question for Carolyn about electrical tape fencing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for Carolyn about electrical tape fencing

Sorry for the somewhat duplicate post, but I didn't know if this would be seen on the other thread. I saw on the other fencing discussion that you used 5 strands of electrical tape. Could you possibly give me some more details? I'm guessing this is the tape they sell for horses?? Wood posts? Height of the strands? I've got just under 20 acres here, and really need to section off a chunk for the dogs but the way the house and yard are set up it would be very difficult to put in stockade or chain link, plus extremely expensive for the area I'd like to fence. I'd like to enclose as large an area as possible, and never thought of using electric fencing. Also, how does it hold up under snow? I'm in SW Minnesota, and the yard can easily get socked in with deep drifts in many places which I'm afraid would pull the fence down over time. The original woven wire around the 12 acre pasture is mainly on the ground from years of snow and no upkeep before I bought it 5 years ago. If I could install electic for horses and the dogs, I'd be in heaven!
    Thanks for any info.

RE: question for Carolyn about electrical tape fencing

"but I didn't know if this would be seen on the other thread."

Read the "New Users Please Read" section where it speaks to the "Mark All" feature. By using this, there is no need to post twice as members don't miss any posts.

http://www.danesonline.com/cgi-bin/d..._announcements

Comment

I didn't actually post this on the other fencing thread, thinking it might be lost in the middle, but felt bad about starting another fencing topic so close to the other one. I always forget about the "Mark All" thing, sorry. :-)

Comment

I wouldnt worry about it not like nobody else high and mighty aint never done a double post!

Comment

>I wouldnt worry about it not like nobody else high and
          >mighty aint never done a double post!

That may be true, however, similar posts in separate posts add to the confusion.

Comment

Actually you are lucky you started a new thread and addressed it to me, as I was "done" with the other thread about fences and had no intention of ever going back to it, so I never would have seen your question to me.

As for our new fence, you can see a picture of it on the Home page of our website http://www.greatdanes1.com
            For us the reasons of using this type of fencing was:
            1) it is economical (for fencing in LARGE areas)
            2) eye appealing
            3) durable (even in winter)
            4) reliable
            5) resale value, as it is dual purpose for either dogs and/or horses
            6) and works like a charm!

We fenced in close to 4 acres and the total cost was under $4000.00
            Of course, all the work was done ourselves so this is just the cost of supplies.
            We used 1 1/2" wide electrical tape (5 strands), 6' T-posts, and 8ft 4x4 treated posts for all the corners. All the T-posts and big treated posts are covered with the white vinyl sleeves. Those were the expensive part of the fencing.
            The fence is approximately 5' tall and the strands are about 8" apart and the dogs (now that each has been zapped once) dont go near it.
            Carolyn
            Divine Acres Great Danes
            Carolyn
            Divine Acres Great Danes
            Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
            sigpic

Comment

What a beautiful home and piece of property Carolyn!!!

Comment

That's tape!? It looks really nice!

Comment

Carolyn, your house is beautiful. Your fence also looks great. I'm jealous.LOL

Comment

<<That's tape!? It looks really nice!>>

Precisely!
                    We contemplated/priced out vinyl fencing and the pros/cons of using that, and this was significantly cheaper, just as durable, easier to put up and no chance that the dogs will go near it ever again once they touch it.
                    Thank you for the compliments, it really is our own piece of heaven on earth.
                    Carolyn
                    Divine Acres Great Danes
                    Carolyn
                    Divine Acres Great Danes
                    Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply Carolyn. Your place looks gorgeous! I can just imagine what it will look like when the trees are mature.

There are a few horse owners in the area that have used the tape fence, but I never even thought about it for the dogs until you mentioned it. Most of the horse folks have used round wooden posts, but the vinyl looks so much classier.

Now I know what I need to save my pennies for over the winter. I would try and get it done this fall yet, but I think I'm going to put in a corn stove next week to replace my woodburner instead. Hopefully the money I save on LP over the winter will enable me to do a pretty large area. [br]

Comment

Working...
                      X