Crate Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Size

My family is planning on getting a Great Dane, but we have some questions about the size of the crate required. We strongly prefer the brand Kennel-Aire because we feel it is the best and most well-constructed available, but the largest size it comes in is 48" by 28" and we've heard that this may be too small for a male Great Dane. We certainly don't want the Dane to be cramped in its crate, but we've also heard some horror stories about the quality of the Midwest crates. Any advice that would help us decide is appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Christina

RE: Crate Size

What are the horror stories about the Midwest crates? Most of the DOLers here who have crates use them (myself included), and I haven't heard of any horror stories yet. You will most likely need a bigger crate than the one you mentioned if you want to use the crate when your dane gets closer to being full grown. I stopped using Stella's crate when she was about 7 or 8 months old and she lounges around my room when I am gone (she's usually on my bed instead of on her futon when I get home).

Another possibility you could investigate is the use of X-pens. (But I don't know anything about them firsthand.) There are several people on this forum who advocate them.

Good luck!

Elissa & Stella

Comment

I ordered a collapsable crate for Maggie, and used it for sleeping in at night only. I didn't buy the biggest collosal size, and you probably don't need to if you are only crating for brief periods of time or using it for housebreaking.
      My best boy, Trooper.
      sigpic

Comment

I also use a colapsable (sp?) crate. It has 2 doors and a divider. I use the divider to make the space small enough for a puppy and to enlarge as he got older. Other than sleeping he is with me all the time but I kept the divider in at the edge to keep it from colapsing and twist ties at the other end to keep the thinga ma bobs from slipping out. maybe over precautious as mine has little lock do dads but better safe than sorry!

:P Hope this helps.... get the big-un though!!!!

Comment

Have you considered an xpen (exercise pen)? Some come w/ dividers so you can make it as small as you need to but it will also grow w/ your dane. We had a crate for Odin and now have an xpen. He was "free in the kitchen during the day for a month or so then started to eat the woodwork (tables, doors, etc) (he was 6.5 months old). An xpen was more economical and has a bit more functionality (is that a word) than a crate.

Comment

I just bought the giant sized crate from Petmate ... Coal is very happy with it! $189.99 at PetsMart

Janet - Gunner & Coal's Mom

To see my boys ...
            http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290114239 & http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289735785

Comment

I bought the colosal size, brought it home, set it up and said "wow! this is way to big!". We returned it and got the 48" size instead. Now I am kicking myself! Maddie is 8 months and I think the crate is almost too small! We bought her an xpen and love it and will be buying another in a week or two for our new baby - Beamer and 8 month old male who is aprox the same size. There is no way he will be in the 48" crate for much longer.

I think crates are good for little puppies since you don't have to worry about accidental potty messes on the floor, but I think I will always have an xpen from now on.

Leela

Comment

I agree w/ you on the xpens!!! I've seen some (jpbet catalog, etc) that have divider panels!! That would have been great when Odin was a little, little pup!!!!

Comment

You don't need a divider for an x-pen. It's put together with clips, and it can be varied in size depending on your need.

-Ericka
                  Mom to:
                  Java (Dane, 2 years)
                  Mickey (Dane, 1 year)
                  Charlie (Cockatiel, 4 yrs)
                  Angel (Cockatiel, age unknown)

Comment

Titan just climbed right out of the x-pen. I even tried to put a top on but he got that off. He actually likes his kennel so that is what we went with.

Rebecca, Titan, and all the rest!

Comment

Yea, I just babysat one of those "Houdini's", what a pain! My boys were always so good with the X-pens, I couldn't imagine such a trouble maker. We finally had to borrow a crate from a friend to keep her from destroying the house or hurting herself. She would literally scale the walls of the 48" high pen and try to throw herself over the top to freedom, what a Psycho!!!

-Ericka
                      Mom to:
                      Java (Dane, 2 years)
                      Mickey (Dane, 1 year)
                      Charlie (Cockatiel, 4 yrs)
                      Angel (Cockatiel, age unknown)

Comment

Hi,

We just got Lucy a few weeks ago. I did some research on crates/x-pens, etc. since Lucy is in her crate for a good part of the day while we're at work. We bought the Midwest Colassal from Petsmart, I believe the dimensions are: 48"X54"X27" - it does seem huge for a puppy, but it comes with a divider that is easy to take in and out. As far as we were concerned, we wanted to buy only one crate and this one will fit her through adulthood. We had bought an x-pen (3' tall) but Lucy decided it was quite fun to climb out of it, so we returned it. Maybe you will not have a climber on your hands. Good luck, but make sure you get a large crate to fit the Dane comfortably (standing and laying down). Our friends use the Midwest Colassal and so do several breeders I know.

Comment

We used a midwest crate and currently used a midwest xpen. We did not have any problems w/ either.

Comment

I think we got the same one as Rebecca mentioned..the Midwest.

Looking for it on the Internet, I see it listed under a few different names:

Midwest Collossal
                            Midwest 99
                            Midwest Concepts Collection Giant Dog Crate

They appear to all be one in the same. It is the largest crate available (as far as I know), having dimensions of 54" Long, 37" Wide, and 45" Inches High.

I know it takes up a heck of a lot of space in my house!

Cindy

sigpic

Comment

I ended up getting the Colossal crate for my Noelle...and no, it is not too big! It takes up a lot of space...but then again...so does having a Dane.

There is a pic of her in it on the rescue thread.

Annie

Comment

Working...
                              X