Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swallowed bone without chewing...

Hi guys,

George had his first raw meal today with bone... I gave turkey backs and some pumpkin puree. He was really into it, and when he found the largest turkey chunk, he pretty much swallowed it whole. It had about a 4 or 5" length of narrow bone from the turkey back.

Will he be okay since he did not chew the bone? He ate about 20 minutes ago and is acting normal. I'm just paranoid because last year he had emergency surgery for an intestinal blockage (he ate a portion of a corn cob - still have no idea where it came from). My internet research suggests that his stomach should be able to break down and digest raw turkey bones, but is this the case if he did not chew it?

Should I be worried or is this going to be okay?

I'm considering investing in a grinder so I don't have to worry about this in the future.
    sigpic

He should be able to digest that, although turkey backs are a crap ton of dense bone for a dog new to raw. You may need to add a little meat to that. I added a little raw apple cider vinegar when I switched Finn to raw and he had a little undigested bone in his stool and that helped. Chicken bones are easier to digest. Dogs don't really chew like we do, they basically chomp it into a hunk small enough to swallow and swallow it. If he tries to gulp down food without chomping, feed him large things like whole chickens that he can't swallow whole, or freeze smaller things together in a big hunk. And corn cobs are horrible for obstructions. I live in a rural area (think lots of cornfields) and my vet says he removes mostly corn cobs and rawhides from the dogs around here.
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

thanks for the input. I didn't start with chicken because he's allergic to it. I did feed mainly turkey meat, and just that one section of the meat had the bone in it. He's just napping on the couch now and seems fine - I seem to be the only one who is in distress! I'll update tomorrow when he has a successful BM and no vomit.

And for corn cobs - they are so scary. I live in an urban area and sometimes I see them just thrown out on the street.... especially after holidays like July 4. I wish more people knew they were toxic and dangerous for dogs
      sigpic

Comment

forgot to ask -

as for the ACV, did you just add it into the meal? about how much were you giving?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MaryMitchell View Post
          forgot to ask -

as for the ACV, did you just add it into the meal? about how much were you giving?
          I just poured a splash in with his food.
          sigpic
          Chaucey
          Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

I have sometimes been worried about the large bones my dogs swallow but they seem to digest them because I never see whole bones come out in...um well...you know...

When my puppy was very small...I did see pieces of bone come out and once the sharp end came first and sort of got stuck ... I had to help it out to avoid tearing her...um...well you know . Because of that I always watched carefully when she went poo but it never happened again. Once she got a little older I never saw bone pieces anymore...she digested the bone... same as the adults.

This is just one more thing that I think indicates raw is right for dogs. Their digestive systems are obviously designed to eat meat and bones.

Oh...I would personally not feed ground bone because the bones provide exercise for the jaws and help to keep their teeth clean. With nothing but ground bones you are back to the same issue of buildup on their teeth that you get with kibble. Just My Humble Opinion
            sigpic
            Ashley (8/28/06), Sweet Pea (7/31/15) and Kaylee (3/30/07) Love my spotty girls!!
            R.I.P. My Sweet Molly (12/17/2000 5/28/13) I will never forget you.

Comment

Thank you for the reassurance!

This morning he had his and I did not see any bone fragments. In fact, I was delighted to see a smaller, firmer poo than the gross mushy piles I'm used to cleaning up when feeding kibble!

I was also happy to see him chew the bone in his breakfast this morning. I'm getting more comfortable with raw with every meal... can't wait for those sparkling teeth to start shining!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MaryMitchell View Post
                I didn't start with chicken because he's allergic to it.
                do you mean he's allergic to chicken processed in kibble? if that's what you mean, he would probably do fine on RAW chicken.

when i first started feeding raw, i had 2 dane girls that couldn't get within a hundred miles of chicken-based kibble without getting explosive . it was horrible! so when i decided to feed raw, i told my mentor i wasn't starting them on chicken. she said go ahead and do it, chances are very good that they won't have a reaction to it. so, i did. and they didn't!

there is something about how the protein changes during the "cooking" process that renders it intolerable to some dogs but those same dogs do just fine on raw chicken. those 2 girls did great on it for years!
                [SIGPIC]

Comment

Mouse was also reactive to chicken in kibble, bad hives/rashy neck. He eats raw chicken just fine.
                  Tracy
                  sigpic
                  Mouse April 2010
                  Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                  X