Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Elk Bones?

Hello Everybody!

I don't have any experience feeding raw bones whatsoever and am wondering if I can give my two dogs (one dane, one border collie X) the bones from the elk my husband shot. They are in the freezer, but I'm pretty sure one is from a front leg, one is from the hind leg...I'll know more specifically when I get them unwrapped. Thanks!!!
    sigpic

I don't see why not. I try to avoid the thicker bones, but that's more of a beef marrow bone. Elk might be thinner right? Especially the lower part of the limbs.
    ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

I would absolutely not give any of the leg bones. Those are dense enough to support an animal that weighs thousands of pounds and they can break teeth. Same with antlers. The neck bones and ribs would probably be good chews.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Use a sawzall and cut the end of the leg bones off, about six inches long or so and let them chew off the end of the bone, which is okay (softer). Then toss it. I can give my dogs the long marrow filled leg bones since they only lick out the marrow and don't chew the actual bone. That would be WAY too much work
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everybody! My husband sawed off the end part and they enjoyed chewing on them for a bit. The lower part was narrow and pretty soft. They've never had raw bones before, so they chewed pretty gingerly for a little while...and mostly tried to pull off the meat. They had a good time! I appreciate the help!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
            I would absolutely not give any of the leg bones. Those are dense enough to support an animal that weighs thousands of pounds and they can break teeth. Same with antlers. The neck bones and ribs would probably be good chews.
            A male elk weighs about 720lbs whereas a beef cow weighs about 2000 lbs, hence why I made the distinction between beef marrow bones and skinny little elk legs. But to each their own, guess it depends on the dog too. Some really go at it more than others. What's wrong with antler? Mine love to gnaw on them.
            ~ Lisa & Rupert

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
              A male elk weighs about 720lbs whereas a beef cow weighs about 2000 lbs, hence why I made the distinction between beef marrow bones and skinny little elk legs. But to each their own, guess it depends on the dog too. Some really go at it more than others. What's wrong with antler? Mine love to gnaw on them.
              720 lbs is still a heck of a big animal, and the leg bones are still really dense. Heck, my parents' 60 lb dog broke a tooth on a deer leg, and so did my future spoo breeder's Doberman. Antlers are basically bone, and they're also pretty dense. I know enough dogs that have broken teeth off outright or have had slab fractures on leg bones and antlers that I don't it's worth it, heavy chewers or not. Ive got enough alternative chew stuff that I'm not going to risk it - broken teeth are expensive! I love whole frozen pig feet for chewing. The ones I get are huge and they're completely edible too, so more bang for my buck. I get beef back ribs when they're on sale, and also beef and prob neck bones. The beef neck bones are awesome because theyre huge and weird shaped, so they clean teeth really well. Asaah eats the whole thing when she's not feeling too lazy lol.
              sigpic
              Chaucey

Comment

720 lbs is still a heck of a big animal, and the leg bones are still really dense. Heck, my parents' 60 lb dog broke a tooth on a deer leg, and so did my future spoo breeder's Doberman. Antlers are basically bone, and they're also pretty dense. I know enough dogs that have broken teeth off outright or have had slab fractures on leg bones and antlers that I don't it's worth it, heavy chewers or not. Ive got enough alternative chew stuff that I'm not going to risk it - broken teeth are expensive! I love whole frozen pig feet for chewing. The ones I get are huge and they're completely edible too, so more bang for my buck. I get beef back ribs when they're on sale, and also beef and prob neck bones. The beef neck bones are awesome because theyre huge and weird shaped, so they clean teeth really well. Asaah eats the whole thing when she's not feeling too lazy lol.
                I also don't do any weight bearing bones either. Marrow bones are notorious for causing slab fractures. It's just not worth it to me.

Last few months, I've been buying the neck bones. I've found them super cheap ($2-ish a pound) and it takes the dogs forever to chew them down just a bit. Mine really like that there is so much meaty bites on them still. I can't get mine to actually eat the whole thing. They chew off the ends of the bone eventually, but the center part of the neck bone gets dropped. I think it eventually becomes too much work. HAHA...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Angel7292 View Post
                  I also don't do any weight bearing bones either. Marrow bones are notorious for causing slab fractures. It's just not worth it to me.

