Considering The Switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering The Switch

I am considering making the switch to a raw diet, but I do not have an open ended budget. How cost effective is feeding raw? How much do you typically spend a month on a complete diet (meat, suppliments, veggies, ect) I would love to discover that this is something I can afford to do!
    ElliePhant
    Mom to:
    Ellie: 3.29.15 Blue GD 34" 135lbs
    Solo: 10yr. Chiweenie (rescue)
    Layla: 3yr Terrier Mix (rescue)

I spend about what I would spend on high quality kibble.

A balanced raw diet only needs omega 3s in fish oil as a supplement.

Read this: http://skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm
    Tracy
    sigpic
    Mouse April 2010
    Echo -- run free, Sweetie! Jan 9, 2007 - April 24, 2014 Lost to osteosarcoma at 7 years, 3 months. RIP.

Comment

I also spend about the same on raw as a high quality kibble. I use a co-op and my prices are pretty good. Really depends on your local meat prices. I only use a fish oil and a little kelp and alfalfa powder for the extra vitamins since I don't vaccinate after the puppy shots. No veggies here at all, I feed prey model raw.

Whereabouts do you live? If you want, you can join the Facebook raw group I help admin. We have a member compiled list of meat resources by area. I didn't write it, so I don't think I can post it here. The group is called Raw Food Diet for Dogs and Cats.
      sigpic
      Chaucey
      Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Originally posted by oshagcj914 View Post
        I also spend about the same on raw as a high quality kibble. I use a co-op and my prices are pretty good. Really depends on your local meat prices. I only use a fish oil and a little kelp and alfalfa powder for the extra vitamins since I don't vaccinate after the puppy shots. No veggies here at all, I feed prey model raw.

Whereabouts do you live? If you want, you can join the Facebook raw group I help admin. We have a member compiled list of meat resources by area. I didn't write it, so I don't think I can post it here. The group is called Raw Food Diet for Dogs and Cats.
        I live in Lufkin (small town in Deep East Texas). I will certainly join the group! I didnt find this site... may be somethong worth checking out for you guys who like to stock up or feed lots of dogs.. You can order in bulk, and they have a pretty big variety of meat sources. You meet a truck on certain drop days, so no shipping
        http://www.texastripe.com/
        ElliePhant
        Mom to:
        Ellie: 3.29.15 Blue GD 34" 135lbs
        Solo: 10yr. Chiweenie (rescue)
        Layla: 3yr Terrier Mix (rescue)

Comment

Don't get intimidated by some items that can be a little higher than others... they don't have to make up the whole meal, 1/4's are my go to and usually around .30 lb and then I use the green tripe and other high $$ items as toppers. For treats I bake the chicken skin which saves me a little also.

Comment

Originally posted by ElliePhant View Post
            I live in Lufkin (small town in Deep East Texas). I will certainly join the group! I didnt find this site... may be somethong worth checking out for you guys who like to stock up or feed lots of dogs.. You can order in bulk, and they have a pretty big variety of meat sources. You meet a truck on certain drop days, so no shipping
            http://www.texastripe.com/
            We have that one on our list, and I know there are several members from Texas. There's some shop there that a member posts that always has great meat sales.
            sigpic
            Chaucey
            Asaah ~ xxx Asaah LaLa, CGC, registered therapy dog

Comment

Working...
            X