Puppy too skinny?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy too skinny?

New Dane owner. I got my girl Lily a little over a month ago. Since that, I've got her a better food and she's getting a little more than 6 cups a day. She's averaged 4lbs a week since I've gotten her. Right now, she's a week shy of 5 months and at 60lbs but you can see her ribs, hips and spine. She's perfectly happy, heathy, no parasites. She just can't put on the weight. She does run around and play all the time with our Shepherd when she's not sleeping. Do I have anything to worry about right now? The vet said she'd like to see a little more weight, but wasn't concerned. I can't help but be concerned though. It won't let me upload a photo for some reason.

what food are you feeding? You need to be very careful of food fed... calcium/phosphorous levels need to be carefully watched.You should be able to see the last 2-3 ribs but not hips & spine... If she has gained an average of 4 pounds a week since you had her and you've only had her a month then it sounds like she was underweight and didn't have good body condition when you got her.. Given that it is likely to take a while... plus you don't want weight coming on to fast you want it slow and steady.
    sigpic
    Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
    Associate Member GDCNE
    Member GSPCA
    Member NAVHDA
    Member Central Maine Kennel Club
    High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Right now she's on Fromm large breed puppy. She had been on pro plan puppy

Comment

Did you do a slow switch? Since it sounds like she was underweight will take a while for the weight to pick up, be patient...you want it nice & slow.
        sigpic
        Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
        Associate Member GDCNE
        Member GSPCA
        Member NAVHDA
        Member Central Maine Kennel Club
        High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

Comment

Yep. I mixed the Fromm with it until I was out of the other stuff. She actually just started being fully on the Fromm

Comment

The possible issue may be the length of the transition. In any event the Fromm LB Puppy is a quality food and your pup should respond well to it.

Comment

Working...
            X