Weird formation of head?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird formation of head?

I don't know how to put this but my 7 months old pup has like a pointed skull? Right between his ears in the middle of his head it seems pointy and protrudes. I've been looking at alot of other pictures lately and don't see it on any other puppies. The vet thinks it's nothing and the instructer in my obediance class says it's normal. Is it?

RE: Weird formation of head?

I've seen danes with that. Kinda a pointy bone at the top. It's poor head structure but nothing that is going to cause the dog any problems.

Comment

Intelligence Bump

My female merle has that bump too. One day when I was in the feed store a lady that breeds Greyhounds stopped me and said that my Great Dane has a Canadian Greyhound intelligence bump. She said that there is a very well known winning Greyhound line out of Canada that are known for having that bump. I don't know how accurate her story is...but I do know my Hannah is to smart for her own good most of the time.

Comment

It's just the occtiput(think that is the spelling)..some dogs do grow out of it as the head matures,and others it remains a little more protruding than others..in danes it is quite often a growth thing.!!..just keep your eyes on it..and it will probably become a less noticable feature as your puppy grows. Danes do have lots of maturing to do, and the head changes monthly....Ideally you do waht nice level planes on your danes head..but this is not an uncommon feature on a "pet dane"..whose head is not perhaps his fortune

Comment

It's called the OCCIPUT which literally means<G> "back of the head." It's where the big first vertebrae of the spinal cord connects to the skull--under this protruberance. The standard for the breed says: "The length from the tip of the nose to the center of the stop should be equal to the lenght from the center of the stop to the rear of the *slightly* developed occiput." Lack of muscling (from age or other reasons) alone can cause the occiput to appear pronounced, as can the angle the skull "hooks onto" the spine, so to speak. A well-covered occiput is thought to be connected with strong neck muscles & since the Dane has a heavy head, strong neck muscles are desirable, esp. in a working dog, hence the standard wanting the occiput to not be pronounced. Lots of Danes have this trait. It's a fault under the standard, but despite the notion that it's not ideal, it doesn't seem to be related to any medical or other weakness per se. From the Latin CAPUT=head & ob=behind/end of. If you<G>care.
          regards, jpy*who* knows so many utterly <G> useless things ROFL!!!

Comment

>It's called the OCCIPUT which literally means<G> "back of the head." It's where the big first vertebrae of the spinal cord connects to the skull--under this protruberance. The standard for the breed says: "The length from the tip of the nose to the center of the stop should be equal to the lenght from the center of the stop to the rear of the *slightly* developed occiput." Lack of muscling (from age or other reasons) alone can cause the occiput to appear pronounced, as can the angle the skull "hooks onto" the spine, so to speak. A well-covered occiput is thought to be connected with strong neck muscles & since the Dane has a heavy head, strong neck muscles are desirable, esp. in a working dog, hence the standard wanting the occiput to not be pronounced. Lots of Danes have this trait. It's a fault under the standard, but despite the notion that it's not ideal, it doesn't seem to be related to any medical or other weakness per se. From the Latin CAPUT=head & ob=behind/end of. If you<G>care.
            >regards, jpy*who* knows so many utterly <G> useless things ROFL!!!

Comment

Ok I don't know how I copied that message but... thanks to everyone and your responses. It's funny that someone mentioned it being a smart bump because I asked a friend of ours what it was and he said a stupid bump, the bigger the bump the more stupid..joking of course. Then we ran into another dane this weekend without the bump and my husband said, "Steve was right. That dog didn't have a bump and he was smarter than Guinness." And to be honest Guinny is not the sharpest knife in the drawer But that's all the more why I love him!

Comment

that is so funny, that your husband said that. My husband also thinks that is the stupid bump!!! Our first dane did not have that bump, and she was really excellent as a pup and very smart. Our second dane a 8 month old male pup just started to develop the bump, and he too is not the sharpest knife, he is very immature and acts silly most of the time. He is teaching me to have a sense of humor and to learn to have more patience will large goofy pups. But he is very friendly, loves kids and listens pretty well. And to me, thats all that matters.

Comment

My previous Dane girl had a rather pronounced head-bump (OK, occiput) and that made the groove between her eyes seems more pronounced. Some of my religious friends suggested she was made *just* for me, and the lumps and bumps were the Designer's marks of originality. (You could justify a lot of faults with their theories, but we took it as a charming compliment.)
                  Sally
                  P.S. And BTW, all the knives in the drawer are useful! :-)

Comment

As a Classics major and a former teacher of Latin, occiput comes from caput meaning head and ob meaning before. The b becomes a c when it is added to a word that begins with a c. I was tickled pink when a recent "Dark Angel" used one of my favorite words of all time, defenestrate. Now, that is some useless information.
                    Jo
                    Hof Kurz Great Danes
                    Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
                    Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

Defenestrate? As in "throwing someone out of a window"? Of course the first thing my science-mind thinks of is "de" perforating<G> or closing up holes one made (to fenestrate), but that surely cannot be what some TV Girl Vampire would be doing. Although she might be pitching people out of windows?

Comment

Yes, defenestration is the act of throwing something (or someone) out of a window. De is from, fenestra is window. On this particular episode they were actually throwing people out of the window. This word always made my students laugh. The Latin lesson for the day.
                        Jo
                        Hof Kurz Great Danes
                        Ch. Tor RN, CHIC, Ch. Reva CHIC, Can. Ch. J'aime TDI
                        Fawns and Brindles Since 1975
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/11304225@N05

Comment

We have 2 Danes and Gretchen's head is much more pointier than Zelda Mae's. When Zelda Mae had the jaw surgery last summer though and she lost weight, her head was a lot pointier, but now it's back to it's normal less-pointy shape. No vet has ever said it's anything abnormal and over the years, I've heard it referred to as their "smart bump." Sometimes it seems to stand out more than other times and when this happens, we just say they're having a smart thought!

Comment

I have two danes; Isabeau who is 3 1/2 and Zeus just turned 1 in March. Issy has always had that tall bump on the head so I was surprise when Zeus's wasn't that big. I also was told it indicated intelligents and everyone knows girls are smarter than boys... for instance; Issy drinks clean water out of her bowl, Zeus drinks dirty water whereever he finds it. Issy eat the alfafa flakes from the hay, Zeus eats the horse poop. Strong indicators to me.

Really, I was also told by my vet that it was nothing to worry about only conformation. Take care...susan

Comment

Hmm, probably should have figured that one out by myself, as "Fenster" is window in German & rather similar. Thanks for the lesson Astrid & Zoo ('course I might have figured something like "throwing the window out"

Comment

Working...
                              X