No announcement yet.

Need Help with 8 week on raw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the premixed raw food at specialty dog stores would that be easier on his stomach with no additives?

Comment

Plain chicken has 115g of sodium in one cup, naturally. You'd have to check the package and calculate the serving size listed to see if it'a been "enhanced". Usually it will say "enhanced with a 10% solution" or something like that. Talk to the meat department manager. Ask them if they have unenhanced chicken, or chicken without sodium added. Tell them you have high blood pressure and need to eliminate salt from your diet

Personally, I might carefully look into the pre-packaged raw available for sale for an underweight eight week old puppy with loose watery stool. Dehydration is quick in the young and can be deadly. I might even go with a high quality kibble until he's back up to a good weight with a firm stool. I have a feeling you may be in over your head, feeding this puppy raw as an inexperience raw puppy feeder.
      Tracy
      sigpic
      Mouse April 2010
      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I wanted to give him the best, and raw from my research seemed to be that choice. I hate to go to a kibble but the bottom line is I just want wants best for my dog, if right now that means going to a kibble then that is what I need to do.
        What gets me is after about 6 months of research into raw, I thought OK, this doesn't seem too bad, yes a little more work but manageable and worth it in the end, but as each day passes I find there are more and more obstacles, making it very difficult to follow, now I am searching for special meat markets etc for meat with nothing added.

But just when I say that's it I will just go with a high end kibble I go to the Kibble forum and people are having all kinds of issues with there dogs on kibble, same issues I have already experience with my last Dane.

So here I am stuck.

Comment

I personally don't like premade raw diets. You have zero control over what is in them, and most of them are really high in bone and use lots of veggies as fillers and cheap meat sources like lung and trachea. There's nothing wrong with feeding lung and trachea, but it shouldn't make up the bulk of the diet. Look at the store for the chicken leg quarters that come in 10 lb bags. I can usually find them without any added enhancements. I want to say the sodium content is around 95 mg/4oz serving, and that's the natural sodium content. I get them at Walmart or Meijer. Try feeding leg quarters, or you can cut the drums off to feed and keep the thighs for later if he needs that extra bone. I think that if he's clear of parasites and giardia/coccidia, it's probably the stuff added to the chicken that's causing the issue. Some dogs it doesn't bother, some it really does. Asaah has been on raw all her life and is 4 1/2 and she will still get nasty soft 💩 from the grocery store chicken in the foam containers. It's the crap they inject the chicken with.

I'm not a kibble fan, but if you need to put him on kibble to put on weight while you get this figured out, then do it. It won't kill him. What state do you live in? Maybe members here can point you in the right direction. I'm also a member of a Facebook group that you could join if interested. It's called Raw Food Diet for Dogs and Cats. There's a list of meat resources by area in the group files hat was compiled by group members that might also help you find good resources for affordable meat.
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

thank you so much i am in San Diego area, and I really appreciate the advice you all have given me

Comment

I'm a die hard raw feeder, but this situation made me suggest a good dane puppy kibble just because he's so young and already underweight. Maybe just use kibble for a few months until he's stable and growing well and you find a good source of non-enhanced raw.
              Tracy
              sigpic
              Mouse April 2010
              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Working...
              X