Danes with small dogs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danes with small dogs

I have been an admirer of Great Danes for many years now and have always wanted to own one. I currently love, show and breed shelties and want 1 bigger dog to complete my canine family so I was wondering if a Great Dane may be appropriate.

Prior to 2 years ago I had only ever owned shelties so I decided to add a medium sized dog. I purchased an Australian shepherd who I adore but to say she didn't fit into our family is an understatement. For the first time in my life I have had to rehome a dog, fortunately to my sister but it still broke my heart. She didn't have a mean bone in her body but she played too roughly and on several occasions seriously hurt one of my shelties. She tended to run over the top of them and roll them or just body slam into them and the weight difference made that a serious problem.

I had given up on having a bigger dog but it has been suggested that one of the giant breeds might be just what I need as they have a reputation for being gentle giants. I live on acreage and am quite happy that I would love a Dane but the big question is will they be alright with my shelties?

Devon

RE: Danes with small dogs

I have a dane and 2 dane mixes, as well as 4 chihuahuas. I have no problems. My big dogs play very gently with my tiny dogs. I never had to teach this to them either... they just seemed to know to be careful with their tiny siblings.

Bree, Henry & V~ http://kritterkorner.com/piggyspad/i...miles/1072.gif
    See our photo gallery ~ Updated 1/30/05
    http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/s...=500&ppuser=19

http://www.azanimalassistance.com/

Comment

I, too, have Danes and smaller breeds. My Danes know to play gently with my smaller dogs. A friend of mine has a 2 lb. Tea-Cup Chihuahua and it amazes me how my guys know to be VERY gentle with her. They are also very gentle with my cat and 3 ferrets.

Nik and crew

Comment

We have a 3 lb Multi-poo and two 6 month old danes. They have never hurt the little one and they chase eachother all over the house. The breeder of my danes has a chihuaua that is very tiny as well and her danes, puppies or adults, have never roughed up the little one. They really do seem to have a handle on their giant size. Our 3 lb little girl can have those 100 lb boys on their backs in submission if she feels they have crossed the line. She has never nipped either of them but they know by her tone when play time is over. I would not hesitate to have a combination of danes and small dogs.
        Good luck!

Double trouble and lovin it.

Comment

I don't think all or any Dane would - I think its important to seek out a gentle dog and train them to play nicely.

But my dog LOVES little dogs and is very gentle with them.

Comment

My sister owned two Shelties when we were growing up, and given their personality and supervision on your part, I do not see any problem with a Dane puppy being brought up with the appropriate idea of how to treat a smaller dog.

I have a Dane, two pugs, a pug mix, and three cats. Maggie was one when we adopted two of our kittens, and she was very mindful of where she placed her feet, etc.

Be sure to keep playtime from getting too rough at first, and teach a command like gentle - I'm sure you'll be fine. I'll bet the sight of those shelties running circles around a clumsy young Dane would be priceless.
            My best boy, Trooper.
            sigpic

Comment

Ive had my danes with my papillons with no problems. Even my big guy Snoop is very mindful of where he outs his feet when the pappy would be in the yard.

Comment

I have 2 Danes and 2 Minature Schnauzers as well as a Golden retriever and Chocolate Lab. They have never hurt the smaller dogs. In fact both of my Schnauzers are older. One is 9 years old and the other is 8. My danes are 1 year and the other is 6 months. My Schnauzers both act like puppies again when playing with the Danes. I think you'll find a Dane will be Great with your Shelties.

John

Comment

I think it depends on the personality of the dane and how they are raised.

Bailey is very excitable and tends to forge ahead to wherever she wants to go. If our husky is in her way, she just pushes him aside. If he is laying down and in the way, she will step over him and sometimes ON him. She will also lean against him to squeeze him out of the way. Some of this is deliberate and some of it is just excitement.

She gets very excited when she see other dogs. The smaller and fluffier, the more excited she gets. She only wants to play, but her excited bouncing and barking tends to make the other dogs nervous and grumpy.

So, I wouldn't trust her around small dogs for fear that she would step on them without even thinking about it. And in play, well.... who knows what could happen in the blink of an eye.

If she steps on and pushes around a 70 pound husky, then she wouldn't think twice about a little dog.

I'm sure some are thinking that she would be different if the little dog stood up to her (Rudy is a mush and more laid back) that she might be different. But, I think that a little dog standing up to her may just start a fight. And, THAT, I don't want to see.

Shawn

Mom to:
                  Rocky (Male DSH, 7 yrs)
                  DJ (Male DSH, 5 yrs, Rescued)
                  Rudy (Male Sibe, 2 yrs, Rescued)
                  Bailey (Female Fawn Dane, 2 1/2 yrs, Rescued)
                  Soot, Smudge, Startle and Shock (THE Gerbils)

Comment

My dane, Yeager is THE BEST playmate to my little italian greyhounds..tiny and fragile.
                    He is SO careful with them!
                    He even babysits my little 5 weeks old pups! With my supervision, of course, but he wouldn't hurt them.

Comment

Venus' best play bud is our Aus. Shep. mix. She is small, only 30 lbs. I do notice the difference in her play with different sizes of dogs. She is much rougher on our 60 lb. Lab mix. I have seen her play rougher with other bigger dogs, but always watches herself with smaller dogs. If I were you I might think of adding a Dane that is out of the puppy stage. It would be more aware of itself and its size. If you were to go the rescue route they can usually tell you who is more gentle, who is good with smaller animals/dogs. I hope you decide to get yourself a Dane though, if you get the right fit you'll never regret it!!!!!

Comment

We have a Dane and a Cardigan Welsh Corgi. I have to say there was one occassion when our Dane nearly broke our Corgi's foot, zooming around the backyard. She landed right on Cooper's rear foot and we spent hours at the emergency vet- ultimately it was just a bad strain. My point is, YES Danes can live with little dogs, but it's possible that there could be an injury. I agree with Alicat that you should be mindful of training your Dane to be gentle with your smaller dogs. Best of luck!

Comment

Kind of along this subject:

One of my regular customers, Janis, came in last week and said that she and her husband had gone to the emergency room with their Pomeraniam puppy because their Rottie, (who is an absolute sweetheart!:* ), stepped on the Pom's foot and they just wanted to make sure she was ok. Well, the puppy was fine but the emergency room reported the incident to our local animal control stating that Janis had put the Pom in a dangerous situation by bringing her into a home with a large breed dog living there, and it was the vet's responsibility to report the incident.

I had NEVER heard of this before and just wanted to know if anyone else had. I live in the SF Bay area, so it might just be around here. Just curious.

Karen and her Crew plus Two

"The only error God made when he created man's best friend was their life span." - JP Keating
                          Karen, Chance, Lucy and Savanah RB

sigpic

Comment

My two Danes, Sadie and Hannah, were best friends in Puppy Socialization with a miniature pinscher. They play very gently with our neighbor's two King Charles Spanials. I think they understand how to be gentle with a smaller dog, but I would never leave them unsupervised.

Comment

I also own a smaller dog. Staples is a beagle/weiner dog mix @ about 20 pounds. Molly is only 15 weeks, but I see a BIG difference when she plays with Staples and when I take her to my best friend's house to play with her black lab @ 120 pounds. She romps a lot more there than she does at home. I think that your puppy will be fine; just keep an eye on them both.

Comment

Working...
                              X