Taking the plunge.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the plunge.

So I've officially decided to take the plunge and switch Parros to raw. Nervous? Yes. Is my brain exploding with too much information? Yes. Am I still going to keep researching? Yes. Lol. So I've learned that his diet should be a consistent 80/10/10% and that for his height/weight he should be eating 3-3.5lbs per day total. That he should be getting a variety of meat like beef, lamb, pork, elk, rabbit, chicken etc. not a single protein source. That heart is technically not considered an "organ" lol. That apparently tripe isn't pleasant lol. I have a lot more but enough of my babbling, my question is if he is allergic to chicken which he is highly, what protein is it best to start with?
    sigpic 6/20/14 Parros

You can really start with any protein - if you're concerned about chicken, you could start with turkey instead?

Comment

Start with something like another poultry or rabbit - whatever you can get locally. I'd wait until he's adjusted to the diet and then try some chicken. He might be ok with it in raw form. Hope everything goes well!
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I just want to point out that Mouse seemed to be reactive to chicken in kibble, bad rashy stuff all down his neck which went away when I got him on a kibble with zero chicken products in it. I started him on raw three years ago, using chicken as my first protein and he can eat raw chicken with zero problems.
        Tracy
        sigpic
        Mouse April 2010
        Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

That's what we did once we found out he was allergic to chicken, we just switched flavored within Orijen as long as it didn't have chicken or eggs. But I have heard people having success with raw feeding chicken so I hope that's the case

We had our first official raw meal tonight, he had rabbit chunks, tripe, a little bit of liver, a couple thick horse bones. And the regular coconut oil, fish oil, Apple cider vinegar. He seemed to really like it all and he chomped through the bones like a champ no hesitation 👍🏻 One thing I love about Germany is that a lot of places sell raw meat/bones/organs for animals. Walk into a Hundemaxx here and there's two huge aisles of frozen and fresh meat just for dogs. You can buy anything from whole frozen larynx, whole baby chicks (kinda sad&#128546, tripe:lamb, cow,horse,etc. heart, brain, pretty much anything that I thought would never be sold in stores😂
          sigpic 6/20/14 Parros

Comment

Originally posted by Dom12 View Post
            That's what we did once we found out he was allergic to chicken, we just switched flavored within Orijen as long as it didn't have chicken or eggs. But I have heard people having success with raw feeding chicken so I hope that's the case

We had our first official raw meal tonight, he had rabbit chunks, tripe, a little bit of liver, a couple thick horse bones. And the regular coconut oil, fish oil, Apple cider vinegar. He seemed to really like it all and he chomped through the bones like a champ no hesitation 👍🏻 One thing I love about Germany is that a lot of places sell raw meat/bones/organs for animals. Walk into a Hundemaxx here and there's two huge aisles of frozen and fresh meat just for dogs. You can buy anything from whole frozen larynx, whole baby chicks (kinda sad&#128546, tripe:lamb, cow,horse,etc. heart, brain, pretty much anything that I thought would never be sold in stores😂
            You might want to avoid organs for now and start with just one protein at a time, and then add only one at a time to allow him to adjust. Organs at this point might be asking for a storm. Some dogs might be ok, and some might not. When I moved too fast with the organs with Finn, he painted his crate (and the carpet and walls) brown at 4 am. I learned to slow the heck down to avoid cannon butt. Also if he has a reaction to anything, you'll have no clue what it is because he's had several different protein sources at once.
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by Dom12 View Post
              One thing I love about Germany is that a lot of places sell raw meat/bones/organs for animals. Walk into a Hundemaxx here and there's two huge aisles of frozen and fresh meat just for dogs. You can buy anything from whole frozen larynx, whole baby chicks (kinda sad&#128546, tripe:lamb, cow,horse,etc. heart, brain, pretty much anything that I thought would never be sold in stores😂
              SO jealous!

Comment

Working...
              X