About Drool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Drool?

I read with interest the drool posts. Our first Dane Tundra is 7.5 months. Only in the last month have I really noticed a drool factor.
    No sleep drool puddles, Yet! Does drool increase, with age? Or is it that drool takes time to fully show it's self. Curious in CA. Diana:+

RE: About Drool?

My personal experience with drool has shown it actually decreased with age, both dogs(7&8) only drool now after heavy exercise, I had forgotten how bad it used to be, I could have bottled it and made a fortune selling it as superglue.

It was only when Jonah(17 months, if my memory is correct) came round the other month drooling over everything and Susan and Craig apologizing every time he got my leg or Shoe or shorts or Boyfriend that I remembered the experience at all.

Karen.

Comment

LOL, yes that is right Karen, thats Jonah !!

I remember looking down at your shoe, and seeing a big white frothy dribble all over it,

But you described it well, it does look and sound like glue when you wash and refill their water bowl for the 10th time that day, as it is going down the drain it all sorta sticks together, uck lol

I bet you are pleased Karen that Eddie and Quin have growen out of the drooling stage, I hope Jonah does

Susan and Jonah

Comment

You wanna know about drool? I'll tell ya about drool :-(
        Flash, almost 7 y.o. has been a drooler since late puppyhood.
        It has not decreased with age.

He drools in the water bowl which we clean at least 15 X's a day, he drools on his and Anna's food, he drools on his chest in his sleep, he drools on top of our toy poodle who stands under his head, he drools on our clothing and other peoples clothing, etc. He just can't help it!

I think it is because he has BIG jowls and a long face, but I don't know. I heard it is because he is a male. ?????????? And when he shakes his, head which is often to de-jowljuice himself, watch out!!! The hardest are the walls and ceiling. If we miss one, it might turn into a stalagmite! so we are diligent.

But, we love him to bits, and if it lasted a thousand years, (well maybe 100), we wouldn't have it any other way.

If you want to know more, just ask. But, I think it is enuf for now!

~Bonnie~
        May ♥ The ♥ Paw ♥ Be ♥ With ♥ You!

Comment

Maggie spreads a lot of water around with her lips, but she's not a drooler.
          My best boy, Trooper.
          sigpic

Comment

I bet it does have something to do with the way the lips are shaped. The longer the jowels, the more drool? Hmm, it would be interesting to find out.

Comment

My Maggie drools when she is finished with her water or if Im eating something on the couch. It seems she only drools over food if she can get eye level with who ever is eating the food at the time. She never drools if were eating at the dinner table

Beth & Maggie

Comment

Jazzy doesn't really drool. But she does "drip" her water all over everything after drinking it. She has taken to "wiping" her face off after eating and drinking. On whatever is handy. The sofa, loveseat, your leg, etc.

Zeke, the BullMastiff we had drooled ALL over EVERYTHING! When we would take him to the ballpark, we always carried a towel. He was such a lover, he didn't know that not everyone was as happy to be "sloppered on" (as my 5 yo nephew called it) as we were!

Mona & JazzyBell

Comment

Thanks all for the input...Tundra's drool I think falls somewhere in the middle of the drool scale. Diana and Tundra

Comment

Neither Apollo nor Ambi really drool. (THANKFULLY) The only thing we have to worry about is mopping the floor after their drinks. Then it runs like a faucet.

Comment

mine dont drool is this normal?????????????????????????? baliegh never has and caleb hasnt either?!?!?!

Amber

Comment

Certainly nothing to be worried about, Amber. Some danes don't drool much at all, even with long lips. Emma is "Niagara Falls" after a drink, but usually has little slobber unless she's panting from a hot day or a vigorous playdate. And she has lips for miles

Comment

Same here with EZ-she's not a big drooler and she got some really floppy lips(the kind that make flapping noises when she shakes her head)

Comment

oh wow drool. its such a fun thing isnt it ? kash drools after drinking water, and when he is watching me eat. or when it is dinner time.

you can condition your dog to drool too the pavlov dog experiment. take a piece of food, and say a word like "PUPPY" or any word, count to five and than give the dog the food.

eventually all you have to say is "puppy". classical conditioning is such fun my psychology teacher taught the class to salivate on the word "pavlov" by having us lick lemonade powder after she said the word

anyway, mom and dad have decided never to have another dog this big again, solely because kash drools. but for me, a die hard daner, ill live with the drool. besides, if i did not have to clean his water dish 20 times a day, when would it get cleaned?

Comment

We find that the best way to combat drool is to meet another breed of dog. Collies and poodles are the most absorbent - plus they are the right size to mop up the drool without spillage. The owners are usually not very impressed but that's the price they pay for not owning a dane.
                              PS Unfortunately St Bernard owners seem to have got onto this idea and use danes as the mop-up breed. C'est la vie!

Comment

Working...
                              X