Right for us?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right for us?

I will be getting married in about a month. My future husband is a minor league baseball player who will be gone from home from early march until early september. I am wanting a dog that will keep me company and give some sense of security and have wanted a dane since childhood. Are danes good at barking at strange noises? We have a pretty small house, about 1100 sq. feet, but we do have a 1/2 acre fenced in yard. Is that enough space for such a massive dog? I know that I have rattled off a lot of questions, but I want to make sure that I will make a great home for this breed. Thanks, hope there aren't too many questions in post!!

Brandi

:7

RE: Right for us?

They will bark at strangers but usually are not aggressive. Their size is enough to scare most people. They don't need alot of room. A normal sized back yard is enough for proper exercise.

Comment

>Are danes good at barking at strange noises?

Zoey barks at EVERYTHING!

>We have a pretty small house, about 1100 sq. feet, but we do have a 1/2 acre fenced in yard. Is that enough space for such a massive dog?

Our house is also small, 1350 sq feet, and a Cape Cod none-the-less. Our yard is only about 1/4 acre, and we're adding another Dane! As long as they get their exercise they don't need alot of space.
      Mandi

Comment

I think Danes make great watch dogs because they are not supposed to be aggressive but what idiot would attack someone walking a dog that big? You don't have to worry usually about having your dog hurt someone, but you have a person sized dog to keep you company! I would never want an aggressive dog for protection, way too much liability and worry. Parker is only 14 weeks or so and saved me from the last salesman by "boofing" at the door!

Sounds like plenty of room to me but I'm not that knowledgeable. Parker is still a puppy but I think he'd be just fine if we only had enough room in the house for a couch and the bed as those are the only two places he really ever hangs out!

I'd suggest contacting the local Dane club and getting to know some of the breeders, attending shows, and see if you can visit someone's home with a full sized Dane(s) so you can see what it's like to have such a big dog in the house.

Comment

I agree with the other responses. What I would like to add is to continue doing your research, to make sure a Dane meets all of your other expectations, etc.

Jill Swedlow has an excellent book called "The Great Dane: Model of Nobility" - great read. It covers everything from deciding if the breed is right for you, finding breeders, raising a puppy, as well as then caring for a Dane all the way up through "senior-hood". Beautiful pictures in the book as well.

Our parent club, the Great Dane Club of America, has a good article that might help you in making the decision about if the breed is right for you. That article, along with other helpful articles is found - http://www.gdca.org/before.htm .

Best of luck in your decision. If you wind up going with a Dane, take your time finding the right breeder and do your research in that area as well!

Bev
          Bev
          Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
          sigpic

Comment

My husband is gone throughout the year as well, and I'm very happy with Maggie for the companionship she has provided to my daughter and I. I wanted a dog that would intimidate strangers without being aggressive or overly territorial. She's laid back and sweet, but when someone drives up to the gate, or she hears a noise after dark, she barrels out into the yard like "the British are Coming!!" It's quite impressive, yet with small children and others who come over during the day, she's very careful and loving. They are moral support, a great comfort, and most people will shy away due to their size alone.

I would go to some shows, and find people with grown Danes. Then you can decide for yourself if the hair/slobber and all that good stuff is worth it. :+
            My best boy, Trooper.
            sigpic

Comment

Hi Brandi,

I was reading your post and you said that you were worried about your house size only being 1100 sq.ft. I have 5 dogs, 3 large birds, a snake, 125 gal, 55 gal, and a 75 gal fish tank in a 900 sq ft home. I also rescue GDs out of my home. So if all this can fit in my house then I know a GD will fit in yours. My house looks like a zoo but you can still walk through it. Well you have to step over 5 dogs and avoid the birds lunging at you.LOL But it is fun. My advise to you is to research the breed. Make sure this is the breed you want. I researched GD's for 3 yrs before I got one. She is 13 wks and growing so fast. GD's are not the best watch dogs but I don't think anyone would break into you house with a 150lb dog inside.heehee Good Luck
              Angie, proud mama to 1 Great Dane, Mira and 3 mixes, 1 cat, 3 snakes and fish...also mama to 3 y/o identical twin girls

Comment

You got some great advice from the total panel, and the only thing I would add is check out the rescues in your area. The rescue people are all experience folk that can answer probably any other question you could think of about obedience training, behavioral and health issues, and help finding a great vet and/or responsible breeders in your area. And don't rule out adopting a rescue.

crystal

Comment

IMOSHO you'd likely do better with a Doberman, Rottweiler, Bullmastiff, or even some sort of shepherd (e.g. GSD, Bouvier, Beaceron). This size and sort of animal fits the profile you describe exactly. And Danes don't. And I've found when any other dog will do, a Dane will not do as well.

