Small dane???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small dane???

My great dane just turned 6 months and weighs 65 pounds. Is this normal? His dad weighed 180 so he seems a little small for his age.

He is in the right size range for his age... Also don't go by weight...weight is a number only..body condition is what you need to watch. Your puppy should not be chunky he should be a nice healthy lean.. Adults also should not be over sized they should have a nice well defined waist and be well muscled .The parents are but one small piece of the genetic makeup.. puppies can take after one parent or another or both or neither.. they can take after grands, great grands, etc.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

My Dane Candie Kisses will be 3 in February and she still only weighs 87 lbs. She has filled out a lot in the last year but still the vet says only 87.5 lbs. She is about 29 inches from the floor to the shoulder blades. She does not look overly thin (no excess bones are showing). Our vet said she is just small. We feed her all that she can eat and not "give it back" and even at that, she doesn't always eat everything each time. Picture to follow.
      Last edited by MawWeezie66; 08-02-2018, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Sorry about the landscaping of the photo. I could not get it to upload to the previous comment correctly and when I placed it in here it was landscaped!

Comment

Never, ever give a dog, especially a Dane all that they can eat... that is a dangerous thing to do with Danes.. Feed a good quality high meat low plant food, feed measured amounts, always know when and how much your dog has eaten.. Size depends on genetics.... a Dane will be what it is genetically programed to be.. Minimum height for an adult female is 28" , male is 30"...
          sigpic
          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
          Associate Member GDCNE
          Member GSPCA
          Member NAVHDA
          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Working...
          X