Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with 8 week on raw

Hi All,

Before getting our puppy I knew this time around I wanted to do raw. After getting him last Friday I have been giving him chicken breast and wings only, his poop was solid for the first day or 2 he was in our home but for the past 4 days he has had explosive diarrhea. We have had him for 6 days.
    I knew to expect this a little, but is there any advise on how to calm the diarrhea a little, and am I starting with the right type of food?

Also he is slightly under weight I can see some hip bones and more than a few ribs.
    Otherwise his activity level is great and he acts normal.

Any advice would be great as I am debating to just switch to a high end kibble.

John

Some diarrhea is not unexpected. Don't overfeed him. This is a common mistake and it can cause diarrhea. Stick with it awhile. Don't give up on raw this soon. Turkey is leaner than chicken. You might want to feed some meat meals of ground turkey and add a tablespoon of plain yogurt to it.

Comment

Thank you so much,
      Is it OK to switch protein sources this early, I am assuming it is OK to do so between chicken and turkey.

Also was it OK to start raw cold turkey or should I have started introducing it slowly I have read it both ways.
      Last edited by Hudson1; 11-02-2016, 08:40 AM. Reason: added thought

Comment

I always switched cold turkey. It doesn't seem like you are feeding fatty chicken choices but in case the fat is causing the diarrhea is why I suggested turkey. It's better to stick with one protein source but some dogs are allergic to chicken and you don't know until you feed it. Cut back on the amount you are feeding. I always just looked at my pups. If they looked too heavy to me I would skip the next meal. It's easy to overfeed them because they love raw.

Comment

Ok, he does look very thin to me, I can see almost all ribs and the hip bones. he is 8 weeks and 13lbs

Comment

He shouldn't be that thin looking. Have you had him checked for worms?

Comment

No not yet I am talking him in on Saturday

Comment

O.k. Take a stool sample in with you.

Comment

thank you so much for your help! and the advise, I will take a sample with me to the vet and I feel a little better he just went poop now and it was more like chunky soup than water, so I feel it could be getting better.

Comment

Take most of the skin off, too, if you can. That can cause loose stool.
                    Tracy
                    sigpic
                    Mouse April 2010
                    Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Did you get your chicken at the grocery store? Most grocery store chicken has sodium solution added to it that can cause diarrhea. When my boy was a pup I thought my source was sodium free but it turned out not to be and he had explosive watery diarrhea on and off for weeks until I switched sources. It cleared up in a day or two after that.
                      Last edited by Michelle L; 11-04-2016, 05:02 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle L View Post
                        Did you get your chicken at the grocery store? Most grocery store chicken has sodium solution added to it that can cause diarrhea. When my boy was a pup I thought my source was sodium free but it turned out not to be and he had explosive watery diarrhea for weeks until I switched sources. It cleared up in a day or two after that.
                        I was just going to say the same thing. Asaah will get the runs from the grocery store chicken that comes in the foam package - almost all of that is injected with a solution. She does fine with the chicken with no added sodium/enhancements. I can sally find the 10 lb bags of leg quarters with no additives. Maybe try those.
                        sigpic
                        Chaucey
                        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
                          I was just going to say the same thing. Asaah will get the runs from the grocery store chicken that comes in the foam package - almost all of that is injected with a solution. She does fine with the chicken with no added sodium/enhancements. I can sally find the 10 lb bags of leg quarters with no additives. Maybe try those.
                          Yeah, at first I was buying mine from a "natural" Amish grocery about an hour from me. Turns out it still had additives but it wasn't on the bulk label.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes I have been getting it from our grocery store and it is in the foam bottom package I will try to find some with no added sodium. And I have just started removing the skin, is there and thing I can add to his diet to firm up stool? Also if it has sodium does that mean it was added, it just says not a sodium free product
                            Last edited by Hudson1; 11-03-2016, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Feeding more bone and less meat will firm up the stools. Freeze the skin for later use if you are removing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X