howling & attachment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howling & attachment

I will admit that I don't have alot of knowledge about great danes, so was curious. My dane, Angus, is very attached to me.
    No matter where I am he is right there. I take a bath he lays in front of the door, I go outside, he goes outside, I go to bed, he goes to bed. I am sure you get the picture. Is this normal for this breed? I had a pom that was the same, but always wanted a great dane and could finnaly afford one so I got one three years ago. He's the most wonderful pet I have ever had. He is very much a part of the family also. We take long walks everyday and trips to the park at least 3 or 4 times a week. Yet I was wondering if this attatchment he has for me is normal?
    Also he has taken up howling. Doesn't do it much but only sometimes if I work late and am not home at normal time. My husband says it's only if I am late, or stay gone too long. So is that normal either??

Thanks

tabitha

RE: howling & attachment

Yes Danes are like velcro. Grace always gets upset when she sees me walk away or drive off in the car and she doesnt get to go. She loves my husband but she isnt this way with him. I think that is because she is with me all the time and she has a stronger bond with me. Danes really need there humans so they tend to get a little touchy when they arent around.

The howling I dont know as much about although I know that I have had to leave grace at the vet over night a few times and the vet techs always say she howls as soon as I leave until I come back to get her.

I enjoy it though it makes me feel great that she loves me so much and always wants to be with me. It makes me so sad to leave that poor little droopy face when I have to.

Comment

Oscar is also very attached to me. He always trys to protect his mommy. I can't even be in the bathroom without him knocking at the door. When I go to work in the afternoon he stands at the window and watches me back out of the driveway. And when I get home he is right there greeting me. I just love him to death. He doesn't know how to howl though. He has tried but it souds like he is gagging. We live near a fire station so I guess I'm lucky he can't howl.

Comment

my harley was the same..very attached!! he had a bad case of separation anxiety...if we left him for too long he would destroy something!! he has chewed i dont know how many door handles and t.v. remotes!! we finally got smart and taped small balloons to door handles( he was very afraid of them!!) we would put them on windows too cuz he wrecked plenty of shades and screens too!! but by the time he was about 6 or so he calmed down and quit wreckin things...i wish we would have known then that there is help a vet can give for this.. some drug for dogs who suffer anxiety....i don't know about it if it works or anything....does anyone?

Comment

Lelah is also very attached to me... unless she's sitting in her chair When I go to leave, she's right behind me. When I open the door to come home, there she is. Cooking? She's my helper! I love it that way as well, although it gets a little tough turning around in our hallway at times :*

Comment

my 4-month-old jake is the same way. he is much closer to me than to my husband. he's happy to see my husband when he comes home, but he's definitely not as enthusiastic in his greeting as when i come home. and he follows me around everywhere in the house! to the kitchen when i'm just getting glass of water or something, to the bathroom. i joke with my husband that my shadow has been officially replaced with a 55-lb puppy.

he doesn't howl when i'm gone, at least from what my husband has observed.

the attachment is more than i had expected, but i really like it (and i'm glad to hear it's pretty common). at least i always know where he is! and when i let him off-leash in a fenced-in park near our house, it makes it so much easier since i don't have to worry about him just taking off.

marianne

Comment

I am glad to hear it's so common! :9 I wouldn't have my Angus any other way. Most of the neighbors say he is the most well behaved dogs they have ever seen. Mostly b/c he won't leave my side. It annoys my husband sometimes, mainly if i go to bed before him. He has to wrestle with angus to get room in the bed. Angus is 160 lbs and a very deep sleeper at night. hehehe

Comment

Beau is the same way. If I leave the room, there he is right behind me. He follows me EVERYWHERE and I love it unless it is to the kitchen and there isn't much room in there. lol

I had heard that they bond well, just had no idea they bonded this hard and this fast. I love my boy and wouldn't want him an other way. He follows me around even more than my Boxer Murph that has gone to the bridge. Beau came into my life a week after Murph went to the bridge...I believe Murph sent an angel to take care of his mommy! :-(

Comment

Yeop, I have one too! She follows me everywhere. If I leave the room when she is sleeping she gets up to come find me, kisses me, then lays beside me! I love it, only I have been on sick leave from work since March of this year and surely some day soon I will get to go back to work and then what?! I worry alot about that! My other girls just think this is a bonus that Mom is home! Chloe has only ever known Mom to be home!! ;8 I guess I will cross that bridge when it comes (or should I say I will be on here pleading for help :7 )

Comment

Working...
                  X