Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it harder to potty train in the winter or is it just me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it harder to potty train in the winter or is it just me?

Caeser just dosnt wat to go outside its so cold, any tips you can offer?

RE: Is it harder to potty train in the winter or is it just

I got Zeus in November of 2001 and it was really cold at night. So, of course, he didn't want to go out. I had to pick him up and take him out the door and into the yard and suffer the cold with him. I would not let him back in until he had "done his business." He quickly learned that the longer he took to use the bathroom, the longer he had to stay out in the cold.

I would just take Caesar out, plunk him down in the spot, and say firmly "use the bathroom" (or whatever you want your command to be...when I had my teacup poodle it was "FiFi peepee" :-) ). Don't allow any playtime when it is bathroom time. He will soon figure out that the sooner he uses the bathroom, the sooner he will get back into the warm house. When he does use it, praise praise praise him like he just won you 10 million dollars.

In December of 1999 I got a beautiful golden retriever pup. Unortunately, he LOVED cold weather and would take forever to use the bathroom. Sadly, he was dog-napped at 4 months old. I hope whoeve stole him just wanted him for a pet and is loving him right now.

Good luck with Caesar!
    sigpic
    RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
    Levi...born June 29th, 2011
    Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
    Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

Kendra said exactly what I would. Just be persistant and he'll catch on that he HAS to go. When we got Marley the weather was nice, potty training went quick, he caught on right away. Then the weather turned bad and we had a huge set back. But we just made sure that we stood outside w/ him no matter how long it took. Now he runs out and does his business as fast as he can, so he can come back in where it is warm. Good Luck

Comment

I once got a puppy right before the fence was supposed to be put up. We had quite a snowstorm, which put the fence on hold. I had to dig a path to a sheltered area under an enormous pine tree, and that's where the pup and I would have to go to potty-train. What a pain! I bought a pair of slippers with soles so I didn't have to put my shoes on every hour or so. For obvious reasons, her command to potty was "Let's go hurry up!" :+

Comment

You're still taking him out on a leash, right? The leash gives you more control.
          Parker isn't too thrilled about the weather lately, especially when it's raining hard, but he gets out there and goes as fast as he can because he knows that if he asks to go out, he isn't going to get to come back in until he potties!

Comment

tigger was the same way.but he did learn he cant come in until he pees and the minute he would pee he came right back in the house.now that hes bigger i tell him lets go peepee and he goes right to the door and will whine when he wants back in.but i think i got lucky with tigger since hes only had 3 accidents since ive had him including at nite.hes had free run of the kitchen for 2 wks at nite and no accidents.

Comment

Yes we go out on the leash he knows he has to go but fights you all the way out the door! He will go pee once we get out there with me saying lets go potty then he trys to make a run for it back to the house!! I make him stand out there a bit longer then he goes number 2. I just dont know why he makes a run for the house if he knows hes gotta poo?? Crazy dogs!:+ He hasnt had many accidents lately hes sleeping most of the night only getting up 2 to go potty. I think in few weeks we will have this potty thing down! Thanks for your input. His leg is doing alot better now that he is on the diet linda gave us for him. Thanks again

Comment

I'm so glad his leg is doing better!

Comment

Me too! I'm glad you are finding the right help for the little guy. hurray for Ceasar

Comment

OMG winter potty training is not fun, for Odin or us. We live in Michigan and the night we brought our baby home it had snowed. He looked at me as if to say "you want me to do that out here... hmmm I don't think so". It is going better now (we're learning when to take him out and as soon as his feet hit the snow he pees. His other business takes longer, esp after it snowed again and the snow would touch his bum. I had to clear an area that was 'poopable' for the puppy.

Good luck everyone on winter p.t.

Comment

Working...
                    X