Dane SIZED Toys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dane SIZED Toys

Hi All, I am preparing to bring my dane home in the next 2 months but am running into a problem. Where can I find dane sized toys??? I know he does not need them off the bat, but getting prepared never hurts either.

Thanks for the Suggestions,

RE: Dane SIZED Toys

What do you mean by Dane sized? My Dane has a rubber tire with a rope through it (The biggest one) a Giant Kong (Black kind), plus some stuffies, a big moose and some birds. We got them all at Petsmart. Also I know that alot of people use horse balls that you can get at tack shops.

Ang

Comment

Well in this house it was an effort to see which toys they like and which they don't. Needless to say we've tried a TON and now have finally found a few they love. Good stuffies are the HARTZ stuffie toy bears n stuff you can get at the grocery stores - WHY? - minimal stuffing, so my guys tend to not de-stuff them as quickly. It's either that or stuffed animals from goodwill for us after washing them that is.

As for other toys they're big on clutch balls - the football is their favorite although they also have the largest round clutch ball as well ( I believe it's 9" in diameter). We got it from www.drsfosterandsmith.com . As well as the rubber rings that they have on that site. Those are a great toy as the rubber is very durable, while still being soft enough for them to chew on.

They also have the HUGE hollow tennis balls that you can get from Wal Mart - they always deflate them right away, but they still play with them that way.

And the only kong I've found that my guys will play with is the large size dental kong in red. They actually fight over that one all the time. It's the favored toy here...so we're investing in a second.

Other than that they get the traditional rope bones and a few hard rubber balls that I picked up at our local pet store.

Chewies here are strictly bully sticks or jumbo greenies.

Good luck...you'll probly go through a gammet of toys too before you get the ones your new pup will like...and of course, like children...their taste in toys change as well...

We put one toy away for a bit here and then bring it back out later...makes them more interesting and like they have a new toy all over again!

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I found the Giant Tire with the rope the other day and picked it up. I will keep an eye out for the large stuffies, they seem to be what I can't find in a x-large size. Now I just have to wait for 2 more months to bring him home.

Counting the Days,

Comment

Just be careful if you decide to buy human stuffies for your baby. I was so focused on the stuffy not having any dangerous parts (i.e. eyeballs) to choke on that I once bought one that was filled with styrophone pellets. ;-) Rip, shake, rip, shake

Comment

When Parker was a pup, he had a huge hippo we won at a Dane event. It came from Costco. Its not a dog toy though so you have to be careful about the eyes, although Parker never messed with them. He still has it.

I don't think Danes necessarily need big toys. All the Danes I know like big and small toys. Actually, I know one who only likes small stuffies - she likes to put 2 or 3 in her mouth at once.

We really like the Great China toys that you can get at petfooddirect.com There's a crab, lobster, frog, that are big and fun and pretty durable.

The Doggy Hoots line is very durable although my boy is not very destructive. He really likes the crackly rabbit!

Mine also likes the toys that you take things off - like the puzzle toys.

Comment

Well my male LOVES basketballs and footballs. My boyfriend has had to buy three basketballs in the last year, because he leaves them out in the yard when he is done playing and then Diesel pops them and plays with them.

He also loves stuffies, anything that makes noise, ropes, tennis balls, well, everything. I buy cheap toys since they don't last long anyway and a good place to get stuffies is at rummage sales etc. One of his favorite toys right now is a sun visor that we didn't want so we tossed it to Diesel. He's obsessed with it. So sometimes things around the house work for toys too! Oh, and anytime I have a box, like an empty soda box or whatever, I toss it out in the yard for him to shred. He loves doing that.

My mom bought both of my dogs those tires with ropes through them, and the dogs won't touch them. They still smell really strongly like real rubber tires/gasoline, so that's probably why.
              Mandi

Comment

>>>Also I know that alot of people use horse balls that you can get at tack shops.<<<

Just a word of advice using the horse balls.