Comment

when we bought kash we were living in a 32 foot fifth wheel, and it stayed that way through one winter, until kash was around 6 months old. than we got our house(first in 6 years ) that is 1200-and my family, plus great dane, cat, 125 gal. and 50 gal. fish tanks all fit into my household-not including the christmas tree.

if you are willing to dedicate lots of time to training, and learning, than a great dane is a wonderful pet. but you must be aware that, while a dane might bark at everything, when it comes to confrontation, danes usually shy away. kash is very gallant behind glass doors-but when hes faced with the actual danger he fades into the background. although-he has stepped up to bat once when i WAS in some danger-bad man running around my house while i was home alone(AGHHHHHHHH)-and kash just went beserk and proberly woulda hurt the man-if he had not been intimidated away.

anyway point being, as long as the pup gets exercise, and love, and you do LOTS of research, and buy from a QUALITY breeder, a dane sounds like it might fit your description of a good dog they are very dependent, and if you allow will be your faithful shadow, following you into the shower

Comment

Security System: Our guy barks at every little noise and then some. No one would even dream of coming near when out walking with our boy.

Space: I live in a 750sq ft 1 bedrm apt with 1 Dane, 1 Greyhound, and 1 boyfriend. Space is not an issue.

Is a Dane the right breed for you?: Do your homework, take your time and don't rush out and buy the first puppy advertised in the paper, get out and meet some breeders and other owners. Talk to rescue and find out what the usual reasons are for people who give up Danes and make sure you're prepared to put up with all these issues and more.
                      Are you a neat freak? If so, you might want to reconsider a Dane. They shed and often drool A LOT. You have to put the time and money into training these giant beasts otherwise you'll have just that, an uncontrollable beast. : )

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to paint a more accurate picture so that you can make an informed decision.
                      Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Kristin, Brycen & Tip

Comment

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. ~ Marriage is a big step and so is choosing a dog. ~ It is a lifelong committment. ~ A Great Dane is IMO a very unique dog. ~ Though they are massive, they require a lot of xtra attention and care at times. ~ Like other breeds, they are subject to certain maladies and conditons. ~ Perhaps going to dog shows and even obedience classes as a spectator can tell you a lot.

Remember, BIG dogs > big poops or diarrhea or vomit or blood or whatever! ~ Also will your new hubby have time to bond with the pup if he'll be away a lot?

Size alone does not necessarily equal protection but, it helps. ~Acreage also should not be the deciding factor.

What if you want to hop on a plane and be with hubby for a while. ~ Then smaller would be in order.

If you are lucky, you will have very few problems with whatever kind of dog you choose. ~ Get the dog you LOVE after giving it careful thought; that is 95% of it.

Good Luck.

~Bonnie~
                        sorry I was so long-winded

May ♥ The ♥ Paw ♥ Be ♥ With ♥ You!

Comment

Everyone:

Thanks so much for all the wonderful advice! I really am looking forward to continuing my research on great danes...i think you are all right.. i should probably think about it for a few months before i make a final decision. i'll be asking many more questions...thanks again!!

Brandi:7

Comment

Brandi~

Do you want an intimidating dog or a dog that is only intimidating-looking? Usually, if a dog is *trained* to defend, the 'companion' aspects of the dog are less. (Plus, if you think you want children, having a dog trained to defend is like having a dangerous weapon around your children-=-it might not go off, but it *could*...something to think about.)

If you only want a dog that is intimidating-looking or sounding, we taught Willow to bark on the command, "Defend" instead of "Speak." Now, when I walk her alone or get spooked at night (my hubby works at night) and feel I need her to 'speak up', I say "Defend". If I were ever truly threatened, (which thank goodness, I haven't been) that person wouldn't know that Willow wouldn't harm a flea. He only knows that my dog is barking her butt off at a scary sounding command, and he can fill in the blanks as to what is going to come next!

It's a bluff, but a good trade-off IMO. I get the best companion ever, but the threat of a defensive dog.

Good luck in your decision.

Comment

That is a great idea!! I will want a dog that is more intimidating than actually hostile..We will have children someday and i want a dog that is all around friendly, but scary to strangers.

Brandi

Comment

Working...
                              X