Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So excited and can you check out my baby Dane?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So excited and can you check out my baby Dane?

    Hi, I am new to the site, but have been lurking for a few weeks. I think one afternoon I scrolled through 40 pages of behavior and training as I am trying to learn all I can before my little guy comes home! I found a breeder who is absolutely wonderful and really cares about his Danes. I had to apply to be considered to adopt, they show their dogs, they do health testing such as OFA, you sign a contract that they will prosecute if you put your dog in a shelter instead of contacting them for placement--they care where their Danes end up. I visited them and got to meet the mom and dad and see where all the puppies and moms were at and he had it very clean, comfortable, and played music for the dogs. All the dogs there were very nice, beautiful, and healthy. He cares about them very much. He said they breed for the love of the breed, because you don't make money selling Danes, you brake even if you are lucky. I was having trouble picking out one of the litter since they were only 3 weeks, and he let me wear medical gloves and hold each one so I could be sure. Well, I picked up a male (wasn't even sure on gender yet either), and his eyes were like he was just at peace with the world. Where the others were squirmy and yelpy, he was calm and serene. He just felt right. I was in love instantly. His name will be Dublin, and I get him in 2 weeks when he is 8 weeks old. I have been reading all I can get my hands on; The Art of Raising a Puppy, The other End of the Leash, books by Victoria Stillwell...I can't wait to put into practice all I have learned. I am even prepared that my serene puppy might be full of curiosity and wonder and will be quite the pain at times! I appreciate that there are puppy stages that are so important, and I am very excited about bonding and understanding my dog for who he is and how he understands the world.

    Anyways, here are pics from when he was 5.5 weeks; I am new to the breed; how does he look according to the standards?
    Image 17992176 1425632660829689 1718317635297632505 n hosted in imgbb.com

  • #2
    Originally posted by caseynjason View Post
    Hi, I am new to the site, but have been lurking for a few weeks. I think one afternoon I scrolled through 40 pages of behavior and training as I am trying to learn all I can before my little guy comes home! I found a breeder who is absolutely wonderful and really cares about his Danes. I had to apply to be considered to adopt, they show their dogs, they do health testing such as OFA, you sign a contract that they will prosecute if you put your dog in a shelter instead of contacting them for placement--they care where their Danes end up. I visited them and got to meet the mom and dad and see where all the puppies and moms were at and he had it very clean, comfortable, and played music for the dogs. All the dogs there were very nice, beautiful, and healthy. He cares about them very much. He said they breed for the love of the breed, because you don't make money selling Danes, you brake even if you are lucky. I was having trouble picking out one of the litter since they were only 3 weeks, and he let me wear medical gloves and hold each one so I could be sure. Well, I picked up a male (wasn't even sure on gender yet either), and his eyes were like he was just at peace with the world. Where the others were squirmy and yelpy, he was calm and serene. He just felt right. I was in love instantly. His name will be Dublin, and I get him in 2 weeks when he is 8 weeks old. I have been reading all I can get my hands on; The Art of Raising a Puppy, The other End of the Leash, books by Victoria Stillwell...I can't wait to put into practice all I have learned. I am even prepared that my serene puppy might be full of curiosity and wonder and will be quite the pain at times! I appreciate that there are puppy stages that are so important, and I am very excited about bonding and understanding my dog for who he is and how he understands the world.

    Anyways, here are pics from when he was 5.5 weeks; I am new to the breed; how does he look according to the standards?
    Ethical breeders (good breeders) don't let buyers pick their puppies at three weeks of age. They don't let their buyers necessarily pick at any age - they match puppies to buyers. You said, "mom and dad" - most ethical breeders do NOT have both the mom and dad on site. They better their lines by breeding with dogs outside of their lines. Not always, but usually. You also said "moms" on site. Multiple moms. I'm wondering how big their operation is. You mention showing, but don't mention titles. I could go on - several red flags, here. Sorry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news...
    -Lisa (Zoomer's mom)

    Comment


    • #3
      You know, I've read how hard you all are on breeders, and I understand, and that is why I did my homework. That is not the question I asked. I knew you guys would find something wrong with it no matter how much I felt it was a good situation. I am still very happy with him; these are their pets, their love, and their passion and they have done a great job. He is socializing the litter now that they are 6 weeks (playtime outside, with older pups and a few new people), putting hanging toys in their den, and cares about their development. He brings them in to start potty training before we pick them up. The dad was not on site; I saw a picture of him. His brother was there, as well as his Grandma who was retired inside the home being very content. There were 2 other moms with litters that were older. Can you guys ever be open minded that it "might" be an ok situation? I feel it is safe and I will have a healthy pup. There website has a whole section on berating us to do our homework on breeders and what the standards should be and what to look for.

