Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my dane get any bigger?

Hi!
    My family and I acquired our first great dane last year and have completely fallen in love with the breed. Apollo is a great addition to our family and we adore everything about him. My only concern is if he will continue to grow. We chose him largely due to the stature of his father who stands at 39inches and is a lean 85kg. Apollo is from european lineage and half Aussie lineage (we live in Australia) and is just about to turn 1 year old. Unfortunately breeding standards for danes are quite questionable in Australia in my opinion as it seems many breeders here breed exclusively for size only which I know is a recipe for health disaster in giant breeds or any dog. We chose a fairly reputable breeder and were thrilled to see and hear that their stud (Apollo's dad) was on the bigger side but well-bred and healthy as well. We love apollo regardless but we half expected him to grow to be pony-sized too . Apollo currently is only 34.5inches in height and just under 70kg at 11 months. Do males continue to grow after one year of age? Has anyone had a similar experience? The breeder assures us that they CAN keep growing in height up to 2 years and maybe onwards, however there are many cases in which she's had males stop growing earlier... Also, I'm not sure if color has any correlation to the size of a dane (Apollo is blue), but it seems like every Fawn I have seen here towers over our boy and all the other danes!?
    Would be great to hear your thoughts!

Most of the major fast growth is over. He should continue to grow past 2, but he won’t grow the other 5” you desire.

Comment

A Dane depending on lines can grow in height up to 3 years of age and fill out from 18 months to 4 years of age.. Size isn't just dependantdogs within the line..grands, great grands, etc.. This is why it is good to know what is behind the dogs. Also color doesn't have much to do with size... it is what is in he lines...there are small and large in all colors. Also just a side note.. There is no "Euro", No Aussie", etc.. a Dane is a Dane is a Dane... no matter f country of origin the breed standard is virtually the same..
      sigpic
      Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
      Associate Member GDCNE
      Member GSPCA
      Member NAVHDA
      Member Central Maine Kennel Club
      High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

kahluadanes Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention in my initial post that our dane is from a 'big' line with a history of consistently 'big' males and females not just one or two larger dogs, hence the expectation that Apollo would be on the bigger side. And yes, regarding colours Im sure thats the case! It must be coincidence that the fawns I've seen just happen to be giants. Im sure big and small come in all colours. I used the phrase 'aussie' and 'european' given the stark contrast in appearance the breeder claimed european lines (a 'blockier' more square physique.) generally have from 'american' lines. But you probably know better than me! I'm a complete newbie to the world of great danes! Gotta start somewhere

Comment

Yes you do ..we all had to start somewhere... The reference to "Euro" VS "American " is a red flag and usually a sign of a less than responsible breeder....As said the standard is virtually the same and there should be no noticeable difference regardless of country of origin if they are well bred from a responsible breeder.. as far as colors go..I've had fawns that were only 32 - 33" and I've had them 37"..I've had them at 98 pounds and 185 pounds... Same goes for merles, harlequins
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Excerpt from the ORIGINAL German breed standard from 1897:

"The Great Dane combines in its overall appearance size, power and elegance as in scarcely any other breed of dog. It does not have the heaviness and clumsiness of the Mastiff, nor the lankiness and light weight reminiscent of the Greyhound’s shape, but holds the middle ground between either extreme. Notable size with strength and yet elegant build, long stride and proud bearing, head and neck high, the tail is carried downwards at rest, in excitement stretched and upwards or with possibly a slight curve."

Comment

Working...
            X