all depends on the dog tho. Some pups are real laid back and calm, others are nutso.

Maybe you could adopt an older (like a year or older) rescue to introduce yourself to the world of Danes? There are a LOT of Danes in rescue needing loving homes. The rescue people will match you with a Dane that suits your (indoor) needs and lifestyle.

V~ & Kritters http://kritterkorner.com/piggyspad/i...miles/1072.gif
    In memory of Henry~Forever in my heart my sweet boy.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
    - Joseph Joubert

Comment

With danes, at least in our home, it the training they have received that keeps the inside of the house "intact"! LOL! All of mine know that while inside, they have their indoor toys, but they aren't able to jump around or act crazy like they do when they're outside playing!
      We have 5 danes--
      Glory--always been calm(3 yrs.)
      Rally--goofball and sometimes he forgets his huge size in the house and wants to play fetch(his favorite game!(3 yrs.)
      Libby--puppy brains for life..LOL..she's one that will struggle to be quieter while indoors and is the queen of zoom when outside!(3 yrs.)
      Gena-is a special girl, quiet, sensitive, yet breaks out in play on occasion while indoors...but for a pup is excellent.(9 months)
      Indy--she's the mischevous one! I should have changed her call name to Imp! She is the one that likes to figure out how to get around the in-house rules. Clever, and if not supervised would be chasing the cat 90 miles an hour up and down the stairs(10 months)
      So, in answer to your question, yes they CAN be calm, but training is usually the key, unless they're like Glory--born good, or Gena..too regal to be silly and crazy in the house.

Comment

I would say, for the most part, yes. They will spend a large majority of the day either laying on the couch or just trailing you around the house (Stella even waits for me in the hallway right outside the bathroom door when I take a shower). Stella also likes to go to bed early and get up late.

However, they do like to play, and will get bursts of energy, which is when the zoomies come into play. Stella will run laps around the living room, and LOVES to jump over the back of the sofa as part of her routine. She plays king of the hill with my mom's yellow lab when we're visiting.

With that said, she hasn't broken/damaged anything since she was a puppy, and even then, it was only once and wasn't really her fault. We were visiting my best friend, and while Stella and her lab were playing, the glass door to the entertainment center popped open, and Stella ran headfirst into it, and it shattered. }( }( No one was hurt, but I was mortified. Stella didn't seem to notice... :f

Anyway, the consensus is that danes are great inside dogs, and when they are exercised properly outside, you shouldn't have a problem.

Just a reminder: Danes are NOT outside dogs, so if you do decide to get one, he/she will need to be inside, zoomies and all!

Good luck!

Elissa & Stella

Comment

Generally, my 2 are lazy bums. But they do get the urge to play,jump and zoomie. They do understand the limitations of indoors, so it's more like controlled chaos than anything For example, if Angus is outside, he zooms around freely,long and far,at high speeds. But indoors, he knows there's people,furniture and walls, so he contains his play to the middle of the living room or asks to be let out to go nuts. I have yet to sustain any structural damamge from inside dane play
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Wendy

Libby(lab mix)
          Sky (RIP--April 18, 2012)
          My heart, Angus (RIP Jan 16, 2014)

Comment

An untrained and under-exercised Dane will most likely be wild inside. With proper training and ample exercise, it's safe to say Danes are calm....but that's the story with most any dog.

Danes might require less exercise than a Lab, Border Collie or some other breeds, but if they don't get their exercise, they can be very destructive.

It's very important to not only select the right breed, but also the right breeder. Some Danes have more energy than others, so pay attention to the breeder's grown dogs to find what you want.

Bev
            Bev
            Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
            sigpic

Comment

It seems that Jewel is the complete opposite of everyone else's danes. She is ALWAYS up and running...never lays down for a nap. We go for a 2 mile walk in the morning and at night and during the day I take her out and let her run the yard. She has broken many many things in her day, and shes only a year old. She knows her house rules, but definately tend to push the limits. We actually had to buy a new couch because she broke the first one with a case of the zoomies...but over all I wouldnt trade her for the world
              Alyssa and Jewel, ~
              http://www.dogster.com/?191369

Comment

Isis will sometimes get all-out indoor zoomies, which we try to discourage but spend most of the duration just trying to stay out of the way... mostly because her less graceful herding breed brother is barking up the rear of the zoomie train. Mostly, our miss prefers to lie on the couch and watch out the window - and when zoomies do happen, our couch thanks its lucky fluff that she's remarkable agile and can clear jump over it... I just end up having to make the bed again at thats a favourite turn around spot!

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/kdkkat/isisvisor1.jpg[/IMG]

Isis on Dogster:

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=213156

Comment

My dogs do their running outside. They are all different personalities.

Zena - Grandma Very layed back. Still likes to run around some during the morning and evening.

Ryder - Mom Very active. She will run or be out playing for a good part of the day. More mellow during the day. But, she must have her run time.

Nova - baby girl - layed back like Grandma.

Lindy - baby girl - a lot like mom Ryder.

A tired dog is a good dog.

Susan

Comment

I have a behavior theory with absolutly nothing to back it up. I think dogs tend to take on the personality of their humans. If you lead a laid back lifestyle, your dogs will tend to be laid back. If you have a house full of hussle and bussle, your dogs will tend to be more energetic. Of course puppies are always energetic and getting into trouble.

Bill Carnes
                    www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
                    Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
                    Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
                    Bill Carnes

Comment

My girl (1 year) is always energetic. You can let her in the backyard to run around for hours, take her on a long hike up hills, down hills, overwater, through the woods....and still full of it. We are starting to try to make her lay down by giving her a 'chewy' and she does fine...until the chewy is gone! }( She won't nap unless she is in that crate!

Comment

That theory only apply somewhat to me. I am a very layed back person. My training methods reflect this. Mostly my dogs are quiet. But, my Danes are different as I stated above. Zena, my male, granddaughter - Nova (4 1/2 mos) and my Irish Wolfhound are layed back.
                        Ryder (Zena daughter and mother of pups) and other pup - Lindy are very active. Ryder will run almost all day.

All the dogs are quiet in the house. None of them are hyperactive. But, they sure are all different.

Comment

I live in a pretty small place with my dane. He gets daily walks but when he gets the zoomies I just open up the back door & let him run them off in the back yard. It seems to happen less the older he gets but they do still happen. The regular exercise helps alot too. If he dosn't get his walk in the morning he's going nuts all day. Anyway, if you want a calmer dane, I'd talk to the rescue about an older one. Good luck!

Shawna

Comment

I live in a pretty small place with my dane. He gets daily walks but when he gets the zoomies I just open up the back door & let him run them off in the back yard. It seems to happen less the older he gets but they do still happen. The regular exercise helps alot too. If he dosn't get his walk in the morning he's going nuts all day. Anyway, if you want a calmer dane, I'd talk to the rescue about an older one. Good luck!

Shawna

Comment

Thanks for the reply Shawna. I don't think I'll need a calmer dane. I was just thinking to myself that a dog as big as a dane would be much more destructive inside than other breeds if any play was involved just because of their size. Just wanted to get some perspective on how much energy that danes in general give off while inside.
                              Alex

Conor 9/1/09 - 10/31/13

Mason 10/1/09 -

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X