is my boy part Great Dane?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: is my boy part Great Dane?

"EXTREMELY protective" ... is just not something I personally would allow around my children. I have been in a similar situation. Just to bring problems later down the road. JMO.

Comment

He sounds like a good boy. The houses on both sides of us are rentals and we have had some real scumbag neighbors at times. Sadie would never let anyone in the yard/house if we weren't here and I'm happy about that.
      ~Patty~ I have the right to remain silent; I don't have the ability.

Comment

IMO he does have a danish head...too much lip for a simple GSD cross.

Comment

Perhaps you can explain to me how a dog who is obedient even to my 7 yr old son, is a threat to my children? He is a threat only to people or animals who are a threat. He is well aware of his status in our 'pack', and has never snapped or growled or taken any other defensive or threatening posture to any of us (he is 6 years old). This is not a fear biter; if he were, I would completely agree with you. In addition, the kids (7 and 15) are very aware of how to appropriately interact with dogs. The kids are far SAFER with him around, there is no way that he would ever allow them or me to be hurt. Period.

He has an extremely stable temperament; I hope that my previous post made that adequately clear.

Please don't confuse appropriate, stable protectiveness with instability and unpredictability. There are many, many dogs who are unstable, including many who appear to be the withering violet type. There are, however, plenty of good, stable dogs who happen to be more than willing to defend where it is needed. I'm not a 'green' owner, trying to have a macho dog; quite the opposite on both counts. As I said, in public or if I accept someone in the home, nobody would ever guess that he has another aspect to his disposition.

Comment

Your dogs are just adorable !!

I would say that the handsome boy is DEFINATELY a Dane/Shepherd mix.
            ......it looks quite obvious to me. :*

Comment

Actually, I was going to say that he looks a lot like my all natural Dobie girl. Maybe a Dane/Dobe?
              Here she is at 7 months. I will try and put a more recent photo of her on my computer and email it to you.

http://www.hiddenkeep.com/Mia.jpg

(PS. Dont mind the little shaved patch on her side. She was a rescue through Doberman Rescue Minnesota. Her previous owner ran over her with his truck and fractured all of her ribs and collapsed a lung. Her hair was just starting to grow back when the pic was taken. )

Comment

That does look similar in coloring for sure! I'd love to see a more recent pic, if you want to email please use david@rochagroup.com

What a tragic story for that girl, but what a great new start she's been given. Kudos!

Comment

We had a Great Dane/Black Lab cross with exactly the same face and ears. Your baby looks alot like him--so maybe there is some Dane in there. He's gorgeous no matter what you call him. Cherish him. Lori.

Comment

>He's 1 year, 29.5" tall and 75 lbs.

My Rottie boy is the same height as yours although he weighs about 105lbs. He is a purebred, just a poorly bred purebred. So it is possible for Rottie's to be that tall. I have also seen a few poorly pred GSD's that were quite tall also. He looks like he has quite a bit of Rottie in him.

Comment

We can all guess until we're blue in the face but I'd say listen to your vet. He/she is most likely to know.

As far as a protective is concerned...I'm with you. My boxer growing up was very protective. But he would never snap at just anyone. We always joked that if someone broke in he'd show them where the good china was. But one day when I was going to the store w/ my boyfriend a lady walked up and w/out asking reached her hand through the car window to pet him and he snapped. He didn't get her but he got his point across. Oddly enough when her husband asked if he could try and I told him at his own risk my dog licked him. But the guy did not stick his hand in the window, he let Knuckles come to him. That is the only time he ever snapped at anyone. That was 6 years ago and now at 11 that was the only time he ever snapped. My 2 year old daughter plays with him and I feel that if someone threatened her he'd protect her and although he wasn't trained that way he did it. To me that makes a good dog.

Comment

I am not going to guess on the breed but I have to agree that protective does not neccesarily mean aggressive. To note my 4 year old shepherd mix has never growled or shown her teeth to anybody as a matter of fact she will bark if someone comes in the yard, but has been a well socialized friendly gal. The other day I was bringing her out to the side yard and when I opened the door one of my DH's friends was standing there, someone she had never seen. Instantly she stood in between him and I and growled and showed her teeth. She did not lunge, attack, maul or act aggressivly in any manner. She was doing her job and protecting her mom. If she had lunged or tried to bite him that would have been aggressive to me. BIG difference between aggression and protection. (IMO)

Melissa

Comment

My Mother and Stepfather run a dog shelter in Washington State.

They have to put a "breed type" on many dogs that are just dropped off with no information. Most dogs are labled as "lab-mix" or "shep-mix". Sometimes there are obvious signs, like a blue tounge, to assume the dog is a Chow mix. But the whole thing is a guessing game.

They are more concerned with the health, temprament and well-being of each dog rather than properly identifying each dog breed. They do the best they can, but have to guess in most cases.

I dont see Dane in the dog pictured above, but there could very well be some Dane. Who knows? As long as you love and cherish that beautiful doggie, who cares what it is? I understand curiousity but you will never know for sure. Call him what you want, the truth is he is a great dog and you love him. Thats all that matters.

Ami, Lily and Nelson
                          'Rest in Peace my sweet Tuesday, Dingo and Chloe'

LOOK at my babies!:
                          http://www.imagestation.com/members/ami222

Comment

Working...
                          X