When to retire????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: When to retire????

>Did you know that about %25 of great danes bloat?

I hate to tell you this, but the percentage is higher than that.

Comment

I think I got that percentage from Jill Swedlow, but now I don't recall. I decided that I'm going to get a preventative intercostal gastopexy done when my dog is spayed, which, by the way, I learned a lot about from this forum!

So, correction for Ben: OVER 25% of great danes bloat. Both the emergency and preventative surgeries are expensive.

I watched Animal Planet last week and there was a show about emergency vet clinics. They brought in a Rottweiler with bloat who had to be put to sleep because the owner could not afford the surgery:-(

Comment

Tasha, the only way Ben and his buddies will find a kinder board is to join one that tells them what they want to hear.

I believe my memory is correct that Danes on Line is still a forum that can be read by anyone without joining. For instance, I read the posts here for almost a year before registering, so I knew what to expect from the "regulars" and had had ample time to form considered opinions of the people who donate so much of their time to this educational effort.

In my experience, the more casual breeders tend to post three times a year -- at holidays when they seem to have more time on their hands and want to get a rise out of the conservative DOL people, when they have a litter on the ground, and when they want to brag about an infrequent show appearance. In my opinion, they post basic questions with the apparent goal of using editorial content as free advertising.

Other Great Dane boards exist that don't have exchanges that are quite so sharp because only registered members can read the posts and they seem to attract a membership that is more homogenous.

I belong to several, each with it's own distinct personality, so please feel free to email me for referrals.

mp

Comment

I thought that by his saying "God bless", it was a nice way of saying, yes we all have different opinions, and I can appreciate those different opinions. For those of you who bashed his nice religious setiment, I'm very offended- it's OK to pick on his dog beliefs, but bringing religion into it is a futile, and a rather immature attempt to advance your own fightx( Grow up people, that is not the way to get your point across!

Comment

His "God Bless" could also be viewed as in imposition on others religious beliefs on this forum, FYI.

My opinion is that if you believe (in whatever you choose), you should not be offended. The belief will outweigh the matter at hand.

Not sure if I made sense, but...

Comment

No, sorry that doesn't make sense.

Comment

>In my experience, the more casual breeders tend to post
                >three times a year -- at holidays when they seem to have
                >more time on their hands and want to get a rise out of the
                >conservative DOL people, when they have a litter on the
                >ground, and when they want to brag about an infrequent show
                >appearance. In my opinion, they post basic questions with
                >the apparent goal of using editorial content as free
                >advertising.

...and the nail has been hit soundly on the head...Jo

Jo
                Hof Kurz Great Danes
                Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
                Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

I found his "God Bless" to be condescending and a naive assumption that the readers are Christian. Keep religious matters/comments completely off a dog-related board.

Comment

I happen to be an atheist who is also annoyed when people say god bless. However, the phrase is not necessarily christian and it was not said to be rude. I think some of you guys need to lighten up. If I were in his position and on the fence about which advice I would take, such a petty thing would definitely make me look elsewhere.

Comment

Has anyone even noticed that Ben Sparks has not posted since December 16th.........So it seems we have been blessed.

Comment

Amen.

Comment

I think this whole thread just needs to be flushed. It has gone from bad to worse. I, for one, have posted things like "God Bless" or "my prayers are with you." Am I going to apologize for offending anybody??? NO! This is a public forum comprised of many people of many denominations. I am not going to tippy-toe around hoping to not offend someone that is Jewish, or Islamic, or atheist, or Catholic, or etc. etc. And I would hope that no one else would tippy-toe around either. Your beliefs are your beliefs. If you want to post them, fine. If not, don't. I think it is a shame that things can get so worked up over a phrase like "God Bless" on a dane forum, no less.
                          sigpic
                          RIP my sweet Zeus Boy. I'll always love you. 08/28/01 - 08/23/11
                          Levi...born June 29th, 2011
                          Stella...Gotcha Day May 19th, 2013 (born February 26, 2012)
                          Levi and Stella's Facebook page:
                          https://www.facebook.com/LeviAndStella?ref=hl

Comment

>I think this whole thread just needs to be flushed.
                            >

Exactly!!!

Comment

I agree but...isn't there always a but?...just want to address what Kendra said, and what other's have said about "God bless". There's no need to make a big deal out of it. Take it as you wish within your own beliefs, as a wish for peace and happiness under whatever you subscribe to, be it Judaism, Islam etc all religions believe in a God, if you are agnostic or atheist, simply take it as a message of good intentions however that fits in with your beliefs, nature, spirit, whatever. I don't think anyone is trying to change your beliefs with a simple message of goodwill. I do believe in general religion should be rather private, but I am not offended by a person of any religion wishing any blessing upon me. I'll take all the blessings and good wishes I can get!

Comment

I am also an atheist but come on. I can't believe that certain people are getting upset about a phrase. Just b/c you do or don't believe in god does not mean that someone who does should not wish someone "God Bless" If you don't believe it than deal with it. I hear the "god" phrases all the time but pay no attention to them. They do not offend me. I am married to a man with a very strict Catholic family. So I hear the god stuff all the time. Just let drip down your back and pay no attention to it. Keep on giving God Blesses if that makes you feel better. THis thread should be put to bed.

And if you want to fight about religions maybe you should go to another forum. You think?
                                Angie

Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

Working...
                                X