Feeding Seafood?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Seafood?

Well, I have decided to take the leap into raw. I have found a few reliably cheap meat sources with some good variety, and I plan on switching soon. One of my sources is a fish and seafood market run by a family member. He has agreed to give me all the daily leftovers that they just throw out. I'm not sure how beneficial is is to have fish/seafood as a regular part of the diet, though? I will typically have access to proteins such as catfish, red fish, salmon, flounder, tuna, oyster, shark steak, shrimp, crab, gator, frog... ect. It's a long list. I can get fish whole, gutted, or skinned and filleted.

Some of my other protein options (from other vendors) are: Bison, beef, venison, rabbit, squirrel, and goat, and organs from all of the aforementioned. I can also stock up on game birds if my family is lucky enough to take any during season. I would love some suggestions for feeding these less common proteins, or some wisdom for feeding them at all. Thank you in advance!
    ElliePhant
    Mom to:
    Ellie: 3.29.15 Blue GD 34" 135lbs
    Solo: 10yr. Chiweenie (rescue)
    Layla: 3yr Terrier Mix (rescue)

Red meat should predominate the diet, but if it's free, feed it I freeze any wild game for about a month before feeding. You shouldn't feed any upstream-swimming fish from the Pacific Northwest at all because that can cause salmon poisoning. Plus you probably want to avoid stuff like wild boar, bear, wild cats like mountain lions, fox and wolves, seals, and walrus (really). They can carry trichinosis, which is not always killed by freezing. Remove any sharp spines or fins from fish. I think maybe frogs and gator would be considered red meat, but I'm not sure. It looks like white meat - can anybody weigh in? Sounds like you'll have a really good variety!
    sigpic
    Chaucey
    Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
      Red meat should predominate the diet, but if it's free, feed it I freeze any wild game for about a month before feeding. You shouldn't feed any upstream-swimming fish from the Pacific Northwest at all because that can cause salmon poisoning. Plus you probably want to avoid stuff like wild boar, bear, wild cats like mountain lions, fox and wolves, seals, and walrus (really). They can carry trichinosis, which is not always killed by freezing. Remove any sharp spines or fins from fish. I think maybe frogs and gator would be considered red meat, but I'm not sure. It looks like white meat - can anybody weigh in? Sounds like you'll have a really good variety!
      I think frog and gator are both white meat. From what I've read, red meat is from mammals.
      sigpic
      Fergus
      SC Dinnie Stone Guardian, CGC
      Eisen Shark
      C Shadows On The Sun, CGC

Comment

Originally posted by SuzanneRM82 View Post
        I think frog and gator are both white meat. From what I've read, red meat is from mammals.
        Yep, just googled it. Looks like it depends on who you ask too. Either way, if someone gave me frog and gator, I'd feed it
        sigpic
        Chaucey
        Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Wow! Wish I had all your sources. I did talk to my local grocery store the other day and they are going to give me anything they would otherwise throw out but it is tiny and I probably won't get much from them. I am just going to keep mentioning it to everyone though and hopefully I will find some more people willing to donate.
          sigpic

Comment

Here in Texas they won't give you anything that they would throw away for the dogs because people might eat it and make them sick and they would get sued. .

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
              Here in Texas they won't give you anything that they would throw away for the dogs because people might eat it and make them sick and they would get sued. .
              Yep, here too. Big stores will give away old food to farms for livestock feed or whatnot, but you have to prove you are a working farm and sign a release.

I've kept my freezer full for about the last year from free deer I scrounge and craigslist scores. It because almost a game, the search for free meat. I picked up a whole quarter beef last week, and will pick up eight whole chickens and about 40 pounds of pork this Sunday from another person.

Join a facebook group for your community and local area. Then post on there looking for free old freezer meat for your dogs that you will pick up. My friend has gotten a lot that way.
              Tracy
              sigpic
              Mouse April 2010
              Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolB View Post
                I am in Texas too. The fish market is the only retail source I have. However, I am planning on contacting some of the local butchers and meat processors for scraps and organs. The rest of my red meat is either meat we have hunted, or meat from ranchers that I know who are willing to see to me cheap. I lucked out on the bison, a rancher friend has three that are older and wont do well in market. so I am paying for butchering all three and giving him one back.
                ElliePhant
                Mom to:
                Ellie: 3.29.15 Blue GD 34" 135lbs
                Solo: 10yr. Chiweenie (rescue)
                Layla: 3yr Terrier Mix (rescue)

Comment

Working...
                X