Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye color??

Hey everybody,

Does anyone know when a pup's eyes change??? My pup has greyish eyes and I'm assuming they are going to turn blue. He's 14 weeks now and I have no idea when they should change color, or even if they are. I'm just sort of curious, it's not really a major big deal. I think I would rather his eyes stay this color, it's pretty cool and kinda matches his coat (he's a somewhat mantle marked merle). Anyway, if anyone has any info I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

RE: Eye color??

Gosh, I don't know the answer either. I was wondering about the same thing with my little girl too. Sylver is a blue mantle with grey eyes to match her coat....I wondered if her eyes were going to change to a different shade of grey or blue eventually too. Will be interesting to see answers regarding this.....

Comment

Since I have fawn/brindle and all their eyes are med dk to dk brown at birth, I have no experience in this area. I do know though, that by 6/7 months of age, the eye color of my 2 legged children is what they have ended up with.
      Carolyn
      Divine Acres Great Danes
      Carolyn
      Divine Acres Great Danes
      Divine Acres The Legend "Bruce" 5 1/2 months old..5th generation of DA Danes!
      sigpic

Comment

The eye color you see now is probably a transition phase. The eyes probably started out blue and will end up brown. My first merle had the brightest blue eyes when I brought him about (at about 7ish weeks) and they gradually turned to a beautiful caramel brown color.

The standard calls for "dark" eyes in any color, although lighter eyes in harls & associated colors is very normal (acceptable as well, just not desired). Some harls end up with blue eyes for life or very light brown eyes. Blue dogs often have very light colored eyes as well. Other colors that have blues or harls behind them in their pedigree can also have lighter eyes. I've seen blacks out of blue breedings that have very light brown eyes.

I guess I don't know the exact age the eyes change, as in my experience it's been so gradual I barely noticed. By a year, at the latest, I would imagine one would see the final color the dog's eyes will end up.

Bev
        Bev
        Foto Danes

Ch Payaso Flighty Star Alliance RN CGC CHIC
        sigpic

Comment

Although Sylver is a striking grey blue color, she is NOT a blue mantle. She is a merle mantle.

In order to be a blue a dog would lack black pigment, and it is obvious in her pics that she has nice strong black pigment.

As to eye color, by 8 - 14 wks I would think the eye color is pretty much resolved. they change in shade a little, but not drastically.

sandy
          http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

>Although Sylver is a striking grey blue color, she is NOT a
            >blue mantle. She is a merle mantle.
            >
            >In order to be a blue a dog would lack black pigment, and it
            >is obvious in her pics that she has nice strong black
            >pigment.
            >
            >As to eye color, by 8 - 14 wks I would think the eye color
            >is pretty much resolved. they change in shade a little, but
            >not drastically.
            >
            >sandy

Huh??? *confused* Where do you see black pigment in Sylver? I thought merles were that true grey/black spotted looking pattern?? Sylver is a blue grey, not a true grey, in color and she isn't spotted.....she is two different solid colors in a mantle pattern. Can you explain this to me please?

Comment

Rene, what color is Sylvar's nose? It looks black in the picture. If she were blue, wouldn't it be blue? I need to go back and read the color descirptions myself again.

Comment

actually, no, it isn't black.....its a dark blue. I don't see any black on her. I know that "pigment" is like an under color and her mom was a black and white though so there's black in her genes. Can her nose darken maybe as she gets older? I have always used the term blue mantle because thats the best way to describe her....she's not just a blue and white; to me, that means she is colored blue and white but not in a particular pattern.

Comment

My Harlequin started out with blue eyes and then one changed to green and the other stayed blue then they both were green with a blue splotch on the bottom of his left eye which gives it the appearance that it is blue now at 7mos he has two brown eyes that sometimes give the appearance of hazel eyes but he still has the blue splotch on the left eye. Who knows whats next LOL

Comment

I saw black on her here:

http://66.72.168.20/rene/sylver4.html

I guess it is the lighting? it looks as if her nose and whiskers
                    are black as well as eye rims.

the color merle varies greatly from pearl grey to muddy brownish black, with varying amounts of other colors included.

She could be blue or merle, but a blue doesn't carry black
                    pigment.

What color was her father?

sandy
                    http://web.mac.com/Witzn

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. I guess I'll just wait and see. I was kind of hoping for blue eyes, his mom had 2 blue eyes, not sure about dad. I'm sure it is going to be very interesting to see how he ends up. He's my unique little boy! :-) Rene, Sylver is darling! I wish I had taken more pictures of Zeke when his was a tiny baby. He's growing so fast! I can't keep film in the camera now! Have a good weekend all!! And thanks again for the info

Melissa, Roxee, and Zeke

Comment

>My Harlequin started out with blue eyes and then one changed
                        >to green and the other stayed blue then they both were green
                        >with a blue splotch on the bottom of his left eye which
                        >gives it the appearance that it is blue now at 7mos he has
                        >two brown eyes that sometimes give the appearance of hazel
                        >eyes but he still has the blue splotch on the left eye. Who
                        >knows whats next LOL

Anything with green sounds beautiful to me!! My eyes are green so I'm partial. *hehe*

Comment

>I saw black on her here:
                          >
                          >http://66.72.168.20/rene/sylver4.html
                          >
                          >I guess it is the lighting? it looks as if her nose and
                          >whiskers
                          >are black as well as eye rims.
                          >
                          >the color merle varies greatly from pearl grey to muddy
                          >brownish black, with varying amounts of other colors
                          >included.
                          >
                          >She could be blue or merle, but a blue doesn't carry black
                          >pigment.
                          >
                          >What color was her father?
                          >
                          >sandy

I'll have to look at the eye rims cause I'm not sure but all the whiskers are white. TO ME, a merle is a grey/grey with black spots on it...thats how I've always associated a merle being colored and thats the color of all the merles that I've ever seen. Now granted I haven't seen every merle in the world either. My girl is a blue/grey and there are no spots and she isn't black anywhere, despite her obvious black color genes; her mom is a black/white and her father is a harl. She has two very distinctive solid colors in the form of the traditional mantle, therefore, I will always describe her as a blue mantle. That is always how others have referred to her as as well until now. If I start calling her a merle mantle, I'm going to be called crazy!! :9 (wouldn't be the first time though *LOL*)

Comment

>Thanks for all the info everyone. I guess I'll just wait
                            >and see. I was kind of hoping for blue eyes, his mom had 2
                            >blue eyes, not sure about dad. I'm sure it is going to be
                            >very interesting to see how he ends up. He's my unique
                            >little boy! :-) Rene, Sylver is darling! I wish I had taken
                            >more pictures of Zeke when his was a tiny baby. He's
                            >growing so fast! I can't keep film in the camera now! Have
                            >a good weekend all!! And thanks again for the info
                            >
                            >Melissa, Roxee, and Zeke

Melissa,

How do you pronounce his name....is it like "Zeek".....or "Zek"....or "ZeeKee"??? I'm soooooooooooo glad I have baby pictures too cause they grow so fast. I still have a roll to develop from when she was 6 weekks old.

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed that the Merle term had more to do with the genetic marker of the dog, rather than it's color? In other words, even though Maggie is black and white and came from harlequin parents, she is not genetically a harlequin. Thus, Sylver would be a lightly-marked merle. The merle gene can manifest itself in many different color patterns...Sandy, am I totally off the mark on this? Time to dig out the genetics 101 again.
                              My best boy, Trooper.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X