      Comment


      • #4
        Would you PM me the breeder name? I could tell you my opinion, but it does sound like this is a good breeder to me.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sure.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by caseynjason View Post
            You know, I've read how hard you all are on breeders, and I understand, and that is why I did my homework. That is not the question I asked. I knew you guys would find something wrong with it no matter how much I felt it was a good situation. I am still very happy with him; these are their pets, their love, and their passion and they have done a great job. He is socializing the litter now that they are 6 weeks (playtime outside, with older pups and a few new people), putting hanging toys in their den, and cares about their development. He brings them in to start potty training before we pick them up. The dad was not on site; I saw a picture of him. His brother was there, as well as his Grandma who was retired inside the home being very content. There were 2 other moms with litters that were older. Can you guys ever be open minded that it "might" be an ok situation? I feel it is safe and I will have a healthy pup. There website has a whole section on berating us to do our homework on breeders and what the standards should be and what to look for.
            The only breeders anyone has a problem with here is those that aren't responsible.. no one just "finds fault" to find fault... This is an educational forum that promotes responsible breeding and ownership...we are only "hard on breeders" who follow irresponsible practices... Here is a guideline : 1) dogs must be bred to the breed standard (GDCA here in the US and the parent clubs of other countries if outside US) 2) parents MUST have health testing before being bred...OFA or Pennhip on hips, OFA heart, thyroid & eyes 3) pedigrees must be carefully researched and matings done to compliment each other 4) breeder must stand behind every pup/dog they produce/sell 5) pups must be registered with a legit registry (AKC in the US, other in country of origin if outside US) ^) showing is great but just because someone shows doesn't make them a responsible breeder.. legit shows in US AKC is first & foremost, UKC is secondary.....

            We are very open minded but at the same time those of us involved in the breed for years, have been involved with rescues, have studied the breed standards, have years of responsible breeding/owning/training experience know what to look for and know when things may be a "bit off".. we also know the financial issues a sickly Dane can cause the owner, we know the suffering, the illness, the temperament issues that all to often comes with an ill bred Dane, we know the heartbreak...we've been there, we've seen it, we've dealt with it...so YES we are "hard on breeders"..we take a very close look.

            As far as your question goes... it goes along with what we watch for...so in reality the answers posted are the answer to your question.. Enjoy your puppy and learn all you possibly can from experienced Dane people in regards to training and feeding...we want you to have a happy, healthy puppy.
            Last edited by kahluadanes; 04-19-2017, 06:45 AM.
            sigpic
            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
            Associate Member GDCNE
            Member GSPCA
            Member NAVHDA
            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

            Comment


            • #7
              PM sent, mentioning a lot of the info listed by kahluadanes.
              Tracy
              sigpic
              Mouse April 2010
              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

              Comment


              • #8
                Wow, I thought I did my homework. So this means I shouldn't go forward? I thought I was being so careful. I didn't care if they were show dogs or not, just wanting them to come with healthy, good tempered genes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Personally, I would keep looking for a breeder that meets the higher standards I sent you. You may roll the dice and get a healthy and good tempered dane from a less-than-responsible breeder, BUT stacking the deck in your favor by at least buying a puppy from a breeder that performs the recommended health testing is a better idea. My danes have all been rescues from irresponsible breeders and they've had issues. Cancer in one at seven, poor conformation in another that was the cause for his passing, bad elbows and knees in my current dane. All heart-breaking and expensive. Good luck.
                  Tracy
                  sigpic
                  Mouse April 2010
                  Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I fb messaged them and asked about the testing...this was the reply: "All parents have ofa soft tissue heart, teeth, and patellas. We're on a mission to have all hips, knees done this year on everyone."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ask to see the results. Like, the actual certificate/paper/official document.
                      Tracy
                      sigpic
                      Mouse April 2010
                      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Ok, thank you!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by caseynjason View Post
                          I fb messaged them and asked about the testing...this was the reply: "All parents have ofa soft tissue heart, teeth, and patellas. We're on a mission to have all hips, knees done this year on everyone."
                          Danes aren't typically tested for patellas and "OFA soft tissue???? " "teeth is not an OFA test it is simply a data base that says all teeth are present..it has nothing to do with health and it is not a Dane thing"... These are very sketchy.. what needs to be done is OFA or PennHip on hips, OFA heart, Thyroid and eyes.... It really sadly sounds like they have no clue..
                          sigpic
                          Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                          Associate Member GDCNE
                          Member GSPCA
                          Member NAVHDA
                          Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                          High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by caseynjason View Post
                            Wow, I thought I did my homework. So this means I shouldn't go forward? I thought I was being so careful. I didn't care if they were show dogs or not, just wanting them to come with healthy, good tempered genes.
                            There is no such things as a responsible breeder that breeds for "show dogs" They breed to add something of value back to the breed, they breed for health, longevity, correct conformation, temperament.. showing is simply the icing on the cake.. It is sadly a big misconception when it comes to researching breeders * I didn't care if they were show dogs" or "I'm not interested in a show dog"... the things that "make a show dog" are the very things that are needed to make a healthy , even tempered pet ... also "show dogs" are first and foremost pets so health and temperament are at the forefront of a responsible breeder that shows breeding program... they always, always breed for an entire package.
                            sigpic
                            Dale AKC CGC Evaluator
                            Associate Member GDCNE
                            Member GSPCA
                            Member NAVHDA
                            Member Central Maine Kennel Club
                            High Hopes Great Danes & German Shorthairs

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So if you were me, you would lose the deposit, and look elsewhere? I am disappointed, but I really do want a healthy, well-bred Dane.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X