To free feed or not to free feed a puppy that is the questio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To free feed or not to free feed a puppy that is the questio

The stuff im reading online and in books is telling me to feed 3 times daily and others tell you to free feed. I want to know what the best way for a Dane puppy.

RE: To free feed or not to free feed a puppy that is the que

http://www.danesonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID9/649.html

Comment

If for NO other reason, feeding regular meals means that the housebreaking is much, much easier. If you know when puppy eats, you know when puppy has to go potty.
      My best boy, Trooper.
      sigpic

Comment

Aspen is kind of strange, he eats, then poops hours later. I pretty much free feed him, but I am very careful about the amount he eats. I tried taking up the food, then putting it down, but when I put it down he just ignored it. He seems to eat when he is hungry, so for now, I'm keeping it free-feed. He is at the perfect weight, and eats the correct amount. But, if that changes, I will take up the food

Comment

I free fed Zeus up until he was 10 months old. Then I switched to feeding 3 times a day so that I could monitor his food intake more closely and prevent him from running and playing 1 hour before eating and 2 hours after, to lessen his chances of bloat. I feel alot more comfortable with the way I feed now.
          sigpic
          RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
          Levi...born June 29th, 2011
          Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
          Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
          https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

That is a very good point, now, at 12 weeks, he is not as active as he will be down the road! So, yes, I will definately rethink the free-feed in the future, and try to abide by those guidelines Thanks for the reminder:-(

Comment

Working...
            X