Weird formation of head?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinnessmom
    started a topic Weird formation of head?

Weird formation of head?

I don't know how to put this but my 7 months old pup has like a pointed skull? Right between his ears in the middle of his head it seems pointy and protrudes. I've been looking at alot of other pictures lately and don't see it on any other puppies. The vet thinks it's nothing and the instructer in my obediance class says it's normal. Is it?

• martycurt
    replied
    Originally posted by Twisterr View Post
    Hi everyone, first time Dane owner. Buckley's occiput is pretty big we joke that it's because he's part unicorn. But we've had a LOT of people tell us how tall he is, especially other Dane owners he's 15 months old so probably done growing right?
    Hes still growing albeit at a much slower rate.

Leave a comment:

• Twisterr
    replied
    Hi everyone, first time Dane owner. Buckley's occiput is pretty big we joke that it's because he's part unicorn. But we've had a LOT of people tell us how tall he is, especially other Dane owners he's 15 months old so probably done growing right?

Leave a comment:

• Ella's mom
    replied
    I found this blog that answered most of my questions about my danes OCCIPUT protruberance, but had an additional question: what could cause the occiput to be more pronounced at times? Dehydration? Neck strain, like being pulled on leash? Etc. Thank you! Dr Miller

Leave a comment:

• anne
    replied
    RE: Weird formation of head?

Katie, I think it means "grin" - but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• lovelygia
    replied

i have to ask...what does <G> mean? i am unfamiliar with that one! thanks!

Katie in AZ

Leave a comment:

• Jaime
    replied

"...defenestrate....."

OOOOhhhhh OOOOOhhhh Mista Kotta I know the answer you're looking for!!:P

Leave a comment:

• gr8danelvrs
    replied

My seven month old dane has that point too. Someone told me it is a "smart bump". She said you can judge a dogs adult size by the bump on the head??. My pup's is pretty large, so he must going to be a GIGANTIC boy

Leave a comment:

• Shirley
    replied

ROFL If our poor kids only knew what we say about them! I always tell people that Baloo has the bump because his brains haven't grown in yet. But seriously, some dane lines have heads that mature slower/ differently than others. my fawns have heads with almost no stop and the bump an the head when they are young. The stop comes and the bump fades as they hit about 6 months. Baloo still has his bump there but it is almost not visible anymore at a year. And he still doesn't have any brains.This is why it helps to know your lines and how they develop. I almost sent Baloo to a pet home due to his lack of stop. If you look at him today you would never imagine that collie looking thing that he was.The occiput is the same thing,although I had not equated it with neck developement before,it sure fits. As the neck develops the bump fades. I also see it more in the real slim dogs,which mine is not,BTW. Shirley

Leave a comment:

• astridj
    replied

Hmm, probably should have figured that one out by myself, as "Fenster" is window in German & rather similar. Thanks for the lesson Astrid & Zoo ('course I might have figured something like "throwing the window out"

Leave a comment:

• Arizona
    replied

I have two danes; Isabeau who is 3 1/2 and Zeus just turned 1 in March. Issy has always had that tall bump on the head so I was surprise when Zeus's wasn't that big. I also was told it indicated intelligents and everyone knows girls are smarter than boys... for instance; Issy drinks clean water out of her bowl, Zeus drinks dirty water whereever he finds it. Issy eat the alfafa flakes from the hay, Zeus eats the horse poop. Strong indicators to me.

Really, I was also told by my vet that it was nothing to worry about only conformation. Take care...susan

Leave a comment:

• caninealaska
    replied

We have 2 Danes and Gretchen's head is much more pointier than Zelda Mae's. When Zelda Mae had the jaw surgery last summer though and she lost weight, her head was a lot pointier, but now it's back to it's normal less-pointy shape. No vet has ever said it's anything abnormal and over the years, I've heard it referred to as their "smart bump." Sometimes it seems to stand out more than other times and when this happens, we just say they're having a smart thought!

Leave a comment:

• HKDanes
    replied

Yes, defenestration is the act of throwing something (or someone) out of a window. De is from, fenestra is window. On this particular episode they were actually throwing people out of the window. This word always made my students laugh. The Latin lesson for the day.

Leave a comment:

• jpy
    replied

Defenestrate? As in "throwing someone out of a window"? Of course the first thing my science-mind thinks of is "de" perforating<G> or closing up holes one made (to fenestrate), but that surely cannot be what some TV Girl Vampire would be doing. Although she might be pitching people out of windows?

Leave a comment:

• HKDanes
    replied

As a Classics major and a former teacher of Latin, occiput comes from caput meaning head and ob meaning before. The b becomes a c when it is added to a word that begins with a c. I was tickled pink when a recent "Dark Angel" used one of my favorite words of all time, defenestrate. Now, that is some useless information.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X