Why is that bump there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is that bump there?

On the back of one of my Duke's head is a bump...I see it on other dane's also...Is that common?...a puppy thing?...Just something that is a part of some of them?...I know it is a part of their skull, just wondering if others notice it on theirs..Thanks Ericka

RE: Why is that bump there?

You see it some. It is not proper head structure conformation wise but it's not a health problem to the dog.

Comment

The older Bonnie gets, the more pronounced it is. We call it her thought knot.
      ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

I've heard it called a "smart bump".
        Always wondered why until she lifted her head and smoked me in the chin. I hurt she didn't.
        Smart.
        delal n dior

Comment

I have hear that it is a smart bump too! My grandmother likes to play around and say that a dog with a knot has too big of a brain to fit in the skull... so it starts to try and find other ways to fit... and thats what causes the knot! lol... shes so funny!
          *~ Katie ~* XOXO

*~* We could all take a lesson from crayons: some are sharp, some are beautiful, some have weird names, all are different colors, but they still learn to live in the same box *~*

-Katie, Holly, and Millie
          Houndstooth Great Danes
          Member of the Great Dane Club of Louisiana

sigpic

Comment

I've seen some fawns with really big head bumps. Makes me wonder if Disney's Pluto is a Dane!

Autumn, Delilah, and Cooper
            Chaos - always in my heart

Comment

Erika,

Might this be the occiput you are referring to??
              Some are more pronounced on some dogs than others.

http://www.danesonline.com/anatomy.htm

Lynda

Comment

Erika,

From what you are discribing, it's the occiptal bone, located in the occiput area of the skull. We humans have them too, but our skull doesn't end at the top of our heads like dog's do. If you feel your skull at the base, by the nape of your neck, you can feel that boney prominance too. Some dogs (and other animals, including people) have more pronounced ones than others.

Sometimes the dog's head seems to "flatten" out as they get older, and the skull broadens...sometimes they don't.

Bo had a very pronounce occiptal bone when we first got him. As we got weight on the very skinny poorly cared for baby, it wasn't as pronounced.

Adi

Comment

Thank you very much for the info...Just thought I would ask what it was...Thanks again...Ericka

Comment

We call it the "bump of knowledge", which if you knew our danes, is quite ironic!!

Comment

>We call it the "bump of knowledge", which if you knew our
                      >danes, is quite ironic!!

I think our Danes way outsmart us ! :7 :7
                      My guy has it all figured out: I cater to his every need ! :+

Who else could claim an entire sofa as solely his? :'(

Comment

Our vet told us that the bump tends to be more prominent in dogs that don't chew a lot. Otis loves to chew stuff and we can barely feel his; Rugby, on the other hand, has a VERY prominent bump and he's not a big chewer. Hence, Rugby's middle name is "Beldar" (from the SNL skit the Coneheads).

Steph, Otis and Rugby (the Danes), and Muddy, Sport and Tempest (the felines)
                        http://www.gdohosting.com/dolforum/s...500&ppuser=187
                        Otis and Rugby on Dogster!
                        http://www.dogster.com/?41226
                        http://www.dogster.com/?42331

Comment

Both of my girls have pretty pronounced bumps....we call it their "noggin." Victor loves to chew on them!

Comment

LOL and it is the funniest sight!!! :7 I don't know what he thinks it is but it doesn't look like he thinks it's attached.

Comment

Working...
                            X