About two years ago one of our horses had to be stalled because of an injury. So we purchased one of those Stall Balls from Tractor Supply. This particular ball was scented with peppermint. Well Spyder (the horse) wanted nothing to do with it. So we thought it would be the perfect toy for the Danes. Brought it inside and Ali LOVED it. She pranced around having a blast, then, as she usually does, she started to chew on the handle. She managed to chew just a very small amount off before I saw her and took it away from her. After a while I noticed her not acting normal at all. Then she started to go down hill rapidly, lethargic, excessive drooling she couldn’t hold her head up. So off to the ER and 1600.00 later we found out that the peppermint scent in the ball was a toxic mix of chemicals. Basically I poisoned our dog. As an added bonus the company that makes them didn’t give a rats A**. We just wanted them to put a warning label on that specific ball for other pet owners.
                Soooooo????? Do NOT buy a scented stall ball or it could be the most expensive toy you ever purchased...

My dogs favorite toys are tennis balls and the kongs/balls/tires on ropes. I do not give stuffies because all but 1 is destructive with them.

Sean

Comment

One of the best toys I found to entertain a puppy while supervised is either a water bottle or 2 liter soda bottle empty of course. Gunner will still play with them for hours, never destroying the 2 liter bottles (he thinks water bottles are for tearing to shreds).

Also, the things you think are good and tough in the store, are the things my Dane seems to destroy in seconds. We went thru rope toys faster than you can imagine.

Stuffies that squeak or make any kind of noise are a favorite in our house, but we have to keep an eye on Gunner because he goes into destructo mode after a bit.

Bully sticks are great to have on hand for chewing, but I really think you should only get a few toys and see how your puppy does with them, then you'll know more about what kind to get.

Gunner's Mom (Janet)

To see my boy ...
                  http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290114239 & http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289735785

Comment

Vado has a variety of toys, stuffies being his 2nd favorites. Big or small, he just loves them, especially de-stuffed. His all time favorite is just a plain old tennis ball. He looks so silly trotting around the house, looks like he has "just a pinch, between the cheek and gum."

Comment

MY DOGS LOVE THE TOYS FROM KOHL'S THE DEPARTMENT STORE. THEY ARE ACTUALLY STUFFED ANIMALS LIKE OCTAPUS, ALLIGATORS, CHAMELIONS, AND OTHERS. THEY ARE ABOUT 5 DOLLARS AND THEY ARE ACTUALLY A FUNDRAISER FOR JAMIE LEE CURTIS' FOUNDATION FOR CHILDREN.(WHICH I BOUGHT FOR MY 2 YEAR OLD SON)BUT AS USHUAL THE DOGS ENDED UP WITH THEM AND LOVE THEM.

Comment

Giddys favorite toy was always a booda squatter hedgehog. ever since her first trip to the petstore thats the one thing she will hunt out. she also likes Egg Babies toys they have removable eggs that you can stuff back into the pouch. The eggs always lasted a lot longer than the toy so I had a ton and she would happily carry a few around then bat the others with her front feet. Then came her son Ripley who decided they were swallowable and we had to make him puke up a belly fill of toys! No more of those. Ripley loves a 5 inch stuffed soccerball. its to big for the dope to swallow and he just runs around the house with it. I have found that the big stuffies dont last because they are easier to tear up and de stuff. Of course the other day we heard this big clunking noise from the livingroom. When we went to investigate Ripley and Giddy were running aroung the house with logs from the box by the fireplace and having a grand time. The clunking was the whippet trying to find one she could pick up so she wouldnt be left out!

Nicole
                        Giddy, Ripley and Crazy Mazie
                        Nicole
                        Giddy, Ripley, Crazy Mazie and Captain Morgan

Comment

Odin loves empty 2L bottles, too. He prances around the house w/ them until he starts to chew on it. I have put treats in the bottle and it drove him nuts!!!! He worked at it for a long time but got the treat out and took a nice, long nap!

Odin also loves to play w/ cardboard boxes.

Comment

A great bone is the Gallilea bone (spelling?) Its the only almost indestructible bone I have ever seen I know people who have been using the same bone for years and they still are holding up and my guys love them. You can get these at PetsMart or on some of the online stores, at least it will keep you from having to buy chew bones over and over again, LOL!

Comment

www.petedge.com has really good toys for really cheap. Jake loves stuffed animals and hardly ever chews them-even the 99 cent ones. He loves to chew up the $15 ones from the feed store.

Comment

Working...
                              X