Want to make the switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to make the switch

I want to make the switch but unsure exactly how much to feed my Dane! He just turn 6 months last week and weighs about 80# yesterday. I'd like to put just a couple more pounds on him, too! I was gonna start with some leg quarters and see how he likes it. I just don't know exactly how much he needs to eat. All help is more than appreciated!

This is a pretty good site for explaining how to switch: http://preymodelraw.com/page/article...l-raw-diet-r19

Make sure you do your research first so you have a good idea what you're doing before you start. I think that raw is the best diet IF it's done correctly, but it can cause a lot of problems if done wrong, and there's a little more to it than dumping food in a dish.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

So from reading and Re-reading that website, it sounds like the best thing to start him off with is chicken backs then after a few days try and transition to leg quarters. The only question that I've really had is how do you know exactly how much weight in bone and weight in meat is in each item? Titan is at 80# so at 2-3% he should be eating 1.6-2.5lbs of food a day. So essentially just to make it an easy equation, a pound of food per meal. He should only be getting 1.6oz of bones, 1.6oz organ meet, and 12.8oz of skeletal meat. So how do I figure out how much bone is in the chicken backs, quarters, etc. and do I need to add some just normal boneless chicken breast in there to help get that amount of skeletal meat?

Comment

The easiest way is to watch the poop. If it's hard, white, crumbly that's too much bone. If it's runny, that's not enough. When I started Fergus I fed him higher bone content because he is prone to loose poop. After a few days I backed him down to a "nomal" amount and just kept an eye on what was coming out the back end. Also, you don't have to feed organ daily. I always fed it about 2x a week I think. Somewhere there's a table with estimates on bone/meat percentages on different cuts, but I can't remember where I found that. Helpful, huh?
        sigpic
        Fergus
        SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
        Eisen Shark
        C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

I think leg quarters are a better place to start, but yeah, you watch poop and adjust from there. There's a USDA website that breaks down bone content, but you don't really need to do the math, just watch the poop. You will become a master poop watcher Also you don't start with organ right away. I got my pup used to 3 different proteins before starting organs, so about 3 weeks in. I started with a small amount each day, then gradually increased the amount I was feeding at a time. Now I feed the weekly portion of organ once a week with something really bony like a turkey neck or a duck carcass. But not all dogs will be able to tolerate that, and you can feed organ daily if you want. If you want you can join the Facebook group Raw Food Diet for Dogs and Cats, there's a how to switch to raw guide in the files that breaks it down.
          sigpic
          Chaucey

Comment

It's all about the poop lol. Most dogs will need extra bone for the first couple of months, that's why backs work pretty well to start. The cleansing aspect of a raw diet WILL result in some loose weird stools for awhile, and the backs have a lot of bone to counteract that. Once the poo firms up, I would recommend trying quarters and see what happens. If you can't find backs, you can use quarters, just cut out the big thigh muscle for awhile and re-freeze it to feed at a later time.

Don't worry about organ for a couple of weeks. Organ can cause loose stools, too, so it's best to get your dog eating straight bone and muscle meat and having solid poo before even thinking about organ. I get ground organ (or grind it myself, I have a grinder) and mix in wild caught salmon oil, and some vitamin/mineral powder (helps stiffen it up, you could use instant potato flakes, instant oatmeal, instant rice, etc to firm it up) and then stuff it into hollow marrow bones and freeze it. My dogs get one frozen organ bone a night as a frozen treat. They'd eat it raw and slimy in their bowl (some dogs refuse), but they love their frozen bones.

Let say you bought 25# of chicken quarters, 50# of beef, 25# of pork hearts, and 25# of turkey necks. That's 100#, you'd need just 5# of liver and 5# of spleen, kidney, brains, etc. So you have 110# of meat, split into 2.5 pounds a day--that's 44 days of food. Just make sure you've fed all of what you bought, chicken turkey beef pork and organ, over that 44 days (again, watching to poo)--and your diet will be balanced.
            Tracy
            sigpic
            Mouse April 2010
            Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Is it ok to leave the skin on the chicken? I have heard that chicken skin is not good for dogs

Comment

Some people take it off at first because it's fatty. It can contribute to diarrhea when you first start feeding raw. If you do this, freeze it for later use. Once your dog is used to eating a raw diet feed the whole piece, skin and all.

Comment

Is it too much bone to just feed him a leg quarter? Or should I just use some of the leg quarter and use breast to make up the rest of the meal?

Comment

Just give him a leg quarter.

Comment

You NEED more bone at first. That's why backs are a good start, or a quarter with part of the meat removed, as stated in my post earlier. You can give a whole quarter and try it, but if the poo is soft and runny, take out some meat. You might need 50% bone and 50% meat at first. My dogs need very little bone at this point, like a chicken quarter meal twice a week...but they've been eating raw for years--nothing much can upset their system at this point. (Which is another huge benefit of raw feeding most people never mention--some kibble fed dogs are SO sensitive to even the smallest changes in diet--one little weird treat and they have cannon butt. My crew have chewed apart deer carcasses with zero problems--lol. )
                      Tracy
                      sigpic
                      Mouse April 2010
                      Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I started with just leg quarters and had no issues. The backs I got were big but also mostly bone, skin, and fat with very little meat, so they didn't work for me. They would have caused cannon butt for sure. If you get loose stool with just quarters, then use just legs and save the thighs for later, or add in some backs for more bone. Also check out the level of sodium and enhancements in the chicken. I use the 10 lb bags of leg quarters with no problems, but the chicken that comes in the yellow foam package from the grocery store has enhancements or added broth or something and I noticed both my dogs got loose stools with that. They're fine with chicken from the big bags or from my co-op. Like Mnmouse said, you need way more than 10% bone at first, but you'll find that their need for bone usually goes down over time.
                        sigpic
                        Chaucey

Comment

It just seems like he is trying to poop but is struggling to and when he does, it's not very much. Like two or three little nuggets haha

On a side note, he seems to be loving the diet switch! He would barely eat his kibble, but now he is demolishing the raw meat. Should I be basing his amount of food off of how much he weighs now or off of how much he should weigh? Also, I've read that puppies require a higher percentage but only up to a certain weight. I've been using the 2-3% for Titan right now
                          Last edited by Zeus123; 09-11-2016, 10:57 PM.

Comment

They don't poop very much so that's normal. If he is straining to go feed more meat and less bone.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
                              They don't poop very much so that's normal. If he is straining to go feed more meat and less bone.
                              and the skin too, if you've been removing it. Do things gradually, though. First, try more meat, then if the poo is still too hard after a day or two, add the skin. Sometimes the poo will be hard initially, then turn runny for awhile as the system gets used to real food.
                              Tracy
                              sigpic
                              Mouse April 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X