• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Dane liturature

Books on the Great Dane: An Incomplete Listing:

THE GREAT DANE: MODEL OF NOBILITY. Jill Swedlow

AN OWNER'S GUIDE TO THE PET GREAT DANE. Swedlow

GREAT DANE. Stahlkuppe (inexpensive, incl. merle)

THE GREAT DANE; DOGDOM'S APOLLO Nancy Carrol-Draper (noted breed expert & judge)

HOW TO RAISE AND TRAIN THE GREAT DANE. Lina Basquette (a collectable by a famous owner)

ALL ABOUT THE GREAT DANE. Bruce MacDonald

THE GREAT DANE. Anna K. Nicholas (a classic)

GREAT DANE HANDBOOK. Mary J. MacCracken (novices)

GREAT DANE. Diane McCarty

GREAT DANE: AN OWNER'S GUIDE. Karina LeMare

NEW COMPLETE GREAT DANE. "Noted Authors" (classic)

THIS IS THE GREAT DANE. Ernest H. Hart

GREAT DANES. Mary K. Johnston

GUIDE TO OWING A GREAT DANE. Garth Iorg (quick & cheap reference with good pix-for beginners)

DR. ACKERMAN'S BOOK OF THE GREAT DANE. Ackerman, DVM (has some rather inaccurate info)

GREAT DANE. D.E.Hale

THE GREAT DANE. Virginia Keckler (several eds)

COMPLETE GREAT DANE. Milo G. Denlinger

GREAT DANES TODAY. Di Johnson (British)

THE GREAT DANE. Jean Lanning (British, 3 eds.)

GREAT DANES PAST AND PRESENT. Morell McKenzie

GREAT DANES IN CANADA. Pat Ostovar

DIE DEUTSCHE DOGGE: HERKUNFT-ZUCHT-HALTUNG. Friedmar Krautwurst (my personal all time favorite book on the dane)

DEUTSCHE DOGGEAS RASSE-PORTRAIT. Winfried Nouc.
    (incredibly extensive guide, with wonderful anatomy & genetics "lectures" included)

I'm sure there are more, but as I don't speak any romance languages, I'm limited. regards.jpy
    posted by CHROMADANE 2000

RE: Great Dane liturature

I haven't found a Great Dane book out there that is more comprehensive than Jill Swedlow's "The Great Dane, Model of Nobility." She covers all the basics and much, MUCH more. (Health, showing, owning, living with 'the good and the bad', breeding, selecting a puppy, training....... even growing old with your Dane.

Comment

FAVORITE THREE???RE: Great Dane literature

ChirsW writes:
      Question One: "I know you've probably said a few hundred times by now but what would you suggest as the top three books (to start) to learn about danes in relation to raising/showing/breeding be?"
      There is some info here in this thread & Paul actually has a thread in the General Dane column (I believe) where there are books & various peoples suggestions on what to read.
      TOP THREE:
      1)I'd buy "BORN TO WIN" by Pat Craige Trotter to start off with as an all purpose book on dogs shows & dog breeding.
      2) I'd buy "MODEL OF NOBILITY" by Jill Swedlow for a good general guide to the Great Dane.
      3)I'd get a subscription to the GREAT DANE REPORTER as the most indispensible guide to what's happening in the breed currently:
      http://www.gdr.com

Question Two: "One more question, how do you research a pedigree? "
      By making the paper flesh. Turning those names into the real dogs they are, so that you know what that pedigree means & can have some good idea of what to expect from dogs from that line (hopefully). Practically this means collecting pedigrees up & swapping info with breeders & just being out in the active group of connected people who have information on specific dogs, as well as this being active gives you the opportunity to start taking notes on current dogs so you can annotate current pedigrees. I'd guess it would take at least 5-10 years to get some real handle on a breed, or in the case of Danes, a a breeding (sub) population, which is to say color family. regards, jp&the chroma-crew

Comment

Working...
      X