Last few months, I've been buying the neck bones. I've found them super cheap ($2-ish a pound) and it takes the dogs forever to chew them down just a bit. Mine really like that there is so much meaty bites on them still. I can't get mine to actually eat the whole thing. They chew off the ends of the bone eventually, but the center part of the neck bone gets dropped. I think it eventually becomes too much work. HAHA...
                  Do you get the BRB meaty bones or just ones at the store? Lately I have not been able to find any neck bones at the store that aren't cut in pieces, and 2 dogs in my co-op group have choked to death on them, despite it being written in 85 places and everyone being told not to feed those I've been having to order the BRB ones by the case.
                  sigpic
                  Chaucey

Comment

Do you get the BRB meaty bones or just ones at the store? Lately I have not been able to find any neck bones at the store that aren't cut in pieces, and 2 dogs in my co-op group have choked to death on them, despite it being written in 85 places and everyone being told not to feed those I've been having to order the BRB ones by the case.

Jennifer has gotten me some bags of BRB meaty bones before. She was going to get me another bag when I realized that the BRB meaty bones ARE neck bones. HAHA What I'm buying at the store is the thick slices (about 2") of what I think is the neck bone cut in half, just like what comes in the bag from BRB but with more meat on it. I almost always used things like ox tails for beef stock, but the nearly $5 a pound price annoyed me. People think ox tail is chic or something? I buy those big neck bones for about $2-ish a pound. They make delicious stock!

See the photo for the big neck bones ... which are cut in half (at store, not by me). Ignore the marrow bones, LOL I was roasting the bones for stock, not for the dogs.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Jennifer has gotten me some bags of BRB meaty bones before. She was going to get me another bag when I realized that the BRB meaty bones ARE neck bones. HAHA What I'm buying at the store is the thick slices (about 2") of what I think is the neck bone cut in half, just like what comes in the bag from BRB but with more meat on it. I almost always used things like ox tails for beef stock, but the nearly $5 a pound price annoyed me. People think ox tail is chic or something? I buy those big neck bones for about $2-ish a pound. They make delicious stock!

See the photo for the big neck bones ... which are cut in half (at store, not by me). Ignore the marrow bones, LOL I was roasting the bones for stock, not for the dogs.
                      Gotcha. I can't find anything like that around here! Even the cut pork neck bones are over $2/lb, no thanks! And oxtail is ridiculous here too. The only thing I usually use for chewing that I get from the store is beef ribs and sometimes I cut the shoulder blade bone out of a pork shoulder and give that to Asaah.
                      sigpic
                      Chaucey

Comment

My dogs don't really like to chew much anymore. It could be that they are raw fed and so get lots of different textures and variety, but Mouse doesn't even like bully sticks...
                        Tracy
                        sigpic
                        Mouse April 2010
                        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by mnmouse View Post
                          My dogs don't really like to chew much anymore. It could be that they are raw fed and so get lots of different textures and variety, but Mouse doesn't even like bully sticks...
                          I noticed Asaah doesn't seem to care about bully sticks as much any more either. I still buy them but they last forever and I'm lucky if she eats half of one...I end up giving them to my parents' dog. She hasn't had any bones or pig feet to chew on since I sold the house either and doesn't seem to care. Maybe it is the raw, I try to give her big stuff like whole turkeys and pork butts as often as I can.
                          sigpic
                          Chaucey

Comment

I buy Phin a lot of crunchy things that are gone pretty quick, like trachea, lung, duck feet, etc. I normally don't buy bullysticks. When I was at Tractor Supply right before Christmas, I bought one of those spiral bullysticks instead of his normal favorite moo-tube. I figured a longer chew might be enjoyed by him. I hand it to him and tell my husband about the fact it will take longer to chew and he proceeds to chomp, chew, crunch and *poof* gone. WTH??? Are those spiral ones like flimsy compared to the straight ones or something? He didn't swallow it whole, he for sure crunched it up, but it was mere minutes!! $10 for THAT! I'm going back to buying my 6" Tracheas for $1.99.
                            sigpic

Comment

I buy Phin a lot of crunchy things that are gone pretty quick, like trachea, lung, duck feet, etc. I normally don't buy bullysticks. When I was at Tractor Supply right before Christmas, I bought one of those spiral bullysticks instead of his normal favorite moo-tube. I figured a longer chew might be enjoyed by him. I hand it to him and tell my husband about the fact it will take longer to chew and he proceeds to chomp, chew, crunch and *poof* gone. WTH??? Are those spiral ones like flimsy compared to the straight ones or something? He didn't swallow it whole, he for sure crunched it up, but it was mere minutes!! $10 for THAT! I'm going back to buying my 6" Tracheas for $1.99.
                              The spiral ones that I've seen are really dry and crunchy, so they don't last long. I get the thick or jumbo ones from bestbullysticks.com in the bag of 25 when they're on sale and I think they're around $5 each or so. They lasted Finn a few hours, though my parents' dog Rocket can finish one in 10 minutes.
                              sigpic
                              Chaucey

Comment

Working...
                              X