Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First attempt at BARF diet - and thats exactly what he did!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First attempt at BARF diet - and thats exactly what he did!!

Hi everyone;

Long time debater about switching my 2 yr old dane to RAW (still debating Prey Model vs BARF).

Tried him on his first chicken quarter, layed it in his dish and he looked at me like I was crazy. So I ended up holding it for him while he ate.

About halfway through, he backed up and threw up all over the kitchen floor. (much to the amusement of other family members who think I shouldn't be doing RAW).

What do you think happened? Do you think it's was just a texture thing? I am a bit apprehensive to try again now. Should I try grinding it for the first little while?

Any advice?

It may have just gone down wrong and he gagged. I would not be hand feeding him, I don't see how he can possibly crunch it up correctly if you are holding it. Depending on how big the 1/4's are I snap the bone (running to ribs/back?)up thru the meat and almost cut the 1/4 in half and I always remove the skin (I bake them for treats)
    Maybe try backs or legs til he gets the hang of it - btw... my daughter hates that I raw feed but she doesn't complain about the smaller piles of poop silver linging - lol

Comment

No, don't grind it. Try it again. See if he will eat it by himself first. If not, hold it.

Comment

Was it cold or partially frozen?

Comment

It was cold, but not frozen.

I will attempt it again. He didn't choke at all, just threw it up.

Comment

It's not unusual for them to throw it back up at first. The reason is usually they haven't chewed it enough. They will chew it some more and swallow it again. Yuk, but these are dogs.

Comment

I'd just put the quarter down and let him eat. If he barfs, let him eat it again, gross but it's what they do. Feed in his crate if you want to contain any mess. Just try again!
              sigpic
              Chaucey
              Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by collegal View Post
                Hi everyone;

Long time debater about switching my 2 yr old dane to RAW (still debating Prey Model vs BARF).

Tried him on his first chicken quarter, layed it in his dish and he looked at me like I was crazy. So I ended up holding it for him while he ate.

About halfway through, he backed up and threw up all over the kitchen floor. (much to the amusement of other family members who think I shouldn't be doing RAW).

What do you think happened? Do you think it's was just a texture thing? I am a bit apprehensive to try again now. Should I try grinding it for the first little while?

Any advice?
                Heyhey,

So I've only just switched to raw myself and I started with chicken, but my friend who has been feeding her dog raw for over a year can't feed him chicken for the same reason, he just can't keep it down.

He is a seasoned veteran when it comes to eating a raw diet now, he will literally eat anything (think rabbits, fur and all) but his system just can't process the chicken.

Maybe try him on something else and see how he does, i guess it's unusually for a dog to get a chicken intolerance but I'm not sure it's impossible haha.

Comment

Working...
                X