Quick Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question

I have been feeding a raw diet to all my dogs for about 18 years, so it seems silly to ask this.
    I haven't fed beef hearts however, lots of liver (pork and beef, chicken livers etc). Do we treat the beef heart like liver? I KNOW (found out hard way) that too much liver has disastrous results. This seems to be more dense and meaty but want to be careful.
    Maybe someone can clue me in?
    Thanks!

Louie is not full Dane as you can see, LOL!
    Attached Files

You don't have to be as careful as liver. Some people use them instead of hamburger for a raw meat meal. Very beneficial to feed as it's got taurine in it and is good for the dog's heart. Feed once or twice a week. It's not organ meat. A little bit rich but I have never found it to cause diarrhea.

Comment

Treat heart like muscle meat, not organ. My dogs LOVE beef and pork heart.

Comment

Pork heart is a hit in my house. My cat nearly does flips for it.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Ok, thanks
          I thought it was considered more a muscle meat but wasn't sure. I will treat it as such. It won't be a daily option. Is more expensive than the chicken I buy

I also feed a bit daily of what I call bone meal but I don't think it is the same as what everyone refers to as "bone meal". I get this from a small processing place that does local beef, pork, deer etc. It is actually the "bone dust" from the saws. It is great stuff all meat,fat and bone and they pkg it for me in bags kinda like fine hamburger and only charge me .30 a lb. This is great for puppies and will put on weight so I don't feed a lot. If anyone is interested you can call one of this places (especially if you live more rural) most just throw it away and are glad to sell it to you.

Comment

If you are feeding a raw diet that includes bones you don't need to be adding bone meal.

Comment

Heart is fed as meat, but yeah, you should be careful if you've never fed it before. It can definitely cause cannon butt if you feed a bunch at once.
              sigpic
              Chaucey
              Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Like I explained this isn't like true bone meal, it is ground up meat and bone fresh frozen. Would be almost like hamburger with ground bones in it. Like the sawdust from the saws.

Comment

Working...
                X