watering kibble down to expand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• watering kibble down to expand?

I was talking to a breeder the other day that mentioned something I hadnt thought of before? It did kinda make sense though? He said that he waters his dogs kibble down so it expands before it goes into their bellies and this will help prevent bloating. His example was birds and rice and how once a bird eats rice the rice expands and the bird dies his says the bird is basically bloating like a dane can bloat over food. Has anyone ever heard of this or practice this? Do you agree it could help?

RE: watering kibble down to expand?

A quality kibble doesn't expand that much in their tummy. There have been threads devoted to this topic and some folks have even done experiments with various brands of kibbles to see which expand the most. If you search the archives, there are most likely several threads that discuss.

There is no proven link between bloat and dry kibble. Dogs on moistened kibble have bloated, too.

Bev
    Bev
    Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
    sigpic

Comment

I do it.

Since Lexi's bloat/torsion surgery, she only gets moist food.

You'd be surprised how much kibble will expand in water. Just imagine that stuff going into a dog's stomach dry, and then them gulping water down on top of it. Bad, bad scenario.

I will occasionally give her some of the dry food as a treat, but not much, and I watch her like a hawk afterwards.

Whether or not it actually contributed to Lexi's bloat and torsion, I can't say. But I'm not taking any chances.

Always better safe than sorry. Lexi's bloat surgery cost a fortune, but she's a young dog and there's no way I was going to let her go if she could be saved. I love my Destructo Dog!

Comment

I have heard that kibble(s) that contain citric acid are more likely to increase the risk of bloat if watered down. I have no idea if that is a true statement or not, but it just proves how many 'ideas' float around about preventing bloat.

IMO, bloat is not entirely food related. I think bloat is more likely caused by stress and not food.
        Mandi

Comment

>IMO, bloat is not entirely food related. I think bloat is
          >more likely caused by stress and not food.

I think I would agree with your statement. I have been researching and studying all the info out there and would have to conclude the same. I have dealt with Colic in horses for many years and the condition is similar and stress is the most common demoninator next to obstruction. Dogs and horses anatomy predisposses them to twisting or torsion after the bloat has commenced.

Pete,

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience".
          -Woodrow Wilson

"I'm not smart. I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall but Newton was the one who asked why."

Bernard Man

Comment

">IMO, bloat is not entirely food related. I think bloat is
            >more likely caused by stress and not food."

The 2 go hand in hand.. Stress comes in all kinds of forms and the main one I think is stress of trying to get many kibbles digested. It IS hard on the system since the majority of kibbles are species inappropriate foods (Grains). Not to mention ALL the nutrients in kibble are in synthetic form as all the original nutrients in the ingredients have been cooked out in the kibble making process.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
            See more of Heidi at www.eastwooddanes.com/Heidi.html
            http://www.eastwooddanes.com/HeidiMarch106.jpg
            www.eastwooddanes.com
            Kim E.

Comment

90% of the dogs that I know that have bloated have had empty stomachs. Usually the dog was stressed by a move or being kenneled. The other 10% may have had food in their stomach, but were still stressed out by some other issue.

Of course JMO.
              Mandi

Comment

Also wanted to add that some of them were raw fed...
                Mandi

Comment

Working...
                X