Vet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vet

Well, Frankie went to the vet for a check-up this afternoon. He weighs 23#. Dr. said his heart and lungs sound good and his ears are nice and clean. Said he appears to be a healthy pup. We might have to wait a couple of extra months to neuter him to see if the testicle will come down. Here's hoping. Such a good boy.
    ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

RE: Vet

Yay! Good to know he's a healthy boy. Makes you feel so much better after that first vet visit, doesn't it?

Steph, Otis and Rugby (the Danes), and Muddy, Sport and Tempest (the felines)
    http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/s...500&ppuser=187
    Otis and Rugby on Dogster!
    http://www.dogster.com/?41226
    http://www.dogster.com/?42331

Comment

Great to hear!!
      sigpic

Comment

My boy had an undesended testicle, and I would most definitely recommend that if you can wait a big longer and see if it drops, do. We waited until 8 months with Isaac, and it never did drop. It made the neuter surgery a much bigger deal with a bit tougher recovery.

Best of luck with your pup.

Comment

Dragon, our Brindle Boy had one undescended testicle and we waited until he was 7+ months old to neuter him. We were told that it would probably never drop. We were lucky that it was located just under the skin.

Guinness, our English Mastiff had both testicles undescended and we neutered him at about 10 months of age. The one side that the vet had the easiest time with developed an infection yet with some hot compresses, diluted Betadine being injected into the incision daily + some Clavamox; he healed just fine.

Both of their recoveries were just fine. Hardest part was trying to keep them 'quiet'. We did pre-blood work on them before their surgeries to ensure that their internal organs were functioning normally.

Sean & Gwendilin
          AND our Furbabies!
          BHRR
          sigpic
          CH. SIR MAESTRO - 13 Months!
          BHRR*313 Adopted to Date!
          & Owned by CH. Dyce, Multi CH. Bronson, Multi CH. Tain, PPSS, CH. Maestro & Bleach
          *Animal Behavour PhD Student
          Marmaduke Movie Effect - Great Dane Awareness

Comment

For undescended testicles, start feeding vitamin E. I don't why it works, but several breeders swear by it...400IU twice a day. Also, with the puppy standing and with the puppy on his back, feel to see where the undescended testicle is. Sometimes it can be felt but it is just not in the sac yet. Massage gently to guide it toward the sac.

Comment

For undescended testicles, start feeding vitamin E. I don't why it works, but several breeders swear by it...400IU twice a day. Also, with the puppy standing and with the puppy on his back, feel to see where the undescended testicle is. Sometimes it can be felt but it is just not in the sac yet. Massage gently to guide it toward the sac.

Comment

I never had a pup with an undecended testicle but unless there is a health reason to go ahead and neuter, I think its much better to wait until 15 to 18 months to neuter any male Dane. The undecended testicle may be a reason to do it earlier. I don't know.

Bill Carnes
                www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
                Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
                Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
                Bill Carnes

Comment

I never had a pup with an undecended testicle but unless there is a health reason to go ahead and neuter, I think its much better to wait until 15 to 18 months to neuter any male Dane. The undecended testicle may be a reason to do it earlier. I don't know.

Bill Carnes
                  www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
                  Dr. Tom Lonsdale

"If you won't eat what you are feeding your dog, its not good enough to feed him either."
                  Bill Carnes

"Causing pain, either physical, mental, or emotional to an animal to force him to act as you think he should is wrong. Doing so only reflects the ignorance of the trainer. There IS a better way."
                  Bill Carnes

Comment

I agree with Bill on waiting and congrats on clean bill of health.How old is he?Hes bigger than 23#s in pics.
                    http://www.xceldanes.com/naptime_2.JPG
                    Lisa
                    www.xceldanes.com
                    sigpicLisa
                    www.xceldanes.com

Comment

I agree with Bill on waiting and congrats on clean bill of health.How old is he?Hes bigger than 23#s in pics.
                      Lisa
                      www.xceldanes.com
                      sigpicLisa
                      www.xceldanes.com

Comment

That post was right when we got Frankie in '04. He is definately bigger now. 37", 150#. He'll be 3 on October 3rd.:P

Comment

That post was right when we got Frankie in '04. He is definately bigger now. 37", 150#. He'll be 3 on October 3rd.:P

Comment

Duh!! I forget to look dates didnt realize this was several years old
                            :f
                            Lisa
                            sigpicLisa
                            www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Duh!! I forget to look dates didnt realize this was several years old
                              :f
                              Lisa
                              sigpicLisa
                              www.xceldanes.com

Comment

Working...
